Menu

Can someone explain to me how a Wii works, in a nutshell?

Thinking of getting a Wii for my husband's rehab. I really know nothing about it. Does it connect to a TV? Does the TV have to be a flat-screen HD, or can it be an old-fashioned type? Does it need to have internet access?

Thanks ahead of time!

As far as I know it hooks up just like any other gaming console. You do not need a flat screen, ours is hooked up to an old tv. You do not need internet access, though there are additional things you can do with the internet connected. All you really need it the tv and a place to hang the sensor bar. For physical activities games we like Wii Resort and Wii Fit 2 (you need to buy the balance board for the second one.)

It does need to connect to a TV, but it can be an old one. You only need internet access if you want to use it for online games or Netflix. You need batteries for the Wii motes too. If you have a Gamestop store near you, the guys working there are great at answering questions and explaining things to video game newbies.

For the physical games, you need it to be in a room with enough space to move some. Our living room with the TV is small, so when the kids do the physical games, we often put down a temporary tape line to stop them from smacking the TV or the lamp or anything. Other than that, what they all said.

Oh, and if you have wifi, then you can just sign into your network. No cables needed.

It will hook up to an old-school tv. We only have the one old tv and the Wii works fine on that. You don't need to have wifi or internet unless you want it.

The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you have enough open floor space in front of it for people to stand and move around. There are many Wii games that are great for energetic exercise. My favourite thing is DanceDance Revolution II. It comes with a dance pad that is about 3'x3'. It is awesome!!

Thanks for all the advice! It was very helpful! I'm glad to hear our old TV will work. It sounds like we could definitely use more floor space though... May have to move it to a different location, which I think we could do.