Menu

What brand/model electric razor does your dh really like?

Dh's is dying a slow, agonizing death and I'll need to get him a new one before he leaves for Germany. He's determined to take razors and shaving cream instead of spend this money now. But, I'm more determined than he is. He can't take razors in a carry-on and I want to have a change of clothes and toiletries stuffed into his computer case (there will be just enough room) so that if his luggage gets lost, he can make his first meeting with decent hygiene.

I haven't shopped for one of these things in many years. His has lasted a decade and we only paid $40.00 for it.

Faith

:bigear:

Thanks, Faith! You've just solved my "what can I get him for Father's Day?" dilemma! My dh's razor isn't dying, but he's had it nearly as long as yours has and has mentioned the shave isn't so close anymore.

Sooo...:bigear:

Glad to be of service! Now if we could just convince the hive to give us review of the razors in their husband's bathroom drawer, we'd be good to go!

Faith

my dh uses shave cream and razors.

both of my adult sons did the electric shaver thing when they started - and both decided they liked a razer with shaving cream much better as they get a better shave.

you can bring a disposable saftey razor/cartridge in your carry-on baggage. scroll down under 'sharp objects' -- Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, and safety razor blades (disposable razors and their cartridges are permitted) this is from the TSA website.

Edited by gardenmom5

I hear great things about the Braun Series 7, and I like my Panasonic. I have also used Norelco and Remington.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DKMY9Q/ref=asc_df_B001DKMY9Q2034275?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001DKMY9Q&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=198811140091987199&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

This is the one I have, it works pretty good, can be used wet or dry, easy to clean.

Wish I could help you but I would not use an electric razor if you paid me.

Bill

Well, I'm having sticker shock now that I look up the brands being recommended!!!!!

Seriously though it is a conundrum. DTW (Detroit International)'s Lufthansa rep said no razors in his carry on. So, I guess if I don't buy him an electric (which is allowed) then he risks, after an 8 hr. 10 min. flight plus customs, plus travel to the hotel (best guess min. 3 hrs.), he's not going to look clean shaven if his luggage gets lost.

I wonder if the Lufthansa rep is misinformed because Gardenmom said she thought razors were allowed. Hmmmmmm.....

Faith

Well, I'm having sticker shock now that I look up the brands being recommended!!!!!

Seriously though it is a conundrum. DTW (Detroit International)'s Lufthansa rep said no razors in his carry on. So, I guess if I don't buy him an electric (which is allowed) then he risks, after an 8 hr. 10 min. flight plus customs, plus travel to the hotel (best guess min. 3 hrs.), he's not going to look clean shaven if his luggage gets lost.

I wonder if the Lufthansa rep is misinformed because Gardenmom said she thought razors were allowed. Hmmmmmm.....

Faith

You think (if all else fails) he can't purchase a razor in Germany?

Personally, I have returned to wet-shaving with old-fashioned double-edge safety-razors. It is very economical compared to multi-bladed cartridge razors, gives very close shaves, and has throw-back sense of maintaining manly-virtues that appeals to me.

I can't image the hotel doesn't have a stock of disposable razors and cans of shaving goo for its patrons in need.

Bill

You think (if all else fails) he can't purchase a razor in Germany?

Bill

It's the time frame, Bill. You should see his itinerary. It's nuts! His employer is not giving him any breathing time between arrival and presenting at some pretty important meetings. I am well aware that he could purchase a razor in Germany :glare:, I'm not dumb. But, he his company is not scheduling him any leeway for that.

Faith

Faithe,

If he is used to electric, don't let him use regular razors. He will show up to meetings with many cuts..... My dh didn't like electric, and used regular razors for years. But he couldn't shave everyday, or he got many cuts (his face is bumpy and shaving shaves off the bumps). I talked him into switching, it takes about a week to get used to electric, but he hasn't turned back. His razor is the cheapest Norelco that Target has. New blades cost as much as the razor, so when it gets dull, then we will just get a new one. And...get one that can be used in Europe!

It's the time frame, Bill. You should see his itinerary. It's nuts! His employer is not giving him any breathing time between arrival and presenting at some pretty important meetings. I am well aware that he could purchase a razor in Germany :glare:, I'm not dumb. But, he his company is not scheduling him any leeway for that.

Faith

Email the hotel with your concerns. A concierge ought to be able to make sure his needs for grooming equipment are met in advance. It is Germany :D

Bill (who knows you are not dumb)

Email the hotel with your concerns. A concierge ought to be able to make sure his needs for grooming equipment are met in advance. It is Germany :D

Bill (who knows you are not dumb)

See! Know that's a suggestion I can get behind! :D I did not think of the concierge. We'll know this afternoon which hotel he'll be put up at since he's been in an argument with the stingy boss who wants to put him up at the European version of "Hotel Six" and dh feeling that something slightly better is appropriate!

Seriously, this is what he was told, "The only part of Germany you will see is what you can observe from the windows of the airport, taxi, shuttle, hotel, or plant." No joke! That is exactly what he was told. :glare: They've schedule 8 hrs. of sleep per night...10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., conferences begin at 7:00 a.m. and end right before heading back to the hotel for the scheduled sleep.

Sigh, he's going to be gone for our anniversary and his birthday.

Faith

Dh and I were talking about razors this morning! He tried, yet again, to save money by buying fancy-looking disposables. They last about 2 days. :glare: We were amazed at the price of nice replacement blades...Walmart even has them all housed into lock boxes because the theft of them is so high! I have always been terrified that electric razors would suck his skin into the machine and not let go. :tongue_smilie: Bill, I think I'm going to get him one of those old fashioned razors and see if he likes it.

Dh and I were talking about razors this morning! He tried, yet again, to save money by buying fancy-looking disposables. They last about 2 days. :glare: We were amazed at the price of nice replacement blades...Walmart even has them all housed into lock boxes because the theft of them is so high! I have always been terrified that electric razors would suck his skin into the machine and not let go. :tongue_smilie: Bill, I think I'm going to get him one of those old fashioned razors and see if he likes it.

I love shaving with safety-razor, I really do. Modern cartridges are fine, but the costs of replacement cartridges are obscene, and there is no sense of "ritual" in the process. Shaving with a modern multi-blade razor becomes a mindless chore.

The safety-razor, on the other hand, focus the mind and (for those who dig it) makes it a more zen-like thing.

You can always ask around and see if older family members have any vintage Gillette razors they no longer use.

There is a very popular new razor by Edwin Jagger called a 89L that are really nice, and can be had for about $35. Mine are all old vintage Gillettes (and others), some of which are older than I am (and I'm no spring-chicken :D) but the Edwin Jagger is "gift-worthy."

And high-quality double-edge blades are very inexpensive.

If you seriously are considering this let me know. The one thing that is a variable is the sort of blade guys (and gals) prefer. It is worth ordering blade sample packs online from one of the specialty shave shops and seeing what you like best. It is cheaper (and more fun) to compare the best blades from around the world rather than buy genetics at a drug store or Walmart.

When one finds a blade they really like you order 100. 100 blades will last men from 1 to 2 years (depending). One can get 100 very high quality blades for about $20. There are cheaper blades, and some (like Feathers) that cost a little more. But $10-20 a year is a pittance compared to shaving with a Fusion.

And it is cool.

Bill

Too bad he couldn't take some of these razors with him:

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

The Merkur razor mentioned in the article is made in Germany ;)

I think the Edwin Jagger 89L is a nicer razor than the Merkur, but the Merkur is good too. However the "blades" recommended in the article are not so good, especially the Merkur "blades" (not the razor itself) which are relatively expensive and outclassed by many other blades.

I do like the idea (mentioned in the article) of a cheap "boar bristle" brush. One can spend big bucks on fancy English badger brushes (like Simpson) and they are nice, but a dirt-cheap Van der Hagen from Walgreens or an Omega on-line is more than good enough.

Bill

Oh my gosh, Bill! Thanks for any advice/info you would offer. I appreciate it, and know that dh will, too. I like the *zen thing*...sorta like my French press. Thanks a bunch! And my budget thanks you, too. :D

Your budget will thank me...unless he becomes one of the obsessive-compulsives trying to hunt down vintage "Fat Boys" on eBay ;) :D

There is a website (several actually) for people like these, it is the Well-Trained Mind for shavers, called "Badger and Blade" (why not "Well-Shaved Face"? :D), don't tell him such a place exists :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to go poke around...I'll be back :D

Bill

Oh my gosh, Bill! Thanks for any advice/info you would offer. I appreciate it, and know that dh will, too. I like the *zen thing*...sorta like my French press. Thanks a bunch! And my budget thanks you, too. :D

Here are the names of a few reputable places that stock razors and blades: West Coast Shaving, Razor Blades and More, The Shoebox, the Italian Barber (Canada).

Most of these have blade sample packs, or one can select their own (which is not the conventional wisdom, but is what I'd recommend, as sample packs contain a lot of (for me) "losers." Anyway, cheap enough to experiment.

Three blades I'd call "essential" to try:

Feathers. An extremely sharp Japanese blade. One has to be especially mindful when using these. Commonly people will work up to these.

Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge aka "Yellows". A premium quality blade. Easily sourced, not a wickedly-sharp as Feathers, but smooth, comfortable, and sharp.

Red Personnas. These are made in Israel. They are a milder blade than either of the others. Still good quality and a good value.

These three would give one a sample of three very good blades in 3 styles: ultra-sharp, premium, and mild (but still high quality).

On top of these you could just indulge your whims and get some random 5 or 10 packs, or get a sampler that includes some of the above. The Feathers and Red Personnas are in most sample packs, the Gillette "Yellows" are not (but don't miss these).

Any Gillette is worth trying, Astras are OK, I hate Derbys (but they have their fans, I've never tried Sharks but they have a good rep.

Anyway, those are a few ideas. At $2.50 or so for a pack of 5 it is worth trying out a variety of different blades.

Bill

Thank you so much, Bill! I'm taking detailed notes. I believe that I have Father's Day all figured out. :D [/b]

You will still need some shave-cream or soap. This is where some guys (not me) start to become like women (no offense to women :D). Some of the high-end choices are like fancy "ladies cosmetics" and some are dime-store cheap.

I have thoughts.

And now we return you to the OP's for electric razor recommendations!

Are you kidding, no right-thinking woman is still thinking about electric razors with father's day around the corner. Why chose a technology that is expensive, gives lousy shaves, and sucks every joy out of the act of shaving. It makes the act devoid of art, or pleasure.

Using a real blade (be it double-edge, single-edge, or straight) is a purposeful act. It engages the mind in the experience. And studies show, that because it links men with a primal past, it spikes their production of testosterone (OK, I make that part up :D).

1. Costs less (if no one gets "acquisition" fever).

2. Way better shave.

3. Way better for the environment. Almost no plastic waste.

4. More Butch.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

...Are you kidding, no right-thinking woman is still thinking about electric razors with father's day around the corner. Why chose a technology that is expensive, gives lousy shaves, and sucks every joy out of the act of shaving. It makes the act devoid of art, or pleasure.

Using a real blade (be it double-edge, single-edge, or straight) is a purposeful act. It engages the mind in the experience. And studies show, that because it links men with a primal past it spikes their production of testosterone (OK, I make that part up :D).

2. Way better shave.

4. More Butch.

Bill

:lol: Bill, you really need to write a book on this...:D

You will still need some shave-cream or soap. This is where some guys (not me) start to become like women (no offense to women :D). Some of the high-end choices are like fancy "ladies cosmetics" and some are dime-store cheap.

I have thoughts.

Are you kidding, no right-thinking woman is still thinking about electric razors with father's day around the corner. Why chose a technology that is expensive, gives lousy shaves, and sucks every joy out of the act of shaving. It makes the act devoid of art, or pleasure.

Using a real blade (be it double-edge, single-edge, or straight) is a purposeful act. It engages the mind in the experience. And studies show, that because it links men with a primal past, it spikes their production of testosterone (OK, I make that part up :D).

2. Way better shave.

4. More Butch.

Bill

Hey now, I prefer an electric razor for day-to-day use. I get a decent shave, it's quick, I don't worry about cutting myself. I shave early in the morning, and my mind certainly is in no state to be engaged in the experience. And I certainly don't need any more testosterone production!

:D

Hey now, I prefer an electric razor for day-to-day use. I get a decent shave, it's quick, I don't worry about cutting myself. I shave early in the morning, and my mind certainly is in no state to be engaged in the experience. And I certainly don't need any more testosterone production!

:D

5) Increases odds of producing male heirs :D

Bill

5) Increases odds of producing male heirs :D

Bill

May the gods be merciful!!!!!!!!

I have three such primal creatures in addition to dh now. I don't need more! As it is, two of three seem to purporting some peach fuzz in their upper lip regions, noticeable too. Like all great cavemen in the making, they have to be ridden like rented mules to remember deodorant and hair combing. The last thing I need is a whole tribe of neanderthals running around with sharp instruments! :D As it is, the head caveman allows them too much free reign with flammable materials, I cannot possibly endure cutting implements as well...exacto blades alone have nearly been the death of me. :lol:

Faith - mother of three cave larvae and den mother to thirteen other cave larvae who show up to our monthly science meetings in order to play with flammable substances or make metal castings in dh's homemade forge. Sadly, only four beautiful, lovely cave flowers also attend the club meetings. Sniff, sniff....I am outnumbered!;)

Guest nelsonE

I live a fast pace life and I don't need to spend a ton of time in the bathroom putting on shaving cream and such but, I am also a manger in Corporate America so I need a clean shave.

My son which is a freshman in college sent me this site http://sensitiveskinshaver.com/. Since he has such far skin and he knows I get razor burn quite easy, he thought this site was great. BTW he bought the Vortex.

I hope this helps.

Happy shopping

I have three such primal creatures in addition to dh now. I don't need more! As it is, two of three seem to purporting some peach fuzz in their upper lip regions, noticeable too. Like all great cavemen in the making, they have to be ridden like rented mules to remember deodorant and hair combing. The last thing I need is a whole tribe of neanderthals running around with sharp instruments! :D As it is, the head caveman allows them too much free reign with flammable materials, I cannot possibly endure cutting implements as well...exacto blades alone have nearly been the death of me. :lol:

Faith - mother of three cave larvae and den mother to thirteen other cave larvae who show up to our monthly science meetings in order to play with flammable substances or make metal castings in dh's homemade forge. Sadly, only four beautiful, lovely cave flowers also attend the club meetings. Sniff, sniff....I am outnumbered!;)

:lol:

You are truly blessed :D

Bill