Menu

Do double-wide homes have spongy floors naturally?

We were just told this by our landlords "property manager". That double-wide homes naturally have spongy floors... ours go up and down a little (enough to get vertigo sometimes) and you can feel it bounce when someone else walks on it.

He said it was natural.

This is the first double-wide we have ever lived in so I don't know if it is true or he is just being his normal full-of-BS self.

I wouldn't say it's natural, but some of them definitely do that. My in-laws have one as their second floor set on top of a walk-out basement. (Does that make sense?) If my toddler runs from one end of the house to the other, the whole house shakes.

I have never lived in a double-wide until we moved into this place, but our home does not move at all. It does have extra supports underneath according to our home inspection. A million other parts of it drive me crazy, but the floor is solid.

No, they don't. Spongy floors in any type of mobile home or trailer are a sign the floor is bad.

Lived in trailers and rv's my entire life until college. I've lived in one with spongy floors, but we knew the floor was going as it had dry rot in part of it.

:iagree:

In older ones, yes. They used to be made with particle board instead of OSB, so any moisture would rot the floor out, or make it "expand" and be spongy.

The one we live in now has a spot where there is NO floor under the linoleum. We are waiting for it to be fixed. They aren't easy to fix, though.

The floors in our place in FL were so bad that there were actually "waves" in the livingroom floor! Various parts of the floor fell through, but it was always due to water damage.

Lived in mobile homes most of my life (and dh's grandfather rents out a bunch of trailers, which we have lived in 2, we have bought the 2nd one from him under land contract) and floors should not be spongy. My mom's home has spongy floors and holes covered with plywood where the floor has just fallen through because she doesn't have the money to get anything different or get the floors properly replaced. Dh's grandfather says the landlord should relocate you if the floors are bad in more than one room and pay to have someone redo the floors and not with particle board and should not have carpet in the bathroom or kitchen (he says it's the biggest cause of floor rotting in a moble home)