Menu

Just picked up a copy of WTM

We were at the library today for a short presentation on lambs. I figured that if I can learn so much from you all while lurking, that it would be a good read.:tongue_smilie: I'm not currently homeschooling, my kids are in a private Lutheran school.

Today I get a call from the principal :confused:(school has been out for 2 weeks) saying that we need to set up a meeting before the next school year begins so we can get on the same page. ~there is a long back story but I thought it all had been resolved. Apparently things on their end were not better but they never brought it to my attention. He is going to call me back to schedule the meeting, and somehow I don't think it will go well. We clearly are not communicating and I don't know how to fix that. Maybe I'll be homeschooling after all, and it terrifies me.

I loved The Well Trained Mind, and it informed and shaped my homeschooling, but I usually don't recommend it as a starting point.

If you are thinking about homeschooling, start with your child. Start with what your own child is like, and your own goals for him. Start with the curricula that your Lutheran school uses, and whether those fit him or not (you can probably get them on Ebay and that is sometimes an easy way to transition into homeschooling.) Start with where your child's interests, abilities, and challenges are. Know your child thoroughly, and know yourself. THEN start looking a methods.

BTW, welcome! I am Lutheran, and attended Lutheran grade schools for 9 years, and received an excellent education there. But I also homeschooled my daughter, a Lutheran homeschool education, and it was great.

It is a wonderful book, and I am forever grateful to SWB for writing it, but it can initially make you more nervous about starting your homeschool journey. Remember that you can tailor the ideas to your kids and that you don't have to jump in and do everything that SWB talks about on your first day. Take it easy and get used to homeschooling and add a bit at a time while seeing what works for your dc. You can do it!

Don't be terrified. If we can do it so can you. :D

:iagree: :grouphug:

There are 3 books I recommend to anyone thinking about homeschooling. The Well-Trained Mind is the first, since I base most of my schooling from it. The others are Learning All the Time by John Holt and The Unschooling Handbook. It probably sounds crazy to mix unschooling and classical homeschooling, but if you can understand the balance between the two methods, I think you'll find the courage you need.