Menu

History: What are you using?

I have a post at the K-8 Board on the topic of history also, but I'm realizing that part of the issue is that I need to make more specific decisions about high school now and then begin planning towards those choices. Any advice along those lines is welcome too! I'm thinking that I need to spend some time researching and wonder what you guys are using for high school history. Why did you choose what you did? Anyone want to compare a few choices, like Ominibus and TOG, for examples? :D

I have used both TOG and Omnibus I, we are only using TOG this year. Here is a comparison I did a while back:

TOG - History program with great books study.

Omnibus - Great books of Western Civilization study with history readings optionally scheduled.

Who comes out on top (IMHO):

History - TOG

Literature - TOG (Redesign only), although Omnibus is quite good, compared to Classic TOG I give the nod to Omnibus. The rhetoric literature program in Redesign is very meaty, students complete analysis weekly and keep an ongoing file of literary terms that they should be quizzed on.

Writing - Toss-up. Omnibus has lots of writing assignments to choose from including progymnasmata. It doesn't have much writing instruction though (assumes you have learned essay writing and such from IEW I guess.) TOG's writing does a very good job of teaching writing using contemporary methods and you may purchase Writing Aids which includes instruction for teacher and student, samples, organizers, grading rubics.

Socratic Discussion - Tie. I think both to a very good job with teacher prompts and asking good questions.

Worldview - TOG. Omnibus discusses cultural and Biblical views, but since it's limited to the books contained in Omnibus, rather than world history like TOG, I think some areas are covered more in-depth in TOG. With Omnibus you will discuss the ideas of people like Darwin (while reading Livy) but it assumes you already know what those ideas are. TOG has student read portions of Origin of Species and it also has the Pageant of Philosophy pages (narrative written by Marcia Somerville's husband that has a character named Simplico who meets various thinkers throughout the ages. Included in all 4 year plans).

Government/Law - TOG. Again, because TOG covers more cultures in history there can be more discussion brought in. I do like what I have seen of Omnibus' questions about government.

Geography - TOG. There are some map projects included in Omnibus.

Church History - TOG

Fine Art - TOG. Omnibus has some interesting picture studies.

Theology - Omnibus

TOG Credits:

History - 1

English - 1 (using their suggestion to pick a vocabulary book and grammar from Shurley 7 or a foreign language such as Latin). Or 1/2 credit literature and 1/2 credit grammar & composition.

Church History/Bible Survey - 1 credit

Worldview/Philosophy - 1/4 credit

Government - 1/2 credit.

Art History - 1/4 credit

Omnibus Credits (I spoke to a consultant on the phone):

History: 1 credit (with the Spielvogel text)

Literature: 1 credit

Theology: 1 credit

~ This is if you do all the readings (primary and secondary).

If your goal is to focus more on history then maybe TOG is for you; if you want to focus more on great books then perhaps Omnibus. I really like them both very much, but ultimately I chose TOG because it does a very good job at both educating my children and holding my hand and it makes my life easier because all three of my sons are studying the same topics (usually).

HTH,

Karen

I used TOG and Sonlight. I used TOG when I had both of my kids to school. There is a 7 year gap between them and I was going crazy trying to juggle two full Sonlight years. TOG was the only curriculum (at the time) that allowed me to keep both kids on the same topic, but at their own level.

When my oldest graduated, I switched back to Sonlight again (we started off doing Sonlight, 10 years ago). My oldest dd loved Sonlight because she is an avid reader. My youngest preferred TOG. She is currently in 9th grade and I've decided to take a break from history this year to spend the year doing Geography for 1/2 year and State History for the other half. We are going back to TOG next year.

Both of my high schoolers have preferred going to a more traditional text book for these subjects.

World History: A Human Odyssey (Spielvogel)

A History of the United States (Boorstin)

ABeka Geography

American Government (Great Source)

Economics (Bob Jones)

And for World Views, Ethics, and Philosophy:

The Consequences of Ideas DVDs (R.C. Sproul)

Ethics (Christian Schools International)

The Universe Next Door (Sire)

Jean

I have a post at the K-8 Board on the topic of history also, but I'm realizing that part of the issue is that I need to make more specific decisions about high school now and then begin planning towards those choices. Any advice along those lines is welcome too! I'm thinking that I need to spend some time researching and wonder what you guys are using for high school history. Why did you choose what you did? Anyone want to compare a few choices, like Ominibus and TOG, for examples? :D

We are using Trisms for four years of high school. I wanted something in depth, research based, with the literature tied right in. Trisms fit the bill. I also wanted to spend four years doing a board sweep of world history, not just American history. Again, Trisms fit the bill. http://www.trisms.com

We are in our third year and still loving it.

My teen used a hodge podge of resources for 9th grade to study the time period 1700 to 2000. (I'd be happy to share my excel spreadsheet.)

In 10th she did an out of the home AP US history class which used The American Pageant. This year she is doing an out of the home class for AP Comparative Politics and Government. Next year ... time will tell.

Regards,

Kareni

For our Humanities courses

• Modified SL 6 for ancient History.
  • WTM Medieval History
  • HOE (House of Education a free online CM resource) Modern History
  • SL 300 for part of Modern History
  • Psychology and Philosophy at the local cc

My advice in shopping for material is to make sure that it is flexible and that there are in depth discussion questions. Much of the history courses marketed toward the high school kids has good book selections but not enough material to put those books in context. The kids in the rhetoric level need to step up their thinking. They need to not just answer questions about what one person did at one point in time. They need to think about why he did that, why it matters, what it says about the world, how it relates to other things going on the world.

I bought a unit of TOG to preview for my dd. I if I had one going into high school soon, I would definitely look at it for that level. Another that I haven't seen talked about much here is Gileskirk, but I really like the look of their History stuff . I didn't like the depth of discussion in the SL high school material, but I have read that the instructor's guide is being revamped. For textbooks, I like Spielvogel's Human Odyssey.

Good Luck. High school is a lot of fun.

• 7 months later...

Greetings!

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing like teaching history by combining the reading of the best the west has to offer + progymnasmata writing. The key is to pick from the best books available, read them yourself (or find a teacher who has done the work), and then work through just a few. Think deeper not broader. Then have them do writing/reciting exercises in progymnasmata. Here's some of my favorite books and grade levels:

7th/8th - The old 19th century history writings from Charles Morris, *The Romance of history*. Great reads, engaging, 14 volume set covers almost all western and eastern history.

9th - Greek history - read Herodotus and Thucydides, excerpts if time crunched.

10th - Medieval - read Bede, Notker (about Charlemagne), Froissart's Chronicles (great war read).

11th - Modern - read parts of Daubigne's History of the Reformation and some philosophers (Descartes *Method on discourse* for sure).

12th - American - The Federalist papers, Constitution, readings from the Civil War.

The point is to orient their sentiments, mind, and heart toward good ideas; these books will develop a view of the world that is consistent with truth, goodness, and beauty.

- Cheers.

I am using TOG for my 9th grade daughter because I want her to have covered history thoroughly from beginning to end, no gaps. I want the history to correspond with the Bible and literature, with a little geography thrown in. TOG provides all of that and more. I love the way it's organized and I can pick it up and know what to do. It's all there! We have been doing school for 3 weeks now and all I can say is, WOW.