Menu

Knitters - Can you help me learn?

Over the years, I have tried many times to learn to knit. I can crochet very well, but knitting - I get as far as casting on, then somehow get lost.

Can anyone recommend a website that teaches beginning knitting - and makes it really easy to follow the instructions? I'll need to start all over AGAIN, with learning to cast on, as it's been years since I last attempted this.

Also, once I hopefully learn to knit, is it difficult to make socks? Is there an easy pattern?

Is there any advice you can give me that just might make the difference in my succeeding in learning to knit this time?

I will certainly appreciate any help you can give!

TIA!

Also, once I hopefully learn to knit, is it difficult to make socks? Is there an easy pattern?

TIA!

When learning socks, I started with Christmas stockings so I could work with larger gage yarn. For me, once I understod the pattern, making socks, baby booties, etc. was easy. I like using circular needles also.

This is my fav site:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

Taking a class can really help. I crocheted first also & tried to teach myself knitting with a library book. The class made the difference for me. I *love* knitting now!

Happy knitting!

:iagree:

This is the website that I was going to suggest as well...they have some wonderful tutorial videos.

This is my fav site:

Taking a class can really help. I crocheted first also & tried to teach myself knitting with a library book. The class made the difference for me. I *love* knitting now!

Happy knitting!

:iagree: Same for me; I took a class and KH helped me between classes. I learned how to knit well first and then taught myself crochet.

If you know how to crochet, look up continental knitting on youtube. You hold the yarn just like crochet. I tried about 3 times to teach myself to knit in the English method (throwing the yarn) and I said too many bad words. Then I found the continental method and got it right away.

This is my fav site:

Happy knitting!

I'll check out the site. I want/need to do the lessons for free . . . so online is where I'll have to start . . .

When learning socks, I started with Christmas stockings so I could work with larger gage yarn. For me, once I understod the pattern, making socks, baby booties, etc. was easy. I like using circular needles also.

Circular needles? Guess I'll need to stop by Michael's next time we're over that way (in about three months). Can you do most knitting with straight needles? I have a set of those. Now I am wondering if there are different sizes of needles, as there are for crocheting?

If you know how to crochet, look up continental knitting on youtube. You hold the yarn just like crochet. I tried about 3 times to teach myself to knit in the English method (throwing the yarn) and I said too many bad words. Then I found the continental method and got it right away.

I never knew there were different methods. I'll check on continental - perhaps that will be the answer for me! I always wondered why crocheting came so easily to me but knitting has been so hard.

THANKS, everyone, for your help! I appreciate it very much!

Circular needles? Guess I'll need to stop by Michael's next time we're over that way (in about three months). Can you do most knitting with straight needles? I have a set of those. Now I am wondering if there are different sizes of needles, as there are for crocheting?

I never knew there were different methods. I'll check on continental - perhaps that will be the answer for me! I always wondered why crocheting came so easily to me but knitting has been so hard.

THANKS, everyone, for your help! I appreciate it very much!

Yes, there are MANY different sizes of knitting needles to accomodate varying weights of yarn. Some are about the diameter of a toothpick, and others are bigger around than your finger. I'd recommend starting with a worsted weigh yarn and size 8 needles, give or take a size.

Are you a member of ravelry? You have to apply for membership and wait to be approved but it's free. TONS of patterns, many free, for both knitting and crocheting. Their forums are very active, and I believe they have over 2 million members. I love the way Ravelry is organized. You can search for a pattern by name, yarn weight, designer, etc., and can see other peoples' projects made from that pattern. I have found Ravelry to be extremely helpful.

http://ravelry.com

I learned knitting first and later taught myself to crochet, so I found crocheting harder! Both just took time to learn though. You will probably knit tightly at first; most people do. Be patient and have fun with it!

Can you do most knitting with straight needles? I have a set of those.

You can do many projects on straight needles. I'd suggest a scarf as a first project, because you don't need to worry about fitting. However, if you want to knit "in the round", which means going around and around in a circle, technically a spiral, then you need circular needles or double pointed ones.

I never knew there were different methods. I'll check on continental - perhaps that will be the answer for me!

Circulars are great for hats, socks, stockings, etc as they allow you to easily & quickly make a tube. As you get comfortable with knitting, you can also use two circular needles for flat projects. Sounds weird, I know, but it's really cool! I recommend starting with size 7 or 8 straight needles though & worsted weight yarn as mentioned in a previous post.

I knit continental, AKA German knitting around my hometown. This allows me to hold and feed the yarn into my needles just as I did for crocheting.

All this knitting talk has me excited to start another project!:D

If you know how to crochet, look up continental knitting on youtube. You hold the yarn just like crochet.

:iagree: I was going to suggest this as well.

's the video I used. This should get you started. When I first started this method my hand cramped up. But when I adjusted my hold a bit (I don't hold my fingers way out like she does) it was much more comfortable and natural for me. You'll eventually find what works for you.

Good luck!

ETA: I usually also recommend you look at a kid's knitting book. My favorite is Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick.

Yes, there are MANY different sizes of knitting needles to accomodate varying weights of yarn. Some are about the diameter of a toothpick, and others are bigger around than your finger. I'd recommend starting with a worsted weigh yarn and size 8 needles, give or take a size.

Are you a member of ravelry? You have to apply for membership and wait to be approved but it's free. TONS of patterns, many free, for both knitting and crocheting. Their forums are very active, and I believe they have over 2 million members. I love the way Ravelry is organized. You can search for a pattern by name, yarn weight, designer, etc., and can see other peoples' projects made from that pattern. I have found Ravelry to be extremely helpful.

I learned knitting first and later taught myself to crochet, so I found crocheting harder! Both just took time to learn though. You will probably knit tightly at first; most people do. Be patient and have fun with it!

:iagree:Join Ravelry! I can't imagine being without it. and have fun! Knitting is a great hobby/stress reducer.

I will look into ravelry this evening when the pressures of the day have eased! It sounds like a most helpful site - and just what I need.

I don't know what size the needles are that I've had for more years than I can remember - got them originally when I was in about seventh grade (give or take) and that is MANY moons ago. I'll dig them out sometime this week and check.

Yes, I think my beginning attempts at knitting will be tight - I still remember (and have) one of the first things I crocheted - a teddy bear for my then-boyfriend-now-dh - the crocheting is oh-so-tight and the finished product is about half the size of subsequent teddy bears I crocheted for gifts for various people!

:iagree: I was going to suggest this as well.
's the video I used. This should get you started. When I first started this method my hand cramped up. But when I adjusted my hold a bit (I don't hold my fingers way out like she does) it was much more comfortable and natural for me. You'll eventually find what works for you.

Good luck!

ETA: I usually also recommend you look at a kid's knitting book. My favorite is Kids Knitting by Melanie Falick.

Thanks for the link! I appreciate not having to google, hoping to find the *right* thing. I am curious and eager to see this continental method - I am hoping that I can finally learn this craft.

Someone suggested starting with a scarf, which is probably what I will do. I would eventually like to make socks as I have such a hard time finding winter socks for myself that are comfortable and warm (and don't break the budget)!

If you have a local yarn store you can usually take classes there. It can be a good idea to find one because they can also help if you get stuck or don't understand something. Sometimes it can really, really help to have a live person talking you through something. For example, no amount of videos are going to teach me how to colour strand. I've tried. So, I am taking a class in July. I will master the Fair Isle if it is the last thing I do!

That said, I taught myself to knit using the book "Kids Knitting" by Melanie Falick. I borrowed it from the library. Libraries are often a good source of knitting books. It can be a good way to try out a book and see if you want to buy it.

Ravelry, as you have found, is excellent.

And yes, finding the method that works for you is great. When I discovered continental knitting it was like a whole new world opened up to me. Everything made much more sense. But, other people have the opposite opinion so you need to find what works for you.

Someone suggested starting with a scarf, which is probably what I will do. I would eventually like to make socks as I have such a hard time finding winter socks for myself that are comfortable and warm (and don't break the budget)!

Just a little more encouragement on your journey. I have a friend who is a long-time crocheter. Her knitting experience was one square--cast on, knit, purl, cast off. She saw my hand-knit socks and expressed interest, so I cast on a sock, knit a few rounds of the cuff and handed them off to her. She proceeded to finish that sock, then the of half of the pair for herself, then 5 more pairs--one for each person in her family. All after only knitting one square. I wish you equal success!

I would not start with a scarf. Even now I don't have the patience to finish a scarf!! I would do a washcloth/dishcloth. That will get you comfy with the basics but not leave you working on the same basic stitch for a month straight. You can do some projects on straight needles, but you can do all those same projects on circular needles plus many other kinds of projects! I love my circs. But to start with, what you have is fine. I second knittinghelp, youtube, and Rav. That's most of how I learned to knit.

I love Youtube for how-to videos on different techniques/stitches. I even used it to learn to spin.

Ravelry is great for finding patterns, yarn, asking questions, keeping track of needles, books, stash, etc. And for meeting other fiber arts people.

As for needles:

Most people start on straight needles and you can do a lot on them, scarves, shawls, sweater pieces, etc. But if you want to start making socks or hats you are going to want to invest in double pointed needles or circulars.

I find that as an experienced knitter that I 95% of the time when I make something, I pull out my circulars. I like my interchangeable set from Knitpicks the best because it has sizes from 4-17. And I have cable lengths from 24 to 80". For socks, I bought 40" circulars in sizes 1 to 3.

If you plan on getting into sock knitting, I found it was worth it to take a class at the local shop. But if you know someone who knits socks, they will probably be glad to help get you hooked. Socks are addicting.

Library books are also good for learning. Teach Yourself Visually Knitting is a great one that has lots of pictures.

Good luck.:001_smile: