Menu

Working at Home and Homeschooling?

I am just curious if anyone does "extra" stuff on the side to help bring money into the home and homeschools. I have done stuff here and there and recently restarted up an embroidery business from home. But it soon took off (which is a good thing) except I don't ever seem to have enough hours in the day to both homeschool all 4 kids successfully and keep all my orders caught up. So for now I have my business on hold till I can figure out a better solution. I like feeling that I am contributing by at least making enough money to pay for all the "extras". My husband would rather me just stick to homeschooling and the house and not worry about the money part, I just have a hard time feeling like I'm not contributing when I see him working so hard.

Sorry I know this is long I just wanted to see what other homeschool families do and if any of the wives do extra stuff for money on the side (if so how do you manage your time?)

I work 20 hours per week from home for a publishing company. I typeset books and design promotional flyers. It is not on the side as I'm a single mom and this is my income (we live on very little). I predominately work after my daughter goes to bed at nine. I try to work until 1:00am, but it is not always possible. Sometimes I get a later start and have to work later. I try to have several activities ready for my daughter to get started on if she wakes up before 8:00. If she wakes up and I still need a bit of sleep she works at the desk in my room and I snooze a bit between helping her get started. It works for us.

I work at home, scheduled hours (usually in the morning) and can't be disturbed when I'm working. It's not extra income, though, but half or more of our family's income, so we have to work together to make it work. My husband does the morning homeschooling when I'm working.

In your situation, if your husband says you don't need to work, then I probably wouldn't work. Or would only take the number of jobs that I could fit in easily (not a full slate).

I watch a 2 yr old 5 days a week and teach preschool to a 4 yr old twice a week in addition to schooling my own. If I didn't have to work I wouldn't. My kids deserve teh full me devoted to their studies unfortunately as a single parent I have no choice but to work and unfortunately that means everyone gets the short end of the stick. My kids, my babysitting kids and definitely me.

This just about the same schedule I have as well.

:iagree: Since I absolutely have to work and homeschool, I don't understand someone willingly putting themselves in that difficult position if they don't have to :confused:

I just feel bad seeing him work so hard and feel like I should help. Was just wondering how everyone else juggled it.

I just feel bad seeing him work so hard and feel like I should help. Was just wondering how everyone else juggled it.

You are helping, you're raising four children. That's a full time job without the homeschooling part.

I've always considered homeschooling my primary job, even if it doesn't pay and I only have one. My priority has to be on the schooling.

Recently I started working online, which I can do when I want. The pay is minimal right now because of school. In the summer I plan to devote more time, at least 20 hours a week, but my son is older and pretty self-sufficient most of the day.

My concern is in the getting stretched too thin. It can be subtle, but once you reach that stage everything else suffers.

If this is something you want to do,you'll find a way to make the hours work. There is nothing wrong with trying to work ahead and have some extras, but I would guard and prioritize your already scheduled time.

But again it's hard to do something part time with a flexible schedule and make a profit while trying to maintain that flexibility. I've found it easier to find the time when dh is supportive. Perhaps your dh is willing to take on some evening duties to help you out, and I would keep an eye out for burnout.

You don't say how old your dc are, but every age seems to have a season. AT this stage with one teen child, I'm working on hobbies, habits, and opportunities that can create some income now and in future years.

I do. I have three part-time jobs, most of which I can do on my own time. My organist job is Sunday mornings and Thursday evenings, when we wouldn't be doing school anyway. The rest I fit in at night or occasional breaks during the day.

My income is not necessary, but I enjoy what I do, I don't feel it takes away TOO much from my family, and so I continue. My house is not spotless, my to-do list endless, but somehow it all comes together.

I think you need to decide if you WANT to do this. If you don't, and your husband says he doesn't think you need to, than I would say don't. If you want to, then give it a try.

We own two businesses. DH has a window cleaning business and we own and dance and arts academy. I do all the tax and payroll work plus teach 13-18 hours a week. I am cutting back teaching hours next year with the new baby. It is a lot to juggle.

We start school at 9 or 10 and we finish by lunchtime. DD will start K in a year and school will take more time. I am trying to put some of her instruction in the summer this year and next. We will learn to read tgis summer and get basic math this summer amd next. That will make k easier and give me until DS is 4th and she is 1st before I have a full load with both of them.

After lunch I clean a bit and get ready for work. DH gets home before I leave most days. He does.some pick up and keeps the yard and garden. We split dinner duties and whoever has thebshorter workday puts the kids in bed.

Baths for the kids happen at random times.

Family time is in the evenings and bedtime is 11pm.

Dh does not work everyday. He is on his second week off right now. I have two weeks at Christmas, a month in the summer plus all the regular school breaks. We are able to balance our schedules because we really have a lot of flexibility.

I've had this conversation with my husband lately, I think I understand where you are. I teach piano lessons to just three young kids of my friends'. I enjoy it but it does sort of make things a bit hard to manage. My husband wants me to stop or wait until my kids are older (mine are in first grade.) But, like you, there's something that's nice about being able to contribute, even the slightest amount of money. I feel like all I do is spend, spend, spend.

Eventually my husband told me (through a marriage counselor, haha, my husband's not this eloquent) that for me to work to "help him bring in the money" made him feel like I only valued his ability to bring in money. And that me wanting to add to our income made him feel like I was telling him he wasn't able to support our family. Essentially, he felt emasculated. I know this is not the most modern viewpoint, and I actually made quite a bit more than him when we met, so I'm not sure everyone will understand his point of view. But it's his, and he gets to feel that way, so I try to honor it. Teaching piano lessons isn't a passion of mine, though, so I found it easy to put it on hold.

So now I take my piano lesson checks, cash them, and buy incidentals with them. And sneak little presents to him that I buy with the money. :D And I'm turning down any more students for a few years.

I work from home too. I write web content.

I have had a hard time juggling everything. But I do want to contribute some too.

i have had to limit my work hours to after lunch and make school the priority in the morning. It seems that I do better and I am more focused if I have dedicated work hours, rather than just trying to fit it in whenever I can. Otherwise either I get no writing done or I am a lousy homeschooling mom.

Don't forget that YOU are in charge of the amount of business that you do. Only do the amount that you can easily fit in. In other words, don't let the tail wag the dog.