Menu

The wonders of language...OR why is it a PAIR of underwear?

While DB in NJ and her guy were discussing cotton or silk pj's last night, my dh and I were discussing why underwear is considered a pair. (I will not divulge the specifics of why we were discussing underwear in the first place ;)). So, I just spent a couple minutes trying to find an answer to this question via Google. I think I've got it. Anyone else have an idea they'd like to share before I put in my $.02? Oh and..NO GOOGLING allowed. I'm curious about whether your ideas will be similar to what dh and I came up with on our own. Or, perhaps you folks will be ueber-smart and get it right off.

Okay, I'm totally not remembering the terminology here,but maybe it's because a ways back(a few hundred years maybe??) men wore something on their legs and then a thing they tied around their crotch area. Maybe it was the pair of things on their legs? That doesn't quite make sense now that I've written it. Lol.

Okay, I'm totally not remembering the terminology here,but maybe it's because a ways back(a few hundred years maybe??) men wore something on their legs and then a thing they tied around their crotch area. Maybe it was the pair of things on their legs? That doesn't quite make sense now that I've written it. Lol.

No...but it sounds funny and the mental image.....is....interesting...:lol:

Now I need some bleach for my minds eye......ewwww.

My guess would have been what LilRed said......or back in the day they only had two pair of undies.....one to work in and one for Sunday best?

I would have to go with the fact that they go over two legs, like a pair of pants/shorts. This makes also sense since we call them a pair of glasses which go over two eyes. Although that could be referring to the two lenses... Is there a "right" answer out there somewhere?

I believe it's because long ago trousers were in two pieces--one for each leg, and then tied around the top.

Women didn't wear underwear for a very long time... there are lots of medeival stories about lady so-and-so falling down, and revealling her bottom to everyone. It was considered very funny.

I believe it's because long ago trousers were in two pieces--one for each leg, and then tied around the top.

I have to agree with Kay. They used to be two separate legs that tied together at the top, hence "pair of pants" which gave birth to "pair of underpants" because they were worn under the pants. (unless you've had one too many Mike"s :D)

Woolybear was first to figure that the term originates from the fact that underwear was once a two part deal, one for each leg and tied at the top to keep chafing down, I suppose. Covering the crotch area was...um...optional. Not covering certainly offered ease of access. I haven't dug in deep enough to figure when the two pieces became one.

Kay -- you and Lisa are runners up. But, Lisa, what are you trying to tell us about the position of one's underwear when one has had too many Mike's?!? :lol:

Women didn't wear underwear for a very long time... there are lots of medeival stories about lady so-and-so falling down, and revealling her bottom to everyone. It was considered very funny.

I have to agree with Kay. They used to be two separate legs that tied together at the top, hence "pair of pants" which gave birth to "pair of underpants" because they were worn under the pants. (unless you've had one too many Mike"s :D)

This is going to drive me crazy all day!!!

I'd just about settled my mind by just "accepting" Nancypant's theory (with a name like I figured she ought to be an authority") below:

Everything below the belt is plural and everything above the belt (that is not worn on ears or eyes) is singular even if they are worn on two matching extremities or appendages. This is my own theory. :tongue_smilie:

But then I thought of diapers :glare:

Bill