Menu

another SM question. IP or CWP?

justLisa

My budget is basically only limited to whatever I need. However, too many books just make me batty and I feel like I have to use everything so I'm trying to narrow down what I want to use.

Right now we are talking the TB out, but the workbook has only few problems. Sometimes it's enough, sometimes it doesn't seem lilke enough. I have MM for worksheet drill if we need it. Assuming we have completed SM year 4, what level should I get? How are the IP and CWP different?

If you just need more problems, then you might want the Extra Practice book, rather than the IP or CWP books.

That said, IP has hard problems--straight computation, puzzles, word problems. CWP has word problems only. I prefer CWP myself, though I know there are lots of people who think IP is the way to go.

In each section of the IP, there are a few pages of problems similar to those in the textbook & workbook, a few pages of word problems, and a few pages of tricky puzzle-like problems. An average student probably is best off doing the IP book 1-2 semesters behind.

CWP is all word problems, half of which are about the same level as the word problems in the textbook & workbook and half of which are harder. Be forewarned that some of the "challenge problems" in CWP 4-6 are similar to ones I remember being on the SAT in high school. With the really difficult ones, I sometimes just have my DD follow along as I demonstrate how to solve them (my goal at this point is exposure rather than complete mastery).

In each section of the IP, there are a few pages of problems similar to those in the textbook & workbook, a few pages of word problems, and a few pages of tricky puzzle-like problems. An average student probably is best off doing the IP book 1-2 semesters behind.

CWP is all word problems, half of which are about the same level as the word problems in the textbook & workbook and half of which are harder. Be forewarned that some of the "challenge problems" in CWP 4-6 are similar to ones I remember being on the SAT in high school. With the really difficult ones, I sometimes just have my DD follow along as I demonstrate how to solve them (my goal at this point is exposure rather than complete mastery).

Thanks for this. I sort of do this with DS right now, but wasn't sure if it's for any good. DH makes up problems and I work them out with DS as he follows along. He gives input and appears to really follow along, though wouldn't be able to complete it on his own start to finish. He's not really into puzzles and things like that, so maybe the CWP . I looked up an example from their website under the 4th grade and admit I was a little :confused:

Maybe I should start with the CWP a full year behind so as not to frustrate. I wish I would have started with it earlier.

I wish there was a store I could view these books. I almost wonder if I should ditch the WORKBOOK and just do either the CWP and find appropriate MM worksheets for the section we are on. I can't figure out how to not juggle umpteen books in one math session. The HIG has work to do with the student, then I am supposed to do the textbook with the student, then the student does the workbook. It just makes our math time seem a bit odd/long. I am not using the HIG right now but I will for sure next year in 5 because I think I'll need it.

Edited by 425lisamarie

I have to do this with some problems. I work it with my son and several days later I design similar problems and have him solve it on his own. So far I have 4 problems (we only went through CWP2, so we haven't hit really hard ones yet) that we worked on like that and I plan on keeping a running list of them to go back when he is older and rework (we are working above grade level).

I think if I had to pick between the books, I would go with IPs because of the the variety. It's a tough choice.

I uses both. moving higher grade I do use IP more than CWP. DS seems does better with CWP than IP. Both are very challenge. I really can't say one is harder than the other. However, I can see people use IP to replace workbooks as the first part of IP general covers what is in workbook and beyond.

I hear you about The book overload. We switched to mm in january and it's a lot easier to deal with BUT we continued using the CWP. It is a good mix for us. Perhaps switching to MM is the answer?

We actually used MM until recently. I have every grade level of SM, and some units ARE nicer looking than MM. For example the geometry. I really think DS benefited from the section in SM4 textbook because it is very visually appealing. I like the word problem set up in SM, but for just the basic math skills MM was great to accelerate DS until he kind of "hit" grade 4/5. We are kind of straddling SM4B and parts of MM5.

I never really thought to use just the CWP though, that's a good idea. He doesn't really like me to have to "teach" him for so long. He's like hurry up lady and just give it to me :lol:. I just thought if I stuck next year out going more page by page with SM, that we would have a good solid year before pre algebra the following year. I think I'll stop trying to over analyze. He doesn't love the SM workbook, but he likes to work in the textbook with me if it's a new concept. Sometimes MM works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess I'm lucky to have more than one book at my disposal. Thanks for the reminder :D