Menu

How does your 12th grade schedule look like?

My oldest is working through all of her previous math books as we speak because she plans on re-taking her SATs in November and, hopefully, either getting into college or at least scoring well enough to skip the math placement test at the community college. (She's currently reviewing her Algebra I text). She'll then use Teaching Textbooks PreCalculus from November through the rest of the school year.

She's also using Fraser's The Story of Britain for British History, Apologia Marine Biology for Science, The Learnables Fourth Year Spanish, and Visual Manna's Master Drawing for Art. (Those are her classes at home, which she studies 3 days a week, roughly).

At the community college, she'll be taking British Literature I and Psychology during the fall semester, and British Literature II and Principles of Public Speaking in the spring semester.

First, my daughter has a few more required (by the state) courses to do - Economics, Health, English and some PE. Then we are adding History and French because she wants to do more of these. And I am adding Consumer Math, as I think that she needs to learn some more practical math. And she needs to finish up TT Geometry and do Chalkdust's SAT Math before she takes the SAT again in the fall.

So our plan is something like this -

Summer -

finish Geometry, start SAT Math

Do Health (.5 credit course) in eight weeks - we have a plan

Review French for a placement test in August - she can take French at the CC this year :)

Do a lot of PE

Fall -

take French class which will probably end right before Christmas

continue SAT math until the test

Begin History and English (both 1 credit) and Economics (.5 credit)

Winter -

Continue History and English

Finish Economics and begin Consumer Math (.5 credit)

Spring -

Complete History, English and Consumer Math

It is a light year, but she will also be volunteering at the library over the summer (we hope it will turn into something she can continue over the school year) and babysitting whenever she can. And, of course, applying to a bunch of colleges! The fall will be a little busier, I think, with the CC class, the SAT and writing college application essays. I am hoping that she can get a *real* job after Christmas ...and maybe there will another course at the CC, if French goes well!

Hth!

We are graduating ds a semester early, so he can go full time in the Spring at the local CC.

He is doing part of his math and part of his English over the summer (to get a full credit).

Summer

50 Short Stories (ed. by Martin Crane)

Continue Math

Fall

2 courses at CC--US. Gov't, and Spanish 1

Pre-Calc or Trig, not sure

Rest of Eng--two Write@Home courses (semester Writing One, and Research Paper), 4 Shakespeare plays, several Am and Eng Lit works

Environmental Science for one semester credit using Sustaining the Earth, by Miller, with online resources

Bible, both reading it as devotion and one other study, probably on dating and purity, and on biblical finances--one paper required, some quizzes

Spring 09

CC courses, as yet undetermined, but probably including

College Composition 1

Spanish 2

Drawing 1?

Art History 1? One of these

Math for Liberal Arts majors (if he tests into it)

Film studies

Study skills course (one CC credit, have to take it before you do your 16th hour)

He'll then transfer to a 4 year college, but would be considered a Freshman b/c he wouldn't have 35 hours yet.

Hey HSMamainVA

I just wanted to say that you might want to have your child go thru, not only her math texts, but an SAT-specific review book, like Princeton Review or Rocket. There are some tricks on the test, and it might help.

Also, is your dc in Northern VA, going to NOVA? (pm me if you want to answer but maintain privacy). Ds took the Compass test for Eng placement and said it was tons easier than the SAT--perhaps the math placement test is easier, too (probably!).

and my ds's portfolio is at the school district now and I can't find his syllabus! But, here's a partial list:

Francis Schaeffer's How Should We Then Live DVD series

Total Truth by Nancy Pearcey

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

Handbook of Christian Apologetics by Kreeft and Tacelli

All but MC had study guides contained in the book or dvd; we also used online guides and study questions for discussion and essay topics. The Potter's School used to have their syllabus along with study questions for a course that used a few of these resources (haven't checked lately?)

I thought the course was fabulous; ds is away at camp so I can't ask him:D

Hey HSMamainVA

I just wanted to say that you might want to have your child go thru, not only her math texts, but an SAT-specific review book, like Princeton Review or Rocket. There are some tricks on the test, and it might help.

Also, is your dc in Northern VA, going to NOVA? (pm me if you want to answer but maintain privacy). Ds took the Compass test for Eng placement and said it was tons easier than the SAT--perhaps the math placement test is easier, too (probably!).

Hi Chris!

No, she's at Germanna in Fredericksburg

She's using Barron's for her SAT review, in addition to the math study. She bombed the placement test! She needed a 45 to get into either Math for Liberal Arts or Precalculus and she scored a 23. So her best bet is to re-take her SAT's and try to get a 500 on the math portion (she scored a 440 when she took the SAT in March), because if she can get a 500 or better, she can skip the math placement test at the cc (should she not get into a 4 year college when she applies this fall/winter)

The English placement test was a breeze for my daughter. She scored a 98, if I remember correctly.

Ds will be 12th this fall. Most of his requirements are complete already including things like government/economics, fine arts, etc. Here are his plans:

Math at the cc: Trig in the fall and Pre-calc in the spring (he is obviously not my math/science kid!)

English at the cc: College comp I in the fall and II in the spring

At home:

Medieval history using TTC lectures: Early, High, and Late Middle Ages, along with various books and writing assignments. This will be mostly self directed.

Physics. Haven't made a final decision. Leaning toward either Conceptual Physics or A Beka dvds. He will need to be self directed with this as well. I go back to teaching full time in the fall and dh, who has physics degrees, can help him at times but he travels a lot for work so help would be sporadic.

We are finishing art history this summer with ttc lectures: Art Across the Ages and the book The Annotated Mona Lisa. We are also doing a crash summer course in the classics of British lit.

Fall:

Comp 1

Math for Liberal Arts 1

Psychology

Earth Science with lab

Spring

Comp 2

Math for Liberal Art II or Statistics

Ethics

Lit? or Micro or Macro Economics?

All are at the college through dual enrollment.

Also we're doing Dave Ramsey's student course at home for life skills.

Some things are still up in the air.

Definites:

AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers

AP Latin (Catallus-Ovid)

Literature

Possibles:

Environmental Science at the community college

Greek or Japanese or both or neither

Fine art

We're waiting for schedules from a resource center and for continuing education classes from the local community college. Once we have those in hand, it may be easier to plan.

Regards,

Kareni

Can you please give me an example what courses your 12th grader will be doing his/her last school year.

Thanks

In the fall, my dd will be doing

English

Smarr's Survey of British Literature, and going through The Lively Art of Writing (instead of Smarr's writing lessons for British Lit). I also want her to write a research paper, but haven't got that figured out yet.

Math

Foerster's Algebra & Trigonometry. Not the whole book.

Science

Apologia's Advanced Chemistry in Creation. This was her request for science.

Health

This is required to graduate here in NY. We're using Total Health.

Government and Economics

Also required here in NY to graduate. We're using the books by ABeka.

Latin

Latin in the Christian Trivium, Volume 3

Bible

Rooted and Grounded from deeperroots.org.

Dd also plays soccer, and takes piano and violin lessons.

English:Stewart's Writing 3, Wordsmith, Progeny Press Guides, library books

Math:MUS Algebra II

Bible: Explorer's Bible Study

History:BJU US History,library books

Foreign Language:SOS Spanish II

Science: CLP Biology, Castle Heights Lab

Electives:

SOS Health

Uncle Eric Economics/Gov.

Speech-Library books

300 Art Lessons

Music Lessons

At home: Calculus (Chalkdust)

Religion

At CC: English Comp I

Chemistry

On Line: Computer Programming II

He finished up his requirements in History last year, and since his interests lie in math/science/computers, he will focus his studies there this year. He'll probably take a few cc classes in the spring, too, maybe Psychology and one other, not sure what yet.

HTH,

Brenda

My 12 grader is going to be studying the following courses at home: Economics, American History, American Literature and a 5 credit Spanish II class at NOVA (we're in Northern VA too). I'm not sure what else she might do. She has lots of credits already so she doesn't need to earn any more. She wants to get a job somewhere like Starbucks. She hasn't had a 'real' job yet, just lots of babysitting. She wants something where she'll have a paycheck. She did really well on her SATs but she wants to retake them to see if she can do better.

I don't do her scheduling. She's nearly 18, so she gets to figure it out herself!

Literature & Composition

Chemistry (yes, I wish he were doing Physics...but math is tough for him and he had to wait to be able to do the math part of his science classes)

Algebra II

Geography/Economics

Philosophy, Ethics, and World Views

Spanish II

Music Appreciation

We are using Summit's Understanding the Times. It is a bit expensive, but for us it has been worth every penny. I have been amazed that ds in really getting it. He watched some of the political debates this spring and nailed the foundations of where the various speakers got their ideas with out my prompting him to do so. It has encouraged him to think in ways he has not thought before. He is usually a bit superficial in his assessments, so this has been good for him

here's a link http://www.summit.org/curriculum/hs/homeschool/

hope this helps

Sharon