Menu

SSN on job application?

I was reading the skills your kids don't know and thought it would be a good time for ds to learn to fill out a job application. So I printed one from word and there is a space for SSN. If you were applying at simple place like retail or restaurant would you list it on the initial application? I'm thinking of place that probably wouldn't require a credit check for employment.

Should I suggest he put something like "upon request" or other? I want to protect his SSN and credit information. Obviously this is all speculation as he's not really applying anywhere now, but I wouldn't want his SSN out there on a bunch of application if he never gets a call back.

I would put "on request". We have background checks (at the Y) and there is a separate form for that, which includes that information and permission to run the check.

I'm always a little :001_huh: when people brig in an application with their SSN. I don't really feel comfortable having that kind of information in my possession, even to just stick it in my boss's office.

I'd put "Provided upon hire" since they've already requested it by putting a place for it on the form. I think they have it there because if hired, they'll need it. But they can wait until actual hire to get it.

ETA - Wrote post before Diane posted above.

It used to be standard and it used to be not an issue. In today's world I think it is crazy to give that out on a form that could potentially be accessible to anyone with a key to the bosses office. From the boss herself to the janitor.

Upon request is just fine.

How can you know if it's a place that runs a credit check? I'd be worried to leave it off because if they do want to run a check, he can't be considered an applicant if his application isn't complete. You guys make so much sense, but these things just never cross my radar! I don't know why I don't think about these things.

I would put "on request". We have background checks (at the Y) and there is a separate form for that, which includes that information and permission to run the check.

I'm always a little :001_huh: when people brig in an application with their SSN. I don't really feel comfortable having that kind of information in my possession, even to just stick it in my boss's office.

That was my thinking.

It's required to make sure you're legal. When I was in a position to hire people at my job, I was instructed to toss applications in the trash with no SS# on them. The company my husband works for does the same thing today.

We're you hiring teens? As an adult I wouldn't have as much issue. Plus don't you have to fill out a W9 (is that the right form?) before you can get paid, that verifies your legal status.

I'd put "Provided upon hire" since they've already requested it by putting a place for it on the form. I think they have it there because if hired, they'll need it. But they can wait until actual hire to get it.

ETA - Wrote post before Diane posted above.

That what I was thinking, maybe on an interview. But how many people put in an app and never get called, especially for retail stuff.

It used to be standard and it used to be not an issue. In today's world I think it is crazy to give that out on a form that could potentially be accessible to anyone with a key to the bosses office. From the boss herself to the janitor.

Upon request is just fine.

My thought too.

How can you know if it's a place that runs a credit check? I'd be worried to leave it off because if they do want to run a check, he can't be considered an applicant if his application isn't complete. You guys make so much sense, but these things just never cross my radar! I don't know why I don't think about these things.

It just crossed my mind as I printed this off.

It was a medical office, and older teens were hired to do some filing and janitorial work on occasion.

It's a funny thing...you just never know what an employer is going to think. The person applying is turning in an incomplete application without the SS# on it. The HR person will most likely point this out to the applicant. If the applicant refuses to supply it, they're immediately thought of as "difficult" and have made a negative impression. So they're probably not going to get a call back for an interview if other applicants are plentiful. Of course, if your son said, he didn't know it (lots of teens don't), maybe he could get away with that.

And, in this day and age, with companies being fined exorbitant amounts of money if they hire someone who is in this country illegally, most just do not mess with the SS#. In my husband's industry, they really won't deal with it if you refuse to provide an SS# on your application. They can't afford to make a mistake. With e-verify becoming more and more mandatory, maybe that will change things, but if you're applying for employment in an industry where a high amount of illegal aliens also seek employment, expect not to get a return phonecall if you leave off the SS#.

And almost everyone runs a credit check nowadays. It's cheap and easy, so companies do it. I know the major retailer my son works for does it with every applicant. They're trying to prevent theft issues by not hiring people who owe a lot of money to creditors. I don't think there's necessarily any correlation between the two, but who said this whole hiring process makes sense. It's all bureaucracy anyhow. :glare:

It was a medical office, and older teens were hired to do some filing and janitorial work on occasion.

It's a funny thing...you just never know what an employer is going to think. The person applying is turning in an incomplete application without the SS# on it. The HR person will most likely point this out to the applicant. If the applicant refuses to supply it, they're immediately thought of as "difficult" and have made a negative impression. So they're probably not going to get a call back for an interview if other applicants are plentiful. Of course, if your son said, he didn't know it (lots of teens don't), maybe he could get away with that.

And, in this day and age, with companies being fined exorbitant amounts of money if they hire someone who is in this country illegally, most just do not mess with the SS#. In my husband's industry, they really won't deal with it if you refuse to provide an SS# on your application. They can't afford to make a mistake. With e-verify becoming more and more mandatory, maybe that will change things, but if you're applying for employment in an industry where a high amount of illegal aliens also seek employment, expect not to get a return phonecall if you leave off the SS#.

And almost everyone runs a credit check nowadays. It's cheap and easy, so companies do it. I know the major retailer my son works for does it with every applicant. They're trying to prevent theft issues by not hiring people who owe a lot of money to creditors. I don't think there's necessarily any correlation between the two, but who said this whole hiring process makes sense. It's all bureaucracy anyhow. :glare:

:iagree:

Great, bureaucracy:glare:. I just took an online job and I had to provide my driver's license before being hired, but didn't have to give my SSN until I filled out the W9. It's 1099 employment though, not an employee position.

They won't run a background check until they interview him (those checks cost employers money), so I'd advise leaving it off and writing "will provide" or something like that.

Employers who toss applications without SSNs are not following current HR best practices and I would be leery of working for them.

http://www.shrm.org/TemplatesTools/hrqa/Pages/SocialSecuritynumber.aspx

Your link doesn't work. It says we need membership to access. Can you give us the gist of what it says?

I suppose this would be a good reason to get ds a state ID, as he currently has no picture ID. Not that we're shipping him off to work this summer, but I think he'll try to get a summer job before he's out of school.

Leaving it off an application isn't illegal, nor a bad thing when you consider identity theft that is possible with everything on a job application. The employer is legally obligated to complete an I-9 when they hire someone, that is when the person hired is legally required to complete the documentation that shows they may legally work in the US, citizen or not. And even that form may be filled out completely legally without the social security number stated on it, simply putting "upon request" and/or "on W4" if one wants to reduce the number of documents in their employers hand with the number on it.

The one document that one must furnish their SS# on is the W-4 so that social security and medicare taxes can be withheld properly.

I'm also pretty sure that, among the "are you a criminal" and "are you over 18" check boxes, there is also one asking if you are legally eligible to work in the US. The background check permission form and/or I-9 would then support that.