Menu

S/O of board game thread - what ed. toys...

Targhee

... do you have, like, and what ed purpose do they serve? (let's limit this to ages 5 and up). Feel free to include manipulatives (my kids consider these toys ;)). If you have a favorite brand or type please share that too. I am a big fan of kids learning through play. Of course they need direct instruction, too, but it's wonderful when they discover and learn on their own.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Legos - spatial awareness, math, creativity

Knitting Noddy - fine motor development, art, counting

Geoboard - (always a winner) geometry

Sand and Water table - (I know this one is traditionally for toddlers, but olders still love them, and you learn a lot of scientific principles while playing with them)

What are some more??? Thanks for Sharing!

rocks and sticks and mud: basic physics:lol:

cuisenaire rods

My 5yo LOVES a little sandbox I made from a Glad ware baking dish.

Personal set of measuring cups/spoons, a balance and a ton of lentils.

Beautiful! I love it!

One question, how do you keep the sand and lentils from going everywhere - my kids love to explore deeply, including dumping things and throwing them. :001_unsure:

Beautiful! I love it!

One question, how do you keep the sand and lentils from going everywhere - my kids love to explore deeply, including dumping things and throwing them. :001_unsure:

I'm just seeing this. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I just vacuum. In fact, one of the reason I use lentils over other beans is b/c they vacuum up so well;) If the weather is nice, I'll take them out to the porch for messy play. Inside, I have a rule that they can be as messy as they want as long as it STAYS ON THE TABLE! When they purposely start just dumping on the floor, I put the activity away. My 5yo can run the vac;)

... do you have, like, and what ed purpose do they serve? (let's limit this to ages 5 and up). Feel free to include manipulatives (my kids consider these toys ;)). If you have a favorite brand or type please share that too. I am a big fan of kids learning through play. Of course they need direct instruction, too, but it's wonderful when they discover and learn on their own.

Sand and Water table - (I know this one is traditionally for toddlers, but olders still love them, and you learn a lot of scientific principles while playing with them)

What are some more??? Thanks for Sharing!

We've been playing Multiplication bingo and all the dc can play. DD6 doesn't multiply yet, but she can use it to identify her numbers.

Have you found any patterns for the Knitting Noddy? Dd has one and she gets tired of doing the same thing over and over (belt, potholder). I'd love to find something creative to do with it.

Here are our favs:

Math

-bucket balance w/weighted numbers - a "1" and a "3" actually weigh the same as the "4"

-tangrams

-pattern blocks

Science

-bug catchers, habitats, bugs of all sorts to watch and try to keep alive

-lots of cardboard, chairs, and things that roll with possibly things to catch the rolling objects ("Watch this, Mom. It stayed on all the way to the end!)

-marble runs

-those toddler stacking/nesting cups with holes in the bottom (smallest cup has 1 hole with each larger cup adding one more hole) and a sink full of water

Have you found any patterns for the Knitting Noddy? Dd has one and she gets tired of doing the same thing over and over (belt, potholder). I'd love to find something creative to do with it.

I found a couple of little pattern books at Ben Franklin, and a $10 book we didn't buy. I haven't looked online, though.

My dd has always loved Lincoln Logs! And anything with horses, any size, any thing, especially when she could build a corral, etc., which gets really imaginative--she will set up different scenarios and eras depending on what she has.

She also has always loved taking fake food and setting up a "store", which helped with math (counting up grocery sales, etc.).

Also, scrabble.

But one of her fave things is paper and pen. Tic tac toe, hangman, etc.

Lincoln Logs

Tinker Toys

wooden pattern blocks

wooden blocks

zoobs

sticks and rocks: Ds, who is almost 5, is a huge nature person and loves to collect nature objects (nuts/nutshells, rocks, fossils, sticks, pine cones, etc.) Dh even helped him make a tomahawk and a small spear out of rocks and sticks they found.

Insect jars/small plastic aquariums: for collecting insects and small animals (toads, skinks)