Menu

Help me dream - new vehicle wanted for tall people

My son turned 12 in May. He is 5ft 7 and wears a size 14 men's shoe. The pediatrician has said for about 3 years now that if he stays on this path he will be 6ft 8 ish, he could actually be taller. We have a small Olds Bravada (like a Chevy Trailblazer) and I can tell he is getting cramped in the back, even if he doesn't complain.

Right now we don't have any extra money due to pay cuts, but I really want a new vehicle. It is on the top of my list if dh gets a new job. What is something that has great foot and leg room in the back? We have looked at a friend's full size van and it seems to have more space than my mom's Yukon. Even my dad's GMC truck has more legroom than I have now in his king cab. Whatever I buy, I would want it to last for years. Is there a small economical car that is known for having lots of legroom?

Volvos are good for tall people. Hyundai SOnata was suprisingly comfortable in the back for adults but none of us are that tall (6 ft. at the tallest). I do have to say that there are cars out there that are uncomfortable for me and I am only 5'6.5" but do sit tall since I have short legs. So I would really ask for experiences of really tall people.

Oddly enough - my VW Golf is great for tall people.

It is one of the only compact/midsize cars that my DH is comfortable in (he's 6'2"). He has a ton of head-room left (I'd say there's about 6 inches above his head when he's driving).

That's actually one of the reasons we bought it :)

Based on some quick googling, so no btdt, I'd look at the Honda Fit and the VW Jetta if you want small and economical. But I'd probably be looking at minivans with captain's chairs in the second row. I think you'd find a few which would be comfortable enough for just about any height. The benefit of the minivan is that you have the tall roof to accommodate tall people with a long torso, not just those with long legs. When you go to check these out, try to bring someone tall with you. :001_smile:

Thanks for all the ideas :) I plan on beginning my research in earnest now :D I don't mind something big like a truck or suburban, since we often have to pull a trailer, but I would also just love to have a smallish car that doesn't cost $60 to fill up.

It could also be he hit his growth spurt early. how tall was he at 18 months?

1ds towered over everyone in middle school. (made it real easy to spot him in a crowd of boys) He's 5'11 1/2" and wears a size 12 1/2 shoe. oh, and he's 23. 2ds was slow out of the gate and tended to the average in middle school. but, he was also taller at 18months than 1ds. He's now 6'1" and wears an 11 shoe. He turns 20 next month. maybe he'll grow some more and maybe he's done.

(but the MOST bizarre is 1ds wears a tall suit, and 2ds wears a regular. he got my short arms.)

dh is 5'9".

I would have to look back at 18 months, but he has always been taller with big feet. Always at the 95th%ile or higher at all ages in check ups. People have always thought he was much older than he actually is. His birthmother was 6 ft and only described his bio-father as 'tall'. Either way, with size 14 feet, he needs more foot space in the vehicle he rides in.

Volvos are good for tall people......

Oddly enough - my VW Golf is great for tall people......

Our Golf has wayyyy more leg room than our Volvo. We have an S40 for our son, (The smaller Volvo- equal to a Honda Civic) and the leg room is horrid. Even my 5yo is cramped in the back seat. The Golf is small, but much better designed IMHO.

I prefer Hondas or Toyotas (I drive an Accord with great leg room), but if I had to pick, I would go VW over Volvo, for economy size.

My 6'4" son and 6'6" husband have no problems in my Yukon, even in the back seat. My daughter drives a VW Jetta and they have enough room for their legs in there, too. My husband drives an Acadia (which we don't love) and long legs aren't a problem at all in the back seat or front seat in there. I want a Subaru next but tall people don't ride around with me anymore, they are all grown up.