Menu

Pre-K Math

nova147

DD4 "needs" a math book. So she says. DS7 is very accelerated in math and has started Life of Fred, so DD wants to do Fred too. I bought Apples out of curiosity, but she is no where near ready. She needs foundational stuff. I'm a huge believer in math games for littles. I don't *want* to give her worksheets. But the child is begging me! I've never looked at early math curricula. What can I give her?

Singapore Essential Math K is good. Book A is VERY gentle, preK like. Book B ramps up quite a bit, getting into number bonds, missing addend, etc.

If she needs counting/number writing, I like R&S Counting With Numbers (from the ABC series). It's less than $3. Unabashedly Christian, of course.

I did the R&S book with DS2 at age 3.5, then started EM K shortly after he turned 4 (he was begging to "start K"). At the same time, I printed out and laminated a 100 chart, bought a 100-pack of straws ($1), and grabbed our box-o-change. Each day, we wrote a new number on the chart, talked about the place value (how many tens, how many ones), and added a straw and a penny to what we had. We changed out coins as needed (5 pennies = 1 nickel, etc.).

Singapore Essential Math K is good. Book A is VERY gentle, preK like. Book B ramps up quite a bit, getting into number bonds, missing addend, etc.

If she needs counting/number writing, I like R&S Counting With Numbers (from the ABC series). It's less than $3. Unabashedly Christian, of course.

I did the R&S book with DS2 at age 3.5, then started EM K shortly after he turned 4 (he was begging to "start K"). At the same time, I printed out and laminated a 100 chart, bought a 100-pack of straws ($1), and grabbed our box-o-change. Each day, we wrote a new number on the chart, talked about the place value (how many tens, how many ones), and added a straw and a penny to what we had. We changed out coins as needed (5 pennies = 1 nickel, etc.).

:iagree:

I have loved Singapore Essential Math for PK. It is very gentle, but feels like "real math" for the child since it's a workbook. I do lots of hands-on activities along with it.

Saxon K would work too.

We're using this now. It's extremely gentle (maybe too gentle?) and pretty fun. I have to say that if I had paid full price, I wouldn't be too impressed with it, though. It's mainly activities that you can easily come up with yourself. The manipulatives are fun and useful.

Loved Saxon K. It gave us a little structure to start the day.

Love the books More Than Counting and More Than Counting, Too. They are more discovery stuff using manipulatives (add a die to just about any manipulative and you've got a game...); not just counting cubes and things like that, but acorns and beads and tiny figures...fun stuff that builds real skills. These activities are great for work on a Monti mat.