Menu

FUFI roll call?

freeindeed

I will be using Further Up and Further In (a unit study based on The Chronicle of Narnia series) with my ds9 this upcoming school year. You can view it at this link:

http://www.cadroncreek.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Narnia_001

I am just wondering if anyone else is using this for the upcoming school year. I thought we could share ideas, resources, activities, websites, etc. I am part of the FUFI Yahoo group & I just found some good stuff in their files. Also, here is a link to a free lapbook for The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/lion_witch_wardrobe.php

That is our plan come September. I am hoping to combine it with SOTW. I went on Ebay and bought my son a "Peter" suit of armor for a song. Still looking for my girls. Can't wait to go to IKEA on a field trip -you know...jumping out of a wardrobe yelling "FOR NARNIA!"

Last year we did the Prairie Primer. That was great but reading the Long Winter during January made for a really looonnng winter.

That is our plan come September. I am hoping to combine it with SOTW. I went on Ebay and bought my son a "Peter" suit of armor for a song. Still looking for my girls. Can't wait to go to IKEA on a field trip -you know...jumping out of a wardrobe yelling "FOR NARNIA!"

Last year we did the Prairie Primer. That was great but reading the Long Winter during January made for a really looonnng winter.

:lol: I love the IKEA idea!!! I might have the kids do that in Wal-Mart so we can make it into one of those "People of Wal-Mart" videos.:tongue_smilie:

I'm still debating using this. It does look like a lot of fun, and I can see so many places in it for expansion/further enrichment!

If we use it, I would add in related literature (Nebit's Bastables... i.e. The Treasure Seekers, Sherlock Holmes, Shakespeare, Arabian Nights, etc.); possible history such as Our Island Story or Dicken's Children's History of England, OR books related to time periods mentioned in the Chronicles of Narnia, such as WWII. I also have a lovely, very readable history book called Builders of the Old World that might work well simply as supplementary history.

Scientifically speaking, I might add in The One Small Square books by Donald Silver, relating them to habitats mentioned in the books, such as Desert while reading The Horse and His Boy.

ETA: I would also add in something like this book for deeper understanding/reference.

Edited by momto2Cs

I'm still debating using this. It does look like a lot of fun, and I can see so many places in it for expansion/further enrichment!

If we use it, I would add in related literature (Nebit's Bastables... i.e. The Treasure Seekers, Sherlock Holmes, Shakespeare, Arabian Nights, etc.); possible history such as Our Island Story or Dicken's Children's History of England, OR books related to time periods mentioned in the Chronicles of Narnia, such as WWII. I also have a lovely, very readable history book called Builders of the Old World that might work well simply as supplementary history.

Scientifically speaking, I might add in The One Small Square books by Donald Silver, relating them to habitats mentioned in the books, such as Desert while reading The Horse and His Boy.

ETA: I would also add in something like this book for deeper understanding/reference.

Those are great ideas. I am going to supplement, too. And of course chase rabbit trails as our interest is sparked!

I decided NOT to use FUFI. It just doesn't resonate with me. So I am putting together my own Narnia study, using sources like this article, and this book. So far, supplemental resources include:

Greek and Norse mythology

1001 Arabian Nights

Shakespeare

A book on King Arthur

Sherlock Holmes

Several of E. Nesbit's books

The Princess and the Goblin

The Snow Queen (Hans Christian Anderson)

Spenser's Faerie Queene

Celtic and English fairy tales (may just read through several of Andrew Lang's fairy books)

A biography of C.S. Lewis

There will be more, I am sure. I think there is a tremendous amount of potential!

I decided NOT to use FUFI. It just doesn't resonate with me. So I am putting together my own Narnia study, using sources like this article, and this book. So far, supplemental resources include:

1001 Arabian Nights

Shakespeare

A book on King Arthur

Sherlock Holmes

Spenser's Faerie Queene

Celtic and English fairy tales (may just read through several of Andrew Lang's fairy books)

There will be more, I am sure. I think there is a tremendous amount of potential!

*fingers in ears* LALALALALLA! You're making me want to change my mine again!!! :auto:

:D j/k - love the resource list. I'll have to give it a good look as it would actually be affordable for our current budget.

Momto2Cs do you recommend that biography specifically or is it what you had? It's a good price on Amazon, I'm thinking of getting it. Narnia might be a great morning basket theme - both academic and spiritual elements.

Momto2Cs do you recommend that biography specifically or is it what you had? It's a good price on Amazon, I'm thinking of getting it. Narnia might be a great morning basket theme - both academic and spiritual elements.

I do recommend that biography specifically. I liked it when I borrowed it from the library, and will probably go ahead with a purchase of it. There are probably other good ones out there as well, but this one was written at a level that's good for reading to my kids.

1001 Arabian Nights

Shakespeare

A book on King Arthur

Sherlock Holmes

Spenser's Faerie Queene

Those are great ideas. I'm doing FUFI, but these are some great add-on ideas.:)

I'm following along with this thread, as I've thought about using FUFI before.

I already have most of the books suggested here as add-ins, but I would need to buy a few of the resources. This could be the makings for a great year!

Do you actually get through all the books in one year, or is this probably a two year study? I can't imagine covering all I'd like within a one-year time frame.

One more question....What does Sherlock Holmes have to do with Narnia?

For anyone on the fence about FUFI, I have it and ROAR. ROAR is a wonderful way to go through Narnia with the kids without getting that bogged down feeling of having so much of the school time tied to the series. I think that I am going to use ROAR as my main spine for Narnia Literature and use FUFI as a supplement for ideas only.

I subscribed to this thread, but I'll have to come back to it in a couple months. I'm seriously planning on FUFI for the '13-'14 school year, for my then fifth and third graders, but I need to focus on finishing this year's curricula planning before I dig into FUFI too much. :tongue_smilie: (Some of that planning for this year includes Cadron's Where the Brook and River meet for my rising seventh grader. :001_smile: )

IEW has writing lessons based on Narnia that would be a nice add-on/tie-in with little to no prep!

Something more to look at!

For anyone on the fence about FUFI, I have it and ROAR. ROAR is a wonderful way to go through Narnia with the kids without getting that bogged down feeling of having so much of the school time tied to the series. I think that I am going to use ROAR as my main spine for Narnia Literature and use FUFI as a supplement for ideas only.

Thanks - I'll look at ROAR too.

Do you actually get through all the books in one year, or is this probably a two year study? I can't imagine covering all I'd like within a one-year time frame.

One more question....What does Sherlock Holmes have to do with Narnia?

It is meant to be a one year study, but I'm sure it could fill two pretty easily.

As far as Sherlock Holmes, it is a reference in The Magician's Nephew:

"In those days Mr. Sherlock Holmes was still living in Baker Street and the Bastables [Treasure Seekers, E. Nesbit] were looking for treasure in Lewisham Road."

FUFI says that the mention of Sherlock Holmes as if he were real sets the tone that this [Magician's Nephew] is a fictional book set in a certain time period. Also recommends reading a story like The Speckled Band.

I'd love to see what you come up with! Sounds yummy! :lurk5:

1001 Arabian Nights

Shakespeare

A book on King Arthur

Sherlock Holmes

Spenser's Faerie Queene

Momto2Cs, do you think FUFI is worth it as a starting point? I have been thinking about using this with my two oldest in 2013-2014, but now I am on the fence.

What is ROAR?

I think FUFI is good in a lot of ways. Without browsing through it, I might not have so many ideas now. However for me personally, it was unbalanced. Too much Bible work, some days loaded down with projects, and then nothing BUT Bible work for a week or two.

I also prefer the books in publication order, rather than "chronological". FUFI has them the second way. Very nitpick-y of me, i suppose, but there you have it!

ROAR!

Edited by momto2Cs

It is meant to be a one year study, but I'm sure it could fill two pretty easily.

As far as Sherlock Holmes, it is a reference in The Magician's Nephew:

"In those days Mr. Sherlock Holmes was still living in Baker Street and the Bastables [Treasure Seekers, E. Nesbit] were looking for treasure in Lewisham Road."

FUFI says that the mention of Sherlock Holmes as if he were real sets the tone that this [Magician's Nephew] is a fictional book set in a certain time period. Also recommends reading a story like The Speckled Band.

Ah, I see. I have to admit, I'll be reading through the series this summer in order to be ready to work with it in the fall. I also have a copy of the Focus on the Family CD recording, though it is abridged. I thought it would be nice to listen to in the evenings as a review.

One book I just ordered was The Keys to the Chronicles, by Marvin Hinten. I've looked through some things on Amazon, and this one looked better than others. I think I also ordered the ROAR book, too.

With all of that, is it still necessary to get a copy of FUFI, or do you think I'd do just as well with what I'll have on hand? I do have most of the books you've listed as resources, and others I can get from Librivox or the library.

I think FUFI is good in a lot of ways. Without browsing through it, I might not have so many ideas now. However for me personally, it was unbalanced. Too much Bible work, some days loaded down with projects, and then nothing BUT Bible work for a week or two.

I also prefer the books in publication order, rather than "chronological". FUFI has them the second way. Very nitpick-y of me, i suppose, but there you have it!

ROAR!

Oh, I'm just now seeing this, so it probably answers my question in the other post.

I think that's something that gave me pause when I looked at it a few days ago. I also want to cover the books in an order using LWAW first, not Magician's Nephew first. I don't know how much that would affect using FUFI, but if other things build on the first book, it might be a bit sticky to use.

Editing to add......

Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre episode of "The Snow Queen" is on hulu.com for free viewing. I'm adding that to my list.

Edited by Poke Salad Annie

ROAR!

Thanks. I am going to have to revisit this thread in February when I have the itch to start planning.

Ack! Not nitpick-y at all. I have been curious which way FUFI went and if it was tweakable. I am sold on the chronological order.

With all of that, is it still necessary to get a copy of FUFI, or do you think I'd do just as well with what I'll have on hand? I do have most of the books you've listed as resources, and others I can get from Librivox or the library.

It might be worthwhile for the projects, and if you want to tie it into science. Also, they took a lot of time and effort lining up all the relevant Bible quotes.

For me, I just never do well following someone else's curriculum as is, so I figure rather than tweak it, I might as well just write/plan my own.

I'd be happy to share my plans, as I get through them, if anyone wants!

Edited by momto2Cs

I have only read one page of this. We did FUFI three years ago and really liked it.

We really didn't add much. We got the ROAR! devotional for a buck from CBD. It was nice but not needed.

We also got the Veritas Press book study that had some good games and some fill in the blanks (which I don't tend to use).

It was a good study and a great year.

I have only read one page of this. We did FUFI three years ago and really liked it.

We really didn't add much. We got the ROAR! devotional for a buck from CBD. It was nice but not needed.

We also got the Veritas Press book study that had some good games and some fill in the blanks (which I don't tend to use).

It was a good study and a great year.

Great to hear the positive review! I am really looking forward to using it with my ds9. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Finished my Narnia-supplemental-literature plans up. You can see them here.

How timely! I received my copies of ROAR and The Keys to the Chronicles this week. I've skimmed through the ROAR book, and I like what I see so far. I haven't had a chance to do anything else with the other book, but I hope to look over it this weekend.

I decided not to buy the FUFI study for now, but will use the two books I ordered and see what I have on hand to expand upon our study. This looks to be a very interesting and exciting year.

I will say though, that I had almost changed my mind about doing the Narnia study, and had edged toward following Year 4 of Ambleside. There's so much good literature in your post that I don't really see a need to go with Ambleside this year. I think we will probably continue our reading of Our Island Story for now.

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas. I plan on sorting through what I have on hand to see what I have that is comparable.

• 1 month later...
Finished my Narnia-supplemental-literature plans up. You can see them here.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I have FUFI but I don't love it. My son does want to study Narnia for the year, and this will make it better than doing just FUFI.

Thanks!

Edited by 5 Hikers

• 3 weeks later...

ROAR!

Thanks. I am going to have to revisit this thread in February when I have the itch to start planning.

Ack! Not nitpick-y at all. I have been curious which way FUFI went and if it was tweakable. I am sold on the chronological order.

I just re-read my post when this was bumped back up. Apparently it is too late to edit, but the order of publication is how we like to read them. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted. Not that anyone cares, but it drives me crazy to leave it as is.:tongue_smilie:

I just re-read my post when this was bumped back up. Apparently it is too late to edit, but the order of publication is how we like to read them. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted. Not that anyone cares, but it drives me crazy to leave it as is.:tongue_smilie:

Hey, I care! :001_smile:

I also updated my Narnia lit list, putting everything in the order we intend to read through it.

I am three weeks into FUFI with my ds9 and we LOVE it! We have had some great discussions already. I am so glad that we chose this study.

Thanks for updating. As much as I love momto2C's list, I feel like I could use the hand-holding (I think) FUFI would provide.

How are other FUFI users finding it?

We used it many years ago, so I can't give you specifics, though I remember thoroughly enjoying it. I do remember it being *unbalanced* but as almost any lit unit study goes, if the lessons are based on the text it will reflect the topics found in the story. So one chapter may not yield any science, and 5 may relate to the Bible. That didn't bother me. I didn't want a textbook program where each subject is neatly laid out each day. I could always extend any topic if I choose to.

I remember loving the way footnotes are taught, but my memory is vague on all else as my ds has doubled in height since we used FUFI. :D

We used it many years ago, so I can't give you specifics, though I remember thoroughly enjoying it. I do remember it being *unbalanced* but as almost any lit unit study goes, if the lessons are based on the text it will reflect the topics found in the story. So one chapter may not yield any science, and 5 may relate to the Bible. That didn't bother me. I didn't want a textbook program where each subject is neatly laid out each day. I could always extend any topic if I choose to.

I remember loving the way footnotes are taught, but my memory is vague on all else as my ds has doubled in height since we used FUFI. :D

:iagree:

Also, when there are several activities for one chapter that I know we would enjoy, then I'll spread that chapter's activities out for two days. I *love* the flexibility of it. Another fun thing we've done is to "google" topics. We've discovered some great websites this way, as well as some awesome online games for the food chain and for the layers of earth's atmosphere. It is such a fun way to learn! Another great thing is that ds9 is learning old-fashioned dictionary skills by looking up vocabulary words.:)

I bought FUFI years ago, along with the books and a set of the audiobooks... and then my ds informed me that he had no interest whatsoever in reading the Narnia books.

"I'll just put them away for next year," I said.

And then I completely forgot about it. For years.

So now ds is 12, and I'm wondering if he is too old for FUFI. I wouldn't want to use it as a complete curriculum, but as more of an add-on. We probably wouldn't do the Bible-related assignments, either.

Could FUFI work for a 12yo, or is my ds too old for it? It's not the end of the world if we don't use it, but I thought it might be kind of fun.

I also just bought Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings, but I'll probably end up putting it away for next year.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Next year. :rolleyes: And then I won't see it again until ds is halfway through grad school. :tongue_smilie:

Could FUFI work for a 12yo, or is my ds too old for it? It's not the end of the world if we don't use it, but I thought it might be kind of fun.

I also just bought Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings, but I'll probably end up putting it away for next year.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Next year. :rolleyes: And then I won't see it again until ds is halfway through grad school. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, FUFI could work for a 12yo. It is geared towards fourth through eighth grades. You could choose some of the more challenging activities.

Yes, FUFI could work for a 12yo. It is geared towards fourth through eighth grades. You could choose some of the more challenging activities.

Thank you! I was thinking that it was geared more toward 4th-5th grades. Looks like it's time to take a closer look at it!

Thanks again! :001_smile:

• 1 year later...

I'm glad to find this thread! My 7 year old son is a Narnia maniac and his 10 year old brother enjoys it, as well. I'm beginning to consider this for next year as 10 year old doesn't want to repeat ancients (which is where we'll be headed chronologically). I see the website indicates you would still need to add in history.  This seems like a very full study already, what history could you add in that wouldn't be TOO much. If you are doing Diana Waring's Ancient Civilizations CDs as part of the study is that enough?  or that just a suggested resource?

Does it have enough science for a 6th grader?  If no, do you add a full additional curriculum or just extra studies on the covered topics or rabbit trails?

I'm glad to find this thread! My 7 year old son is a Narnia maniac and his 10 year old brother enjoys it, as well. I'm beginning to consider this for next year as 10 year old doesn't want to repeat ancients (which is where we'll be headed chronologically). I see the website indicates you would still need to add in history.  This seems like a very full study already, what history could you add in that wouldn't be TOO much. If you are doing Diana Waring's Ancient Civilizations CDs as part of the study is that enough?  or that just a suggested resource?

Does it have enough science for a 6th grader?  If no, do you add a full additional curriculum or just extra studies on the covered topics or rabbit trails?

It's really a unit study, so it's a "smattering" of short bites of info and activity ideas for a range of subjects -- a number of cooking/recipe ideas, and some for various arts (photography, art, music). For history and science, there is a suggested topic for further research about once a week. Not much instruction or information, mostly just ideas for activities. Most of the meat of the program is around the Bible lessons, with Scripture reading, questions and application.

re: the history and science and adding additional curriculum vs. extra studies

Depends on how rigorous you are about WTM, or how willing you are to set aside a formal / chronological type of education for a year of unit study. If it were me, I'd also be considering how excited my DC would be about doing it -- excitement often translates into a lot of motivated research and time spent on amazing projects and ideas they come up with themselves, which is a great way to foster that love of learning and how to self-educate!

There are a lot of cool things in FUFI, but we ultimately passed on it, as it would have been way too "lite" for DSs, who were grades 7 and 8 that year. However, I think it's perfect for the ages of your DSs (10yo and 7yo)!

As always, SilverMoon, your comments are so helpful!  I need to move to where you live and have you mentor me!  My oldest used the Diana Waring stuff in a co-op.  I didn't love her overly animated speaking style, but he enjoyed it.  Is that resource scheduled in the lesson plan?

I just have kids that really like to "get school done"  so I'm hesitant to pick a curriculum that is going to take longer than necessary.  Of course, the flip side of this is that if they like it maybe they won't mind it.  My 10 year old likes artsy kind of things - right now he's been making a collection of origami finger puppets of multiple themes.  He also dislikes reading (which just really hurts my soul!) but has enjoyed Narnia.  I've been planning on MFW or back to MOH, but he doesn't want to do ancients again!  So I was thinking if we did this Narnia study and just listened to the Waring CDs or SOTW CDs, maybe that would be enough. 

As much as I want to be a classical educator, it just doesn't fit my kids.  It's the education I would have LOVED growing up - lit based and in-depth.  My kids are more science focused and "get 'er done!" minded. 

When I look at Veritas Press I thought each grade has a different history.  Looks like ancients is 2nd grade...does the curriculum work well for other grades?  Obviously I don't understand VP very well!  I've looked at it several times but always decided I couldn't run multiple history programs.

One other question - can you tell me if this is scheduled for 4 or 5 days a week and for how many weeks?