Menu

ProClick binding machine: A Review

I bit the bullet and purchased this binding machine.

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/242/GBC%AE%20ProClick%20P50%2032-Hole%20Paper%20Punch

It comes with the machine alone, no supplies. It is bigger and more sturdy than it appears. It is weighted so it will not slide around while punching holes. It is designed to punch 6 pages of regular copy paper at a time. While it does do 6, I find 4 pages at a time is better.

I also ordered these spines...

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/dd/ee/2023/%3Cz%3E3%3A1%20Pitch%20Color%20Coil

Here's a page where you can guage what size you might need.

http://www.mybinding.com/.sc/ms/ch/black-color-coil-plastic-spiral-binding-coils.html

I ordered the 10mm and 18mm sizes. I found that they hold about the amount of pages recommended. Make sure you order the 3:1 spines if you order the ProClick machine. You get a box of 100, but I found that to be more cost effective than ordering the pro click spines, which only comes in two sizes.

The coils are plastic and I did not order the crimping tool. I found that if you use a lighter and quickly heat up a set of small pliers you can bend the plastic very easily. (Disclaimer: Best to heat the pliers, not the spine, because you don't want to start a fire by lighting your pages on fire) You will also need to cut the spine to size if you are using start 8.5" x 11" paper. Again cutting pliers, not heated, did the job quite well.

The only thing I did not order were any plastic covers or backs, you can buy those unpunched as well.

I ordered from the company in my links. I ordered last Thursday evening, received the machine from Fed Ex on Wednesday, and the spines from UPS on Thursday. I had received e-mail confirmations on both shipments, so I found their service more than acceptable.

I wanted to post this review since I know others had been asking about this machine. I'm having too much fun using it today, I may run out of printer ink.

I spent around 100.00 for my supplies and already find it to be a worthy investment. Hope this is useful to someone else.

The coils are plastic and I did not order the crimping tool. I found that if you use a lighter and quickly heat up a set of small pliers you can bend the plastic very easily. (Disclaimer: Best to heat the pliers, not the spine, because you don't want to start a fire by lighting your pages on fire) You will also need to cut the spine to size if you are using start 8.5" x 11" paper. Again cutting pliers, not heated, did the job quite well.

I may have to try this - i have a coil bound book that is coming undone at teh top, it's not crimped right. :glare: (the really sad thing is that i'm jumping to a conclusion as to where it was bound - i used to work there! LOL!!!)

The only thing I did not order were any plastic covers or backs, you can buy those unpunched as well.

Transparencies can work and are cheaper for the covers, the backs are nice to have too. You could also get some of those sliding edge report covers when the back to school sales start and cut them! Or folders... or......

I ordered from the company in my links. I ordered last Thursday evening, received the machine from Fed Ex on Wednesday, and the spines from UPS on Thursday. I had received e-mail confirmations on both shipments, so I found their service more than acceptable.

Good to know!!!

I wanted to post this review since I know others had been asking about this machine. I'm having too much fun using it today, I may run out of printer ink.

Keep having fun!!!!!! :D

I spent around 100.00 for my supplies and already find it to be a worthy investment. Hope this is useful to someone else.

Glad to hear it, it's still on my list - but a battery backup and a hard drive for the Homesat Recording computer jumped in front of it. HMPH.

Thanks for reporting back!!

The coils are plastic and I did not order the crimping tool. I found that if you use a lighter and quickly heat up a set of small pliers you can bend the plastic very easily. (Disclaimer: Best to heat the pliers, not the spine, because you don't want to start a fire by lighting your pages on fire).

While I was reading this I was imagining heating up the coil! Glad you had the Disclaimer!:lol::lol:

How easy is it to use it for coil binding rather than the pro-click binding? How do you do that?

The 3:1 coil spines have the same holes as the pro-click spines. I like the 3:1 spines better. They are cheaper in the long run and there are more sizes. The pro-click spines also have a "spine" running down them, because the pro-clicks open like a butterfly vs coiling. It makes it a little harder to open the book completely around. I hope that makes sense.

I didn't know you could mix them until I visited the website I have listed in the orginal message.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My dh just bought one for work that I can use too and it's been very nifty. I had some old spiral bound materials that the pages were falling out of and getting ratty. I rebound them and am very happy. Worth the cost for that alone. I also had some old treasured picture books that were failing apart, I binded them together for a sort of peresonal anthology.

dredging this back up :)

Tell me, once you've bound something using a pro-click binder, can you open it back up to add more pages and then close it up again?

Yup! If you use the proclick spines, just use a tool they give you and you can open and add or remove pages and just rezip the spine. I love mine. I find it really easy to use and it looks great.

dredging this back up :)

Tell me, once you've bound something using a pro-click binder, can you open it back up to add more pages and then close it up again?

Yup! If you use the proclick spines, just use a tool they give you and you can open and add or remove pages and just rezip the spine. I love mine. I find it really easy to use and it looks great.

:iagree: The pro-click spines only come in 2-3 sizes, but yes, they're great. I bought some spiral spines which I really love, but you can not add to those.

ETA: I've had my machine for over a year and still think it is one of the best investments I've made for schooling.