Menu

In search of a history report-ish form

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but something for middle school and up.

We approach our history studies a little differently and I'd like to find a blank form he could use. Something to list the details of what he's reading, like a graphic organizer, but a tad more organized than something like a spider diagram.

Because of the way he best learns we don't make timelines (I bought one), and he abhors outlining.

I've looked in my usual places, like donnayoung, but can't find what I need.

Any ideas?

Hmmm...this may be way off and not at all what you are looking for, but what about this?

http://www.readingquest.org/pdf/hist_frame.pdf

Those are exactly what I was wanted, thank you.

Just got an email that the History Scribe and History Scholar are half off through this weekend.

I'd looked at these before, but need to check out the Scholar level, thank you.

I did just buy this set, all 36 history books, for .50. http://www.currclick.com/product/2118/History-Scribe---Scholar---Total-History---36-Books?it=1

Not a bad deal. :D And finally something useful to buy with the 1+ dollar in my paypal account.

Nice. I bought a huge set of the history scribe books (my kids are younger than yours) but I haven't used them yet. You can always use the generic forms I linked above to fill in the events that aren't covered in history scholar.

Nice. I bought a huge set of the history scribe books (my kids are younger than yours) but I haven't used them yet. You can always use the generic forms I linked above to fill in the events that aren't covered in history scholar.

And I can tell dh I bought 36 books for .50, he'll be thrilled. :tongue_smilie:

I am curious about how you do history. I am trying to rethink how to do history next year for DS, grade 8. He will be taking an intense outside lit/writing course and to me that means stripping out most of the heavy duty writing for history at home.

So... if you're not doing history narrations and lit analysis at home, what do you do for history? Well, I'd really just like him to read through The Human Odyssey and do analysis. I could see these graphic organizers working very well for that.

Anyway, could you tell more about how you do history with your son?

Thanks!

I am curious about how you do history. I am trying to rethink how to do history next year for DS, grade 8. He will be taking an intense outside lit/writing course and to me that means stripping out most of the heavy duty writing for history at home.

So... if you're not doing history narrations and lit analysis at home, what do you do for history? Well, I'd really just like him to read through The Human Odyssey and do analysis. I could see these graphic organizers working very well for that.

Anyway, could you tell more about how you do history with your son?

Thanks!

This year he did a lot of reading and discussion. He wrote a few short essays and we were supposed to do a simple timeline (never got to it). We didn't keep grades this year, although I had planned to. I did grade the essays. We did read and discuss some primary source material.

Honesty, I adore history, my son does not. We like to explore the more cultural side of history and we do not center our studies around history.

We used three of these books this year and a few chapters from Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. The what life was like books were very detailed and have a lot of pictures, but they are not textbooks, so no built-in questions or tests.

Next year we're doing more Spielvogel and Great books. We will do more than we did this year, hence the need for a form. I totally sure how we'll implement yet

We focused on literature and writing this year, so history was more like history-lite.

HTH

This year he did a lot of reading and discussion. He wrote a few short essays and we were supposed to do a simple timeline (never got to it). We didn't keep grades this year, although I had planned to. I did grade the essays. We did read and discuss some primary source material.

Honesty, I adore history, my son does not. We like to explore the more cultural side of history and we do not center our studies around history.

We used three of these books this year and a few chapters from Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. The what life was like books were very detailed and have a lot of pictures, but they are not textbooks, so no built-in questions or tests.

Next year we're doing more Spielvogel and Great books. We will do more than we did this year, hence the need for a form. I totally sure how we'll implement yet

We focused on literature and writing this year, so history was more like history-lite.

HTH

Oh, these look fascinating. I added them to my wish list.

HTH

Paula, you might want to check with Jane in NC about what she did with her son for history. If I remember right, there was a fairly good thread about what to do with all those teen boys who weren't really keen on TWTM notebook pages.

I have one of those big, fancy timeline notebooks that remains all set up to go and empty. Swimmer Dude frequently argued that the notebook pages, the timeline, and the outlines contained redundant information. We settled on an idea we borrowed from Nicole M.

We make note cards with an image from Home School in the Woods timeline series or something we find on the Internet for each item we feel is noteworthy. The name and date go under it. On the back side, the student writes key points. The cards I print out have colored borders - red, orange, yellow, green, and blue to correspond to the geographic regions as outlined in my Usborne Timeline of World History. You can also purchase 4 X 6 note cards where the top margin is in the above colors and the lines match. Those are handy when you don't want to mess with making them on the computer.

So it is recording bare bones history and you can stop there. Or you can play with them as manipulatives and your son can draw his own conclusions. By color-coding the cards, you can see what is happening in various geographic regions in a particular time period or trace a region's history down through the ages. You can make it more complex and add an in inner border or box of a color that is coded to the main topics of :War & Conflict, Science & Inventions, Arts & Architecture, and Religion. You get the idea. This allows for pulling out the cards every so often and creating your analysis as you see fit. Many people study American history separate from world history. The cards allow someone who does this to show their student that the American Revolution was not unique to its time and was not happening in a vacuum.

It is a lot less writing than worksheets and less tedious.

Just a thought, for what it is worth.:tongue_smilie:

Paula, you might want to check with Jane in NC about what she did with her son for history. If I remember right, there was a fairly good thread about what to do with all those teen boys who weren't really keen on TWTM notebook pages.

I have one of those big, fancy timeline notebooks that remains all set up to go and empty. Swimmer Dude frequently argued that the notebook pages, the timeline, and the outlines contained redundant information. We settled on an idea we borrowed from Nicole M.

We make note cards with an image from Home School in the Woods timeline series or something we find on the Internet for each item we feel is noteworthy. The name and date go under it. On the back side, the student writes key points. The cards I print out have colored borders - red, orange, yellow, green, and blue to correspond to the geographic regions as outlined in my Usborne Timeline of World History. You can also purchase 4 X 6 note cards where the top margin is in the above colors and the lines match. Those are handy when you don't want to mess with making them on the computer.

So it is recording bare bones history and you can stop there. Or you can play with them as manipulatives and your son can draw his own conclusions. By color-coding the cards, you can see what is happening in various geographic regions in a particular time period or trace a region's history down through the ages. You can make it more complex and add an in inner border or box of a color that is coded to the main topics of :War & Conflict, Science & Inventions, Arts & Architecture, and Religion. You get the idea. This allows for pulling out the cards every so often and creating your analysis as you see fit. Many people study American history separate from world history. The cards allow someone who does this to show their student that the American Revolution was not unique to its time and was not happening in a vacuum.

It is a lot less writing than worksheets and less tedious.

Just a thought, for what it is worth.:tongue_smilie:

And your thoughts are always worth it. :D

What do you do with the index cards though? That's my issue. If something goes in a box the chance we'll get back to it goes down 50%. We have a few index card things we started, but they are individual cards lying around now. In fact this morning, I was straightening up a few random ones that were on his bookshelf.

We have Scrivener, which has great virtual index cards, but again, out of sight, out of mind. Lee Binz linked this today on Pinterest, it might be helpful, maybe not post-its, but index cards on a board in the classroom. http://jenhewett.blogspot.com/2011/02/msel-jen-hewett-guide-to-managing-it.html

I have a lot of pondering to do this weekend.Thank you, I mean it, I really do. Not like in a sarcastic rolling my eyes way, but it a sincere, you get me and understand my fears and shortcomings and advise me anyway thank you. :D

I did just buy this set, all 36 history books, for .50. http://www.currclick.com/product/2118/History-Scribe---Scholar---Total-History---36-Books?it=1

Not a bad deal. :D And finally something useful to buy with the 1+ dollar in my paypal account.

What exactly is this?? I almost bought it because its 50 cents and don't even know what it is :lol: :lol: :lol:

And your thoughts are always worth it. :D

What do you do with the index cards though? That's my issue. If something goes in a box the chance we'll get back to it goes down 50%. We have a few index card things we started, but they are individual cards lying around now. In fact this morning, I was straightening up a few random ones that were on his bookshelf.

We have Scrivener, which has great virtual index cards, but again, out of sight, out of mind. Lee Binz linked this today on Pinterest, it might be helpful, maybe not post-its, but index cards on a board in the classroom. http://jenhewett.blogspot.com/2011/02/msel-jen-hewett-guide-to-managing-it.html

I have a lot of pondering to do this weekend.Thank you, I mean it, I really do. Not like in a sarcastic rolling my eyes way, but it a sincere, you get me and understand my fears and shortcomings and advise me anyway thank you. :D

I do use the larger boxes, but you could do it however it makes sense to you. An index file box per year of Great Book studies or 5 boxes - one per region. I store them there, but when we want to use them, we pull out the time frame or area we want to look at and lay them across the hardwood floors. We group and regroup depending on what observations we make. I don't expect Swimmer to memorize a lot of dates, but I encourage him to group the cards thematically over the years so he can retell history in roughly the right order. Does that make sense?

Also, while it is not part of the Great Books course of study, the student can pull out his cards with the writers of a certain period and then look at what was happening historically and make his own connections. So you may not be talking about the Romantic period in British literature, but if your student pulls out the history cards and sees that while Britain was undergoing an Industrial Revolution with an explosion in the growth of cities, pollution, and poverty, but the writers are creating works discussing beauty and nature, your young man ought to be able to link some cause and effect.

What exactly is this?? I almost bought it because its 50 cents and don't even know what it is :lol: :lol: :lol:

These are like notebooking pages with room for art. I've looked at the elementary levels and it wasn't really what we needed. The high school level has a few more features. But yes for .50 you really can't go wrong. Many of the same products are selling for more than that individually.

I do use the larger boxes, but you could do it however it makes sense to you. An index file box per year of Great Book studies or 5 boxes - one per region. I store them there, but when we want to use them, we pull out the time frame or area we want to look at and lay them across the hardwood floors. We group and regroup depending on what observations we make. I don't expect Swimmer to memorize a lot of dates, but I encourage him to group the cards thematically over the years so he can retell history in roughly the right order. Does that make sense?

Also, while it is not part of the Great Books course of study, the student can pull out his cards with the writers of a certain period and then look at what was happening historically and make his own connections. So you may not be talking about the Romantic period in British literature, but if your student pulls out the history cards and sees that while Britain was undergoing an Industrial Revolution with an explosion in the growth of cities, pollution, and poverty, but the writers are creating works discussing beauty and nature, your young man ought to be able to link some cause and effect.

I like this way of doing. We're not big into dates here.

So here is another thought for what it is worth. They are worksheets of a different kind. I used them for dd last year when she was home as a senior and we did a crash course on World History and I have used some of them with Swimmer Dude.

The Center for Learning puts out a series of spiral bound history lessons for high school. You can download samples of many of their programs. While I love the self-exploration aspect of TWTM history, sometimes that exploration doesn't get us anywhere here. "Caution: Slow home schoolers ahead.":tongue_smilie:

For example, we could appreciate the significance of The Code of Hammarabi, but we might not think to compare it to other ancient legal codes like from the Old Testament or Law of the Twelve Tables from Roman law. (I know only two of the three examples fit into the Great Books material, but you get the idea.)

Read, discuss, a few of these assignments when appropriate, and make connections to the modern world when you can. He will still have more history than his peers and hopefully, he won't end up disliking history.

So here is another thought for what it is worth. They are worksheets of a different kind. I used them for dd last year when she was home as a senior and we did a crash course on World History and I have used some of them with Swimmer Dude.

The Center for Learning puts out a series of spiral bound history lessons for high school. You can download samples of many of their programs. While I love the self-exploration aspect of TWTM history, sometimes that exploration doesn't get us anywhere here. "Caution: Slow home schoolers ahead.":tongue_smilie:

For example, we could appreciate the significance of The Code of Hammarabi, but we might not think to compare it to other ancient legal codes like from the Old Testament or Law of the Twelve Tables from Roman law. (I know only two of the three examples fit into the Great Books material, but you get the idea.)

Read, discuss, a few of these assignments when appropriate, and make connections to the modern world when you can. He will still have more history than his peers and hopefully, he won't end up disliking history.

Have you considered starting a consulting business? :D Yes, self exploration leads to distractions. Honestly, that is what I'm trying to eliminate, the distraction time. I don't mind tangents, it's distractions that throw me.

Dumb question alert, lol...can you use these with any history books? These might be fun for some extra work this summer. :)

Hmmm...this may be way off and not at all what you are looking for, but what about this?

http://www.readingquest.org/pdf/hist_frame.pdf

Thank you so much for this. http://www.readingquest.org/strat/storymaps.html

I had something like this about 10 years ago and have driven myself crazy trying to find it again. My old version was just literature compared to a science report, but this history/lit/science is even better. HAPPY DAY today :D

Here you can download a sample of History Scholar

I couldn't find samples of History Scribe, but if you go to this page and watch the slide show at the top of the page, you will see pictures of completed History Scribe.

Thank you, that is really helpful! The History Scholar pages look like they will definately be good for some extra research this summer.

Thank you so much for this. http://www.readingquest.org/strat/storymaps.html

I had something like this about 10 years ago and have driven myself crazy trying to find it again. My old version was just literature compared to a science report, but this history/lit/science is even better. HAPPY DAY today :D

I'm so glad my googling skills could make someone happy. :)

Oh Mo2, you have no idea how happy you've made me! Those charts are just what my formula-loving scientist's brain needs for social studies.

Thank you

D

Enjoy. I don't think my kiddo is ready for them yet, but I can see us using them in the future, so I saved the link.