Menu

Help! Need 9th Grade Science Curriculum

My son is the same grade and has the same issues. I have Apologia Biology edition 1, and I have a blog for it (below). But, I'm not so sure this is going to fit with my son. Ugh... He was just looking through the book and he is definitely not thrilled. I was thinking of going to the library and look at books with the Apologia bk. in my hand. Maybe I could get books to coincide w/ the subjects taught and do the disssections with notebooking.

You have no idea how many times I have gone back and forth with this.

:tongue_smilie:

Good choices for biology:

Campbell /Reece Concepts and connections for a strong student who want a challenging text (I guess yours won't?) or

Campbell Exploring Life as a standard high school level text.

We have tried to use Hoagland Exploring the way life works - some people like it, my kids hated the cartoons and simplifications.

Miller/Levine is frequently mentioned on these boards; I ahve not personally seen the text.

Earth science- I'd choose Tarbuck.

We had the same problem. I bought the Biology 101 DVD's. Although it is strongly Christian, we are not so we overlook the things that we aren't in agreement with.

Anyway, my ds is also not too fond of some sciences. I wanted him to do Biology this year, so he started with watching the DVD's and really enjoyed them. He asked for a science textbook for supplementary reading and I picked up Campbell's Biology. He is doing great with it.

We're heading to Chemistry 101 next.

Edited by jadedone80
add link

Good choices for biology:

Campbell /Reece Concepts and connections for a strong student who want a challenging text (I guess yours won't?) or

Campbell Exploring Life as a standard high school level text.

We have tried to use Hoagland Exploring the way life works - some people like it, my kids hated the cartoons and simplifications.

Miller/Levine is frequently mentioned on these boards; I ahve not personally seen the text.

Earth science- I'd choose Tarbuck.

One advantage for Miller (that I've found) is that Kolbe offers a schedule, labs and assessments. This alone might sway me toward Miller, just to make life a little easier. (I have yet to find similar support readily available for Campbell.)

There are several threads about Earth Science books and Tarbuck in particular. I mention this because there are at least three versions of the book (high school, intro college non-majors & college geology majors) with really similar titles. So it might be worth the OP looking at those threads, which I think had ISBN numbers for different texts.

My ds who is good at science but uninterested did Miller Levine Biology and really liked it. He expected to hate Biology and it was a pleasant surprise for him. We bought it new and used the web resources. I scheduled the year in advance to make sure we got through it all, but it was far easier for me than I expected.

I have been looking at the Miller/Levine book for my 9th grader. He has been using Campbell's Biology along with TTC Biology lectures. The lectures are fine but much of the book is over his head. I had not realized the level when I bought it (highly recommended, used). He hit a wall, hard, when he got to DNA.

I see Amazon has the Miller/Levine textbook, student workbook, and a test prep workbook. According to a review, the student workbook does not contain an answer key.

For those who use this, how did you obtain a teacher's edition and/or answer key? Or do you just do without? What other sources are there for these books?

• 1 month later...
One advantage for Miller (that I've found) is that Kolbe offers a schedule, labs and assessments. This alone might sway me toward Miller, just to make life a little easier. (I have yet to find similar support readily available for Campbell.)

There are several threads about Earth Science books and Tarbuck in particular. I mention this because there are at least three versions of the book (high school, intro college non-majors & college geology majors) with really similar titles. So it might be worth the OP looking at those threads, which I think had ISBN numbers for different texts.

I have all the stuff to go along with campbell exploring life for sale.

angel