Menu

Setting up an activity shelf for 4 year old

My daughter will be 4 this fall, and since I already have programs/curriculum/etc lined up for her older brother, I want to create a special space for her. I'm thinking about a small bookshelf or rack with activity bins. Any ideas for what to put in these bins? Here are some I have so far, but I'm drawing a blank as to what else I can add--

• Puzzles
  • lacing/bead stringing
  • paper cutting
  • coloring

Any other great ideas for an activity space for a four year old?

I did this last year - used little plastic shoebox containers. I had a ton of them out - this year she will be 4 in the fall, and I'm going to update. I plan to have a bunch in the closet and pull out 3-4 each day. I'd love to hear some ideas!

Check out the blog counting coconuts. I have found tons of good ideas for my pre-k and k planning there.

:iagree:

You're sure to find a ton these types of activities on Montessori inspired blogs.

I made my dd a few egg carton games. Some were color matching, color (beads or pompoms) sorting, and number matching (with the numbers written on plastic eggs). I just put colored circles in the bottom of each compartment or wrote the numbers in the bottom. She really enjoyed it, and if it got broken, I just made another. One trick I found out: put the open egg carton on a cookie sheet, then put magnets in two corners of the lid and two of the compartments. That saved us from having beads everywhere. She also loved loading up the plastic eggs with the pompoms.

She has also enjoyed dry-erase books and the crayola dry erase board that I can load different pages into.

A cheap metal cookie sheet and alphabet/number magnets is a great addition to a pre-school activity center. I also had a variety of shape magnets, animals, colors, etc.

Busy Bugs by Discovery Toys were a big hit for my dd, as well.

Paper, crayons, glue sticks, pipe cleaners, tape, scissors, etc.

I also picked up a bag of various shape and color counters from an education store. She used these for all kinds of activities.

A cd player and headphones with books/music to listen to. We had Hooked on Phonics that dd loved to play with.

We had a small bookcase for dd when she was in pre-k. I swapped out stuff weekly:

-Sequence/opposite/letter picture puzzles

-board puzzles (regular and the ones with locks or zippers/buttons/other closures)

-Flash cards on large ring (numbers, colors, shapes, plus opposites, letters, and more...each type had it's own ring)

-magnets

-folder with coloring pages I printed (usually having to do with what we were covering that week/month)

-math manipulatives

-play animals (different sets put out each week)

-Nature box with magnifying viewing box (this was a permanent fixture but the contents changed)

I also kept some things on permanently:

Colors/markers/pencil colors

Dot paint sticks

Playdough with tray and toys

lacing beads and large buttons(the normal block kind and the plastic small beads she strung on pipe cleaners to make bracelets)

A seasonal page (to show season and weather and what to wear, had velcro backs on each piece)

drawing paper

construction paper

scissors (regular and the ones that make fancy cuts)

glue stick

Sand paper letters

That's all I can think of off hand, iff I think of more I'll add it.

We also like Orb Factory Sticky Mosaics and paint/color by number things.

Glue and sequins

Cards and envelopes (I either fold card stock myself but also save old invitations)

Air Dry Clay (can be a bit messy, they can stick beads and sequins in and then they dry and can be painted)

A "Construction Box" with all our old small shipping boxes, egg cartons, paper towel tubes, etc. and a roll of masking tape or duct tape to attach things together.