Menu

CLE -vs- Saxon (help me decide)

AimeeM

Our daughter is doing well with CLE but for a few issues.

Metric measurement. We went straight into CLE 5 and she had never seen it before. Frankly, it isn't used at the private schools we are looking into for the future, so I'm not entirely concerned about it and have no real desire to teach it at this stage; but a good deal of the word problems also deal with the metric system (on top of several questions on the review section). It seems we are having to skip over most of the word problems as she reaches the end of CLE 5.

I'm not able to gauge (from the samples) how much of the same we're in for with CLE 6. I dislike feeling like she isn't getting much practice with word problems. I need to know she can apply the math she's learning. Also, I'm wondering if it would be better to get her working from a regular "textbook" -vs- the light units, if she does decide to transition back into the school.

Would it be more... prudent... to move over to Saxon (we need spiral)? I'm not sure what the difference is in skill level or where she would place in Saxon considering she fairly flew through CLE 5 easily and has also done Key to Fractions and most of Key to Decimals...

Anyone?

I would not avoid teaching metric measurement (I'm surprised that any school, public or private, would simply not teach it :001_huh:). It isn't terribly difficult, shouldn't take long, and facilitates practice with decimals.

IMO, spending a week (or whatever) teaching metric measurement would be much easier than switching curricula.

Honestly, I think it is a mistake to not teach the metric system since the metric system is used in science and medicine. Plus, it is much easier to learn than the English system. I am a nurse, and I used the metric system all the time in my career.

We are finishing up CLE 4 and have had no problems and expect CLE 5 to be the same.

Both Saxon and CLE are incremental with a lot of review. They are both traditional. I would not say that Saxon has more or less word problems that CLE. They are very similiar. Saxon uses a lot of metric as well. I can't think of any that totally avoid it.

Honestly, I think you can do more harm by switching programs too often. But I do switch to Saxon from CLE when my children test into 7/6 because I plan to use it until they graduate.

Edited by jannylynn

Momentary grass is greener syndrome. Need to stay off the boards and away from the computer. Lol.

While math (concepts) is a strong suit in general for my daughter, she is dyslexic and has working memory issues. Multiplication tables were a NIGHTMARE to memorize; I'm not looking forward to the same with metric measurement and I'm not sure it's something I want to tackle right now.

Saying that, I do have the math mammoth unit but, to be honest, neither my daughter or I can stand math mammoth units (sorry - I know the board loves it!). Is there a quick reference somewhere that I can give her to copy from?

• 4 weeks later...

Metric measurements will be easier to memorize than the US system. Metrics are all multiples of 10, so you just learn that centi is a 100th, milli is a 1000th, kilo is 1000x, etc. If you know those, you can convert anything.

It's the US system that is hard... 12 inches = 1 foot, 3 feet = 1 yard, 16 oz = 1 lb, etc. Those have to be memorized. Metric doesn't. :)

And FWIW, Saxon will teach metric also. All decent math programs should. I can't imagine a math program (or school) not teaching metric. It's a wee bit important in a lot of different fields and everyday life.

Metric measurements will be easier to memorize than the US system. Metrics are all multiples of 10, so you just learn that centi is a 100th, milli is a 1000th, kilo is 1000x, etc. If you know those, you can convert anything.

It's the US system that is hard... 12 inches = 1 foot, 3 feet = 1 yard, 16 oz = 1 lb, etc. Those have to be memorized. Metric doesn't. :)

And FWIW, Saxon will teach metric also. All decent math programs should. I can't imagine a math program (or school) not teaching metric. It's a wee bit important in a lot of different fields and everyday life.

:iagree:

Well I see a few problems here. One , you said you put her straight into Level 5. Did she test into this? Because if you did the diagnostic test you would have seen that the metric system in all levels starting in level 107 and beyond.

As for the metric system not being taught. I don't agree it shouldn't be taught. First if she were to ever have to go into higher level science starting in Chemistry. Also if she ever wants to go into the medical field they definitely use the metric system. I'm sure there are other working fields that use it too.

I agree, no proper math program would NOT teach metric. We are the ONLY country in the world to use inches, feet, yards, Fahrenheit , gallons etc.

I was never taught the metric system and when I got into higher science ( which I was good at science) it just floored me and I failed. Even not to recently I met a mom from Macedonia when we were at the Ronald McDonald House , and to have a conversation about temperatures, miles, etc, was very difficult for me because I didn't know how to convert it for her unless I had my computer with me. When my daughter was in the hospital they used the metric system for temperatures and so forth. I even measure medications and measure input and output for my daughter using milliliters. So its used more in everyday life here then you know.

I've been trying to make a very concerted effort to learn it , and to make sure my children know it. Otherwise they are at a HUGE disadvantage if they don't learn it.

Saxon and every math program I've encountered has taught the metric system.

Anyways off my soapbox there, it definitely does not sound like she was put in the right level of math for one and if she is going to attend school I will guarantee it will be in her math at some point, and if they really don't teach it. Well your totally wasting your money.

Edited by TracyR

Are there any resources other than Math Mammoth for a quick course on metric measurement? It looks (from other replies) that it is basic memorization. Would a chart work?

Well I see a few problems here. One , you said you put her straight into Level 5. Did she test into this? Because if you did the diagnostic test you would have seen that the metric system in all levels starting in level 107 and beyond.

As for the metric system not being taught. I don't agree it shouldn't be taught. First if she were to ever have to go into higher level science starting in Chemistry. Also if she ever wants to go into the medical field they definitely use the metric system. I'm sure there are other working fields that use it too.

I agree, no proper math program would NOT teach metric. We are the ONLY country in the world to use inches, feet, yards, Fahrenheit , gallons etc.

I was never taught the metric system and when I got into higher science ( which I was good at science) it just floored me and I failed. Even not to recently I met a mom from Macedonia when we were at the Ronald McDonald House , and to have a conversation about temperatures, miles, etc, was very difficult for me because I didn't know how to convert it for her unless I had my computer with me. When my daughter was in the hospital they used the metric system for temperatures and so forth. I even measure medications and measure input and output for my daughter using milliliters. So its used more in everyday life here then you know.

I've been trying to make a very concerted effort to learn it , and to make sure my children know it. Otherwise they are at a HUGE disadvantage if they don't learn it.

Saxon and every math program I've encountered has taught the metric system.

Anyways off my soapbox there, it definitely does not sound like she was put in the right level of math for one and if she is going to attend school I will guarantee it will be in her math at some point, and if they really don't teach it. Well your totally wasting your money.