Menu

Favorite summer crock pot recipes?

You can make baby back ribs in a crock pot: (I have tried them both with broiling first and without broiling. Didn't seem to make a difference to me).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-barbecue-ribs/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=slow%20cooker%20ribs&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Taco filling: take boneless skinless chicken breast and add salsa. Cook on high 4 hours or low 6-8. Shred and use in tacos.

Another taco filling:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-carnitas/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=slow%20cooker&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

Mexican casserole: Brown ground beef or turkey with chopped onion. Drain and mix with large can refried beans, 1 tsp garlic salt and 1/2 c mild red enchilada sauce. Dip corn tortillas in enchilada sauce and layer crock pot with corn tortillas, meat mixture and shredded cheddar cheese. Add another layer with dipped corn tortilla, meat mixture, dipped corn tortilla and shredded cheese. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top, (I use large can). Cook on low 4-6 hours until cheese is melted.

I haven't tried this one yet, but it is on my list to try this summer, Zesty BBQ Chicken:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/zesty-slow-cooker-chicken-barbecue/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=crockpot&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe%20Search%20Results

Enjoy!

Edited by Ferdie

I love my crockpot. I do pulled pork the same way WendyK does. I have also done the same thing with a beef roast (any kind...pot roast or rump etc.) Just add a bottle of BBQ sauce and you have BBQ beef. Serve it on buns or over mashed potatoes or rice.

I love making potroast in the crock pot too. I put the potroast in. Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix and spread that over the meat. Then add sliced onions, sliced carrots and quartered red potatoes with the skins still on. You can also add mushrooms, if your family likes them. Cook it on high all day! Sometimes I make it with out all the vegies...except the onions and then we have potroast sandwiches.

For parties during football season, I like to take a bag of frozen meatballs and put them in the crockpot with a can of spaghetti sauce. Put out a tray of sandwich rolls and some shredded mozerella and you have hot meatball subs!

Got a great recipe from AK mom4:

Sticky chicken

1 bottle (small size) of Catalina dressing

1 jar of apple jelly (I have also used cranberry sauce)

1 pkg lipton onion soup mix

chicken - can still be frozen. Should be skinless. I have use 8 thighs or 4 breasts. Boneless or not. Cook 6-8 hours on low and serve over rice. My kids LOVE it.

I've made the lentil "taco" meat from here too. I can't remember exactly but I think it was 1c lentils, 1c brown rice, 4c water ??, and 1 pkg taco seasoning. I used it as taco meat for tacos, burritos, taco salad, etc.

Verde beef is very good. Take a beef roast of choice, I like chuck. Dump in some garlic and 1 jar of green chile salsa, 1 can beef broth, 2 cans of diced green chiles. Shred the meat after it's cooked. This makes a chili you can serve over rice. Very different than regular chili and SO GOOD.

You know you can also bake potatoes in your crock? I have done as many will fit before and then had a baked potato bar. My kids love that one. you just wash and wrap each potato in foil before putting them in on low for 6-8 hours.

Our family favorite is BBQ Sandwiches. I usually throw in 3-4lbs of chicken (doesn't matter if it's frozen or thawed), a chopped white onion, a bottle of bbq sauce, about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of italian dressing and cook on low all day. About 30 min before we are ready to eat I shred the chicken and stir it back in to the sauce. Sometimes I add a little extra bbq sauce at that point. It is delish!!!