Menu

can I skip spelling? should I do it, even if we're starting late?

I have (rising) 4th grade twins who have never had spelling; one is more "creative" than the other, but neither of them spell horribly, and they do know how to look things up.

We're starting Latin this year.

I have this nagging feeling that I'm shorting them somehow by not giving them a formal spelling program, but - I don't want to do it just for the sake of doing it, either.

Little brother is starting 1st grade - I was thinking to do a methodical spelling program with him, and letting them listen in?

Well, it couldn't hurt to do a good year of something like Spalding (my first choice) or one of its cousins (Logic of English, All About Spelling, Phonics Road, SWR). In fact, you could start all three of your dc at the same time, teaching the phonograms, then do two "classes" with the older and younger.

What about using something like Spelling Power or Natural Speller, and testing them to see where they fall? In our state, the public schools don't teach spelling past grade 7, so when my then-2nd grade son tested higher than that, we tossed his spelling books out the window. ;)

I agree that phonograms are great, but that can definitely be picked up by listening in to a great program with a younger sibling.

Try grabbing a great book like "The ABC's and All Their Tricks" or similar also - that might help the olders feel less like they are doing "baby" work.

Try grabbing a great book like "The ABC's and All Their Tricks" or similar also - that might help the olders feel less like they are doing "baby" work.

That's the nice thing about SWR. Each student gets to start at an appropriate level without going through the baby work stage, yet he/she learns the same tools.

That's the nice thing about SWR. Each student gets to start at an appropriate level without going through the baby work stage, yet he/she learns the same tools.

:iagree: SWR includes instructions on testing, placing and implementing the program with an older student. There is nothing babyish about it. They also just came out with a formatted learning log for older students which makes it easier to use.

I would add spelling for them. My youngest didn't start a spelling program until 4th grade but I'm glad we did. My older two started in 3rd, we stopped for a while, but then went back to it. I can see the difference from continually working through a spelling program vs. not working one.

You could let the olders listen in like you mention or you could start them on a program at their current level. I doubt you would need to go all the way back to 1st grade spelling. My 4th grader started with a 3rd grade book and did fine. He really likes Building Spelling Skills by Evan Moor. There is nothing "cutesy" about it. I use different programs for the older two because EM only goes through 6th grade.

Edited by luvnlattes

What about using something like Spelling Power or Natural Speller, and testing them to see where they fall? In our state, the public schools don't teach spelling past grade 7, so when my then-2nd grade son tested higher than that, we tossed his spelling books out the window. ;)

I agree that phonograms are great, but that can definitely be picked up by listening in to a great program with a younger sibling.

Cx:iagree:

We did aas to get my dd spelling kick started but are going to spelling power. It starts at their level and takes little of your time each day.

Thanks, all! I appreciate the responses. I think I'm going to look into a couple of the programs named here - we did Wordly Wise 3000 last year, but more for vocabulary building purposes rather than spelling. To be honest, I'm not really sure how profitable it was, and I think I'd rather use that same time on spelling rules this year.

This is a generalization, BUT...

Improperly taught spelling is statistically useless, and produces no decrease in misspelled words in everyday writing.

Properly taught spelling is time consuming.

Some children who read a lot, learn to spell with no spelling instruction whatsoever. The more books they read the more words they know how to spell. Replacing independent reading with typical spelling lessons and drills may actually be counterproductive. :w00t:

It is a valid choice of some parent to forego spelling instruction, to create more time for other subjects, subjects that the children struggle with, or that are personally more important to the parent or child.

It's a judgement call that only you can make after reviewing your own unique situation. I do not believe spelling should be taught to ALL students even though I am a phonics/spelling geek.

Personally I'm more worried about CONSISTENTLY formed letters when Handwriting than spelling. If I see an older student with messy, but consistent handwriting--a rare thing--I just leave it alone. But if I see a student with inconsistently formed letters, I worry, because it means they are having to devote brain power to CHOOSING how to write a letter, instead of fully being able to focus on the task at hand.

Too much inconsistent spelling could also be a similar problem.

Consistency is more important than perfection, but the pursuit of perfection is often the quickest route to consistency.