Menu

The Teaching Company Sale and Which Courses Do You Recommend?

I just received an email that I actually read from the Teaching Company. Every course is on sale and there is a code for an extra $10 off. (Code=HN74)

I was just wondering if anyone has any favorite courses covering anything to do with Medieval or Renaissance history?

Could you leave a reply with any experiences good or bad with something your family tried?

Here is our experience with the Teaching Company last year.

Last year for Ancient History we used:

The Iliad of Homer-Elizabeth Vandiver: My son found this very useful in understanding and getting a little deeper into the book.

The Odyssey of Homer-Elizabeth Vandiver: Same as the Iliad.

Books that Made Have Made History-Rufus Fears: We all enjoyed watching this series and learned a lot. Highly recommend. (We haven't finished the whole series but we will as we get to more modern literature.)

Last year for American History (AO Year 9):

Early American History: Native Americans through Forty-Niners-Linwood Thompson: My son looked forward to watching these each week. We used them as a supplement to his history studies. Definitely for junior high to high school age, although I learned a lot of interesting stuff from watching this series.

Anyway, hope someone can give me some direction for Medieval and Renaissance courses that are especially good.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

OK-Here's what we have:

Aeneid by Vandiver: (download) I am using this for personal education as I'm teaching the Aeneid in the fall. I really enjoy Vandiver so far and find the information quite interesting.

Middle Ages by Daidleader (both high and low, DVD) I know that he gets good reviews on this board. My dd and I found him boring and the material sluggish. He has a few annoying habits verbally and physically. We both think he speaks through his nose and has a horrible way of extending the word "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand."

WWI by Vejas Gabriel Liulevicius (download) This is a course I and my dd highly recommend. We enjoyed the speaker and the subject matter. I would get another TC course by Liulevicius, he's great! He has a great way of managing huge subject matter. He has a good sense of humor that pokes out every once in a while.

HTH,

Holly in N NV

My son and I absolutely loved all the Medieval DVDs by Philip Daileader. He does have some interesting habits, but we got a real kick out of them. We have watched all three of them--early, high, and late middle ages, and I can't recommend them highly enough.

I can't remember who taught it but he was really enthusiastic about his subject and fun to listen to.We have the Middle Ages ones (just started listening to them) and I know what you mean about the speech pattern although I just take it as just his way of reading the material.I know I wouldn't be able to find people IRL so knowledgable about their subjects so i'm willing to put up with a minor inconvenience like that.

(if not all of them) are taught by Professor Robert Greenberg, and he is indeed one of their very best lecturers. His knowledge and enthusiasm for music are profound! I'm almost sure he's the one who teaches on The Symphony.

Other courses that either my husband or I have listened to and can recommend are:

How to Listen to and Understand Great Music - Professor Robert Greenberg (Excellent! A bestseller every year!)

The History of the English Language - Professor Seth Lerer (Very, very good; but I'm kind of a language nut!)

Churchill - J. Rufus Fears (My husband listened to this one and really liked it.)

Shakespeare: Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies - Peter Sacchio

Foundations of Western Civilization - Thomas Noble

Classics of American Literature - Arnold Weinstein (Note: I don't care for this one as well; he has some good information about each book, but I guess I don't always agree with his interpretations.)

All of the high school level courses, such as the ones taught by Linwood Thompson, go on sale sometime in the summer, I believe. Just check the "Search" bar for the Teaching Company's website, and you can find out if any are on sale now.

HTH!

Michelle,

Did you think that the Shakespeare course was well done for high schoolers? That is actually one that I am considering purchasing but would love to hear your thoughts prior to doing so.

Thanks for the reviews of the other courses and I agree with the Linwood Thompson courses....very entertaining and informative but like I said in my previous post, jr. high or a high schooler who likes to be entertained.

Thanks everyone!

Has anyone gone through the "Era of Crusades" course? Which Foundations of Western Civilization course, I or II? What about the "Italian Renaissance" course?

Thanks in advance,

Barb

PS I have been allotted a portion of our IRS "incentive" money for homeschooling and I thought this way I could use the courses for two children and then recoup part of my money later when we are finished. It makes my money go even farther. :)

I have these three in my shopping cart to go with our history and literature studies - unless anyone has found these to be disappointing??

** High School Level—Early American History: Native Americans through the Forty-Niners

** Vikings

** Ethics of Aristotle

My son, age 12, loved this series last year. We watched one segment each week and I went over the questions in the guidebook with him and he always was able to narrate back easily the answers.

I must warn you that the professor dresses up in costumes and uses funny accents to give each and every lecture. My son loved it but I can see how some teens might think it was "babyish". Just a little warning.

If you are interested in purchasing the VHS version of this course from me, I would be willing to sell it for half the DVD price or $40. We had no trouble using the VHS version. He would just watch a lesson and then leave the tape where it was and pick up where he left off the next week.

Let me know if you are interested or if anyone else is please email me personally. harmonyfinearts@yahoo.com

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Barb---my infernal keyboard has a mind of its own, and half the time I can't get it to type! (Long story there :) - we have a wireless keyboard and I think I'm going to go back to the old-fashioned wired kind!)

I've only listened to the one set of Shakespeare by Peter Sacchio, but from what I've read on these boards from Jane in NC and others, all of his Shakespeare courses seem to be highly recommended, and I definitely think they're all of high school level and beyond. Very good analysis of the plays, plus he's a good lecturer, as well. I don't think you could go wrong with any of his courses.

HTH!

Michelle,

Awesome...thanks for the review. I am definitely putting this in the shopping cart. I was wavering as to which course to purchase but I think this one is very thorough and will last us a few years since we are not going to be covering all the selections in one year.

Thanks so much,

Barb

Italian Renessance is very good. (I listen to the CDs from the library) So is the Egypt by Bob Brier and also the Middle East. We're also doing Geology. It's pretty good, the subject works well for HS-you could call it a semester if you added in the book easily.

My dd and I are using the "History of the English Language" course, taught by Seth Lerher (I think I'm misspelling his last name), and it's EXCELLENT! We are both language-lovers and are having a wonderful time with it. We got a used VHS set and it's working fine. I have this same course on cassette tape for sale, if anyone is interested.

HTH!

The History of Human Language by John McWhorter.

Wow, just wow. This was so good, I bought copies of this and gave to my sister and mom as gifts. My son will use this as a part of a course on linguistics and history of the English language. Seth Lerer's course on History of the English Language is good (we listened to that one, too), but doesn't compare to Dr. McWhorter in style or presentation. I have heard rumors that Dr. McWhorter is preparing another course for Teaching Co., and I can hardly wait for it.

Karen

Has anyone seen any of the science and math courses? I wish you could watch a preview of the courses before buying!

Physics in your life -- Richard Wolfson -- was a big hit here. We used in for a freshman physics course along with Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt. It references chapters in the college text but this was easily cross referenced with the high school version.