Menu

Six Flags -- How to $AVE on parking & food??

We just won free tickets for our family for Six Flags Over Texas! :D

Any tips or ideas on how to save $$ for parking and meals? I am thinking of packing a picnic lunch (sandwiches & chips) and bringing water bottles. What food or snacks in the park are reasonable?

Any ideas on rides that are a MUST? Shows that are great? Rides to avoid?

Thanks in Advance!

Definitely take the picnic lunch. There is a big pavilion just outside the gate where you can come out, eat, then go back in. DO buy the big free refill cups though - they are worth it with the heat. I think when we went 2 years ago they were free refills on the day you got them and then cheaper refills on following visits, which we took advantage of a LOT.

As for Parking - I honestly don't even know what they charge. We always take the city express bus there which only costs us $4 a person.

ETA: I'm thinking of Six Flags Fiesta Texas - OOPS!

Edited by frugalmama

Yes, definitely pack a lunch. Food and drinks are crazy expensive there.

The refillable cups might look expensive, but when sodas are $3-$4 each, they are actually an incredible deal because you'll get free refills the day you are there. I don't know the actual rule on this, but we only get 2 or 3 souvenir mugs and share. If we know we won't be going back before the summer's over, I freecycle them (and they are a hot item!) They are a pain to carry around though, although it looks like this year's cup has a sand pail-like handle!

http://www.sixflags.com/overTexas/tickets/onlinemealvouchers.aspx

Theoretically, packing a lunch and going out to eat it and then come back in is a good idea, but keep in mind that doing that means you'll have to walk all the way back to the entrance, walk out to your car, then all the way back in when you're already hot, tired, and have been walking forever. We planned to do that last year, but by the time we were ready for lunch, walking all the way out and back with two hot, tired kids was too much and we ended up just eating in the park and eating our packed lunch for supper on the way home. If you can park fairly close and plan your activities so that you're close to the entrance when you're ready to eat, that might work better.

And definitely get the cups with the free refills--totally worth it.

I'm not familiar with SFOTexas, but we've been to other SF parks. Park food prices are outrageous, and for me, it takes a lot of fun out of the experience.

The website is clear about no food or beverages being allowed in (except for baby food and food for severe allergies). It also states that there is a picnic area outside the entrance, but of course you'd have to return to your car to get your food.

I don't know if you pack lunches for other things, but I have to tell you that we bought one of these from Target.

http://www.target.com/p/Igloo-Maxcold-Maxpack-Cooler-Black-18-Can/-/A-13465885#?lnk=sc_qi_detailimage

We have had it for 5 years now and have taken it into Disney, our local theme park, our local museum, picnics, you name it. It has been VERY used over the years.

If we plan right, we can pack lunch for 5 including water bottles (one or two frozen to keep the inside cold.)

Tupperware with 5 sandwiches, string cheese, small tupperware of trail mix, cookies, granola bars, cut up fruit, you name it.

And a tub of pringles fits nicely in the side pocket. I don't' normally like pringles, but they are the easiest to carry into places like theme parks.

Dawn

What we like to do for one meal (usually dinner) is walk out of the park and across the street to Cheddars. You still pay restaurant prices, but you get better food, drinks refilled as much as you want, and you can sit in the air conditioning. Other than that, we take a picnic lunch, but you have to leave the park to eat. You can't take anything in. They have some nice picnic areas outside the park though.

I'm not sure there is a way to save on parking though, unless you can have someone drop you off. We've done that before because my mom lives 15 minutes from the park, but otherwise I think you are stuck paying the parking prices.

We picnic when we go. Since we go to fiesta texas it gives us a chance to change into our swimming clothes and grab towels before heading to the water park.

While the soda cups are great since they are refillable, we prefer to go with water. There are water fountains and we usually bring in empty water bottles and fill them at the water fountains. That way we stay hydrated with out the carbonation and sugar. We usually take empty clear water bottles from home, with the little ones sometimes we will do empty sippy cups. That way if they fuss and make us ditch them no biggie. But we have never had a problem bringing them.

Last year at Six Flags (Maryland) security checked our purses and took our snack bars and water bottles and threw them in the trash.

Unfortunately, outside food and drink are not allowed in Six Flags. You have to eat outside the park if you bring your own food. They search up here before you go in the park.

We go back to our car and 'tailgate' picnic for lunch and dinner. We usually just do sandwiches, fruit, pasta salad, etc, but I have even seen people with little gas grills making hotdogs and burgers.

When we get into the park we buy one or two bottles of water - which we refill at the bubblers throughout the day. I have also occasionally brought those little individual packets of Crystal Light to turn the water into lemonade.