Menu

Gymnastics moms...question

I'm sure this is a pretty typical question and I'm pretty sure the answer is "depends on the individual." However, I would *LOVE* some answers, if you have just a moment.

What kind of timing did it take your kid to move up in levels? Did it help doing gymnastics as a preschooler? Anyone start with a six year old? What kinds of things did you do to support her practice? How many hours was she taking for the kind of progress she showed?

Again, I know it depends. Just looking for some experiences.

Edited by 2J5M9K

It depends on the child! Does that help? Lol

We knew gymnastics would be our dd's thing early on and we waited. She started lessons at 5 1/2. It was obvious early on that she had some talent and she was moved quickly to the pre-team. Now. At just 6 we are having to make some very serious decisions about her training. She is currently level 4.

But there are two girls in dd's pre-team class who are 8. Both are incredible! They will advance quickly, I am sure! The highest level gymnast at dd's gym started at 8! She had talent and advanced quickly.

Eta, dd started out at one class a week. Pre team put her at three hours a week. Then she got advanced to a fast track team for another three hours a week. Total six hours. She is advancing quickly now! This summer they want her 12 hours a week! As I said earlier, we have decisions to make.

Edited by Jennifer in MI

My little girls got a late start. They are just finishing their second school year in gymnastics, so they started when they were 9 and 6(three months before turning 7).

They have progressed more quickly than the younger girls in their classes. Dd 10 will be promoted to Level 4 in a couple of weeks. Dd 8 will be promoted to level 3.

My girls' biggest challenge is that they are both VERY tall for their ages. Some skills come more easily, but others are more of a challenge.

It depends :)

DD started taking rec classes at 3 and 4 years old but due to various issues didn't start team until she was 6. By the time she was 9 she was a level 4, 10 level 5 and 11 years old level 7 -- she skipped 6). She'll repeat 7 this year. She's in the gym around 14 hours per week -- not as much as some of the gyms we compete against but we hold our own and do end up with several of our levels state champions.

My dd has been moving up the ranks with a 9 year old girl (now level 7). She is a TOPS kid. She'll probably be a Level 8 by June. For the first time in years they won't be on the same level.

Another girl started at 8 years old (was a dancer before) and will be a Level 7 by July, I think. She's currently 11 years old.

We have several 6th grade lvl 8s, 9s and one will move to lvl 10 as a 7th grader -- TOPS kid.

Other ones have started at 5 or 6 years old and are currently at level 5 at 11 years old.

It has been interesting to watch the girls because some of the girls that I thought were really good as level 3s didn't move as quickly as I thought they might.

The 9 year old level 7 had a mediocre start until she hit level 7 and is now one of the best girls on the team.

Practice times slowly increases -- at lvl 4 it is about 8 hours per week and at 7 it is around 12 hours per week. Our gym doesn't practice as much as other gyms and I'm okay with that. Some of the ones we compete against practice 20 hours at lvl 7.

Gymnastics is a passion for the child at least in our house. I try to just sit down and enjoy the ride. As long as she loves it I'll continue to sacrifice for it because I see the benefits for her and our family. Once she's done then that's it because it is her passion.

It depends :)

DD started taking rec classes at 3 and 4 years old but due to various issues didn't start team until she was 6. By the time she was 9 she was a level 4, 10 level 5 and 11 years old level 7 -- she skipped 6). She'll repeat 7 this year. She's in the gym around 14 hours per week -- not as much as some of the gyms we compete against but we hold our own and do end up with several of our levels state champions.

My dd has been moving up the ranks with a 9 year old girl (now level 7). She is a TOPS kid. She'll probably be a Level 8 by June. For the first time in years they won't be on the same level.

Another girl started at 8 years old (was a dancer before) and will be a Level 7 by July, I think. She's currently 11 years old.

We have several 6th grade lvl 8s, 9s and one will move to lvl 10 as a 7th grader -- TOPS kid.

Other ones have started at 5 or 6 years old and are currently at level 5 at 11 years old.

It has been interesting to watch the girls because some of the girls that I thought were really good as level 3s didn't move as quickly as I thought they might.

The 9 year old level 7 had a mediocre start until she hit level 7 and is now one of the best girls on the team.

Practice times slowly increases -- at lvl 4 it is about 8 hours per week and at 7 it is around 12 hours per week. Our gym doesn't practice as much as other gyms and I'm okay with that. Some of the ones we compete against practice 20 hours at lvl 7.

Gymnastics is a passion for the child at least in our house. I try to just sit down and enjoy the ride. As long as she loves it I'll continue to sacrifice for it because I see the benefits for her and our family. Once she's done then that's it because it is her passion.

This is the decision we have to make. They want my dd at six to come in twelve hours a week! Level four. I wish there were a gym like yours around for the younger gymnasts!

My daughter started a homeschool gymnastics class about 3 months after she turned 8. 3 months later, they wanted her on the team. At almost 12 she is a level 5 with 9 hours of practice a week. They practice from 5-8 two nights and 4-7 one night. This isn't a problem for us because she is old enough. There were a few girls on her level 4 squad that really had issues because to move up a 7 or 8 yo girl to be practicing that late was a problem for them.

As a family you really need to sit down and see where you want gymnastics to lead. If you want it to be a fun way to exercise, then start her whenever. If you want her to be the next Nastia Lukin, you might be too late unless she already shows some natural talent. If you want her to move up the ranks and continue for as long as she enjoys it, then realize this is an expensive and time consuming sport. Our higher level girls practice 15 hours a week during the school year and 20+ over the summer. That goes for the ones that are 9/10 yo as well as the 15/16 yos. Their competition fees also make mine look like a drop in the bucket and most are out of state.

Our dd is moved up one level each summer along with several other girls. Our gym doesn't go as many hours as others. If you want to move faster you need to take individual lessons. But dd and the team did quite well at state and I don't want to live in the gym, so we're happy.

Recreational - 1 hr week

Pre-team - 3 hrs week

Level 2 - 4 hrs a week

Level 3 - 6 hrs a week

Level 4 will likely be 9 or 10 hours per week.

When dd was invited to the developmental program, they said usually it takes about 6 months to move up a level. She has moved a little faster, but she started a little later than some other kids (and the ripe old age of 5! LOL).

Her lessons are 4 hours a week right now and she is getting a little worn out by how long they are. I don't know what we would do if they wanted her in for more hours. We will probably have to make a decision soon because although dd really loves gymnastics and is good at it, she isn't interested in competing. I don't know if this will change when she is older, but right now she says she doesn't want to be in a competition.

My daughter started tumbling and trampoline at age 6. Prior to that, she was at Little Gym, where she learned almost nothing, but had fun.

At our gym, 6 is the minimum age for level 1.

Our gym has specific requisites of which maneuvers must be competently performed before moving up a level. The rate at which that happens depends entirely on the individual - their physical attributes, their knack, and (most importantly) how much they practice.

My DD seems to have a knack and is dedicated to practicing at home. I think she can probably get to level 2 at our current rate after a year of training (1 class a week since January and almost daily practice at home, so by next January, I'd guess), but from what I observe, anything beyond level 2 probably requires additional class or training time. In my experience with most anything, twice a week is the minimum to improve much at just about anything.

I have to say, I often laugh when people talk about it being "too late" to do anything. ESPECIALLY at age 6! At almost ANY age if you put your mind to something you can get pretty good at it. No, you won't be competing at the Olympics - but let's face it - even if you started from the cradle the odds are still stacked against you being an Olympic athlete. Even as a teen you can learn to enjoy gymnastics and if you work hard at it, maybe even participate competitively at a local level.

I was sad at the gym a few months back listening to a couple snotty tween girls mocking maybe and 11 or 12 yr old who was training with a class of mostly 8ish yr old students on the mat, all while feigning to wave at her in a friendly manner. Pardon my french, but screw them! That 11 yr old who is willing to be in the level 2 class with a "beginner's mind" will, if she sticks to it, be better served to become a lifelong learner and become more diverse, well-rounded, competent, successful, and happy.

But to answer your question - we have a living room clear enough for tumbling practice - no coffee table, etc. I smile and encourage a lot, and on occasion, spot her for trying something new. She's just a tumbler though, not a full gymnast. I'd imagine for that same amount of practice, one just needs more time on the equipment to practice.

Edited by zenjenn

I have to say, I often laugh when people talk about it being "too late" to do anything. ESPECIALLY at age 6! At almost ANY age if you put your mind to something you can get pretty good at it. No, you won't be competing at the Olympics - but let's face it - even if you started from the cradle the odds are still stacked against you being an Olympic athlete. Even as a teen you can learn to enjoy gymnastics and if you work hard at it, maybe even participate competitively at a local level.

The bolded part is especially true for female gymnasts. The majority of the girls they take to the Olympics are going to fall between the ages of 16-19 and if your daughter's birthday just happens to make her 15 the year of the Olympics, then she will be at the top end for the following Olympic cycle. Add to that they take a whopping 10ish girls and only the elite of the elite have a chance. My daughter knew going in if she worked really hard and made it through the levels quickly, she was still looking at possibly college level gymnastics, not the Olympics.

THanks y'all.

Wow, I don't think I understood any of this. All four littles go to gymnastics one afternoon per week. The boys roll around a little, but aren't obsessed. The one six yo is only here through the end of the month, but she practices a lot.

Then, my daughter is one of those kids who....everything she touches turns to gold. It is really crazy, especially considering her past. Anyway, last night, we went up to the gym for two other reasons, but she got to really see many higher level kids. THere seemed to be a pretty big age difference. Our speech therapist's 5yo is doing 3 or 4 hours per week. I'm just wondering where it goes from there, I guess. V is 6 and has been there about 6 weeks.

I just don't think we could afford a ton. And then the question is what we're gonna do if one of the boys has any real ability also (they've only gone twice so....).

But we aren't looking at the Olympics. I'm assuming the Univ of Texas (or any other state school as she can go to any "free") has a gymnastics team.

My dd is 13 and doing prep op (I think that is what it is called). She didn't even start gymnastics until she was 12. She will never been in the olympics, but she loves what she is doing. She is not advanced at all, but has made great strides in just a year. I guess we just do it because she loves it so much and it is good for her. She enjoys the competitions, but we are not really in it for that. She dropped a lot of weight and added so much muscle by starting this. Right now she goes about 6 hours a week. We have been SO LUCKY to find a small gym where the coach gives us the most amazing homeschool rates. Seriously, like 1/3 of of the cost of other gyms. At this point - I will keep taking her until she says she is tired of it. I don't see that happening any time soon though.

THanks y'all.

I just don't think we could afford a ton. And then the question is what we're gonna do if one of the boys has any real ability also (they've only gone twice so....).

But we aren't looking at the Olympics. I'm assuming the Univ of Texas (or any other state school as she can go to any "free") has a gymnastics team.

This is an expensive sport. We are at a cheap gym and still pay over $1000 annually just for the lessons. Then you have to add competition fees (easily another $300), booster club fees ($250 for us), competition leotard fee with warm up can run $300-$500 when we can't find a used one, and travel expenses even within the state can get pricey. This year we are lucky and 4 of our meets are in our home city. Normally it is just 2 and then you are possibly looking at a hotel night for the rest depending on when you compete.

I feel your pain about the "what if one of the other ones does well?" I have a boy they have hounded for on the team for several years. They only have 1 level that they compete within the state. After that, they travel the entire southeast region for their meets. We just cannot afford that on top of DD's. Needless to say, we are branching out and are going to let the boys try some different sports. They only know gymnastics right now because that's what we started with.

Actually, I don't think any state college in Texas has a collegiate gymnastics team (at least a competition team, I don't know about recreational.)

Rebecca has been doing gymnastics since she was 3. We live in a very small town with one noncompetitive gym. She did level 4 routines a couple of years ago but then moved to a stunt/tumbling team instead. We're switching to a competitive gym and she's starting out at level 4 again. I was also wondering how quickly she'd advance.

ETA: She's been doing 2 hours a week since she was about 7. Now she's going up to 12 hours!

Edited by Mommy22alyns

I think the main thing is that I want her to have fun and to be able to enjoy all aspects, including competition if she wants. At the same time, our idea of balance would preclude 20 hours of gym time. I'm pretty sure my budget would also!

We were big in another sport a few years back. Though it was pretty expensive, that included unlimited classes. If you were of a level to attend a certain class, you could go for your monthly fee. Of course, there were plenty of other money-eaters, but....

I can see why they may not be able to do it the same (you can have a REALLY big class for some sports while other sports require smaller classes). I just...I just may not be able to do SO much. I did look on the website. The jump from once class per week to two costs a lot; but after that, the jumps are very do-able.

We'll see.

One thing to caution--you and dh might be thinking it's great for exercise and fun, and budget might not allow for it to go further, but that might not be how it works out!

Our kids started in diapers with the parent-tot class, and both progressed from there at the reasonable/fun start. Youngest decided she wanted her own sport so switched to soccer (thankfully) but our now 7 year old continued in gym.

It started out 1-2 times a week, for an hour-long class, but has now turned into 16.5 hours per week, and she's only 7. During the summer it bumps to 19.5. Of course, this does include TOPS.

We NEVER planned for this to happen, but she loves it and she shows a strong aptitude. Because we have an unusual lifestyle/family situation anyway, her sport doesn't really take away from "family time" so it's not an issue like it would be for some. If we were in ps, there's NO way we'd have her in gym this much.

But alas, once the kid gets hooked and they show talent, it becomes a fast moving train. Better to decide ahead of time where you want to go with it, and firmly steer your child that direction with realistic expectations.

Thank you Georgiana. There is absolutely NO way I'm willing to do 20 hours in the gym PERIOD. Even if I *could* pay for it (how many classes is that considered?), it is not a choice for our family. I'll have to be clear with the coach. I have talked with V about it. She has a unique situation that helps her be happy with what she gets rather than focusing on what she doesn't.

Thank you Georgiana. There is absolutely NO way I'm willing to do 20 hours in the gym PERIOD. Even if I *could* pay for it (how many classes is that considered?), it is not a choice for our family. I'll have to be clear with the coach. I have talked with V about it. She has a unique situation that helps her be happy with what she gets rather than focusing on what she doesn't.

A lot of time the competition teams have their own schedules that are not part of the class schedules. DD is there 3 days a week as part of her team. If we wanted, I guess we could add additional tumbling classes. They do not encourage that though as the girls' bodies need the rest. You should also ask the coaching staff what they do for their team. Each gym will be different. Ask about all the way up even if she/he tells you not to worry about that yet.

DD8 is a level 4 and does 9 hours a week (M, T, Th 5:30-8:30pm) This is much less time than other gyms in the area and the girls don't advance as quickly unless self-motivated.

My dd is very tall and not a "natural" and we never figured she would even want to do team but she did and started out at 6 on pre-team at 3 hours a week, moving to a Level 4 at 6 hours a week last year, now 9 hours/week and probably moving up a level for next year.

It's been good for her but she knows she will be to tall to take it to seriously. She will do it until it's not fun anymore and then.. not. (but in our gym, even the Level 6/7's only train 9 hours week if it were more, I would probably say no)

We have some girls with natural ability who started gymnastics at 8 or 9 and went to team a year later and moved up fast! There are advantages to starting young but older ones are stronger and better able to understand what the coach is telling them to do and implement it.

DD is on compulsory team(Junior Olympic program) but here in WA, a lot of our gyms also have a recreational optional competitive team whose practice time, fees and competitions are MUCH less. You might ask about such in TX.

I don't think six is too late at all! There is such a wide discrepancy of skill levels from 5-8! My dd turned 5 last month and is level 2. There is one other girl her age, a six year old, and a couple 7 year olds in her class. The older ones seem to pick things up a little quicker. My dd has been in gym for about a year now, but the first few months in pre-rec were more like play time. I don't think you miss much by starting at 6. As for hours, we only go 3 per week now. As long as she continues to love it, I will continue to let her go.....regardless of the hours required (well, within reason of course!)

V has spent the last three hours flipping around the livingroom (the other kids weren't allowed as they didn't help pick up to be able to). Who knew a line of tape could mean so much to a kid?!?! Her cartwheels are NICE now! She can even do a one-handed one that looks half-decent :)

Anyway, she said she is going to ask Coach what she has to do for Level 2. I reminded her to ask before or after, not during, class :)

Edited by 2J5M9K

V has spent the last three hours flipping around the livingroom (the other kids weren't allowed as they didn't help pick up to be able to). Who knew a line of tape could mean so much to a kid?!?! Her cartwheels are NICE now! She can even do a one-handed one that looks half-decent :)

Anyway, she said she is going to ask Coach what she has to do for Level 2. I reminded her to ask before or after, not during, class :)

Rebecca practices constantly too. DH and I joke that she can't walk from point A to point B, she has to flip.

Mine used to do a lot of practice at home. Then she broke her foot coming out of a handstand and kicking a chair that no matter what she says did not actually move while she was in the handstand. She also gashed her brother's face with a toenail coming out of a handstand. She is no longer allowed off her feet at home.

Rebecca practices constantly too. DH and I joke that she can't walk from point A to point B, she has to flip.

At our house the standing joke is we can't keep dd right side up. ;)

Dd started at 2 in a toddler class. We moved and she started at our current gym at 3 and was in a preschool class until 4, then joined preterm for almost 2 years. right before she turned 6 she went to level 2/3 and then in Feb. she moved to level 4 (about 10 months later).

I questioned the move up, it was a huge jump in commitment. For toddler/ preschool/ pre team classes it was 1 hour a week, level 2/3 was 3 hours and now she is at 7 (the other kids her level do anther 1.5 hrs we don't do bc of church).

I thought dd would get tired of it, I never thought she would even stay in it this long but something happened when she made level 4, something about the challenge and the more time has driven her to love it more. Strange. We are In it for the fun and exercise for now. Our gym is super competitive, but they are pretty good about not pushing the young ones too hard.

I love that dd loves it. She has learned fantastic perseverance and work ethic from it and she is only 6. One thing I realized this year though when dd was interested briefly in trying horseback riding, after becoming so serious and competitive in gymnastics so early, at 6 she is a serious athlete. I don't see how she could do sports recreationally after this very easily. She knows what it is like to work hard, advance and compete. There is a positive and a negative to this. ;)

The good thing about gymnastics is for the little ones, it is mostly a year per level, so you have time to consider the commitment of the next keel before making that jump. However, I can't see the transition out even at this point being a smooth one if it were our decision and not hers. Because of this, we really weighed the team decision carefully.