Menu

I am looking for the most efficient programs....

No seriously, Lol.

I am looking to get the most bang for our buck...and not spending 3 hours on something that takes 2 minutes to understand.

Which programs....any subject.....do you find the most efficient for teaching particularly skill subjects...

I liked:

Sequential Spelling

Latina Christiana 1 and 2 without the Hx portion

A Beka Math

KISS Grammar is ok as long as you pick and choose topics

Prufrock Logic books

I am looking for efficiency in all subjects....

Thanks,

Faithe

Colorful bulletin board sets and posters. Seriously. I was going to teach place value in a few weeks up to trillions, but I got my bulletin board set from Scholastic early and put it up. I don't have to teach place value anymore. She's got it.

Also like the workbook series Maps Charts Graphs for map skill and geographical stuff.

Colorful bulletin board sets and posters. Seriously. I was going to teach place value in a few weeks up to trillions, but I got my bulletin board set from Scholastic early and put it up. I don't have to teach place value anymore. She's got it.

Ooooh I want to see! :001_smile: Do you have a link?

Also like the workbook series Maps Charts Graphs for map skill and geographical stuff.

:iagree:I agree with this. My kids like these.

I agree with Latina Christiana without the history portion, too.

I think Singapore is very efficient, especially for a kid who's math intuitive.

The Story of the U.S.A., Books 1-4. 18yods, who leaves for college in August to double major in History/Politics, says these made him love history. (Sigh. For the most part, we did great books study and these workbooks get all the credit! Oh well.)

Our Living Constitution for middle school government/Constitution

Spelling Workout

Phonics Pathways

Edited by Luann in ID

I think if you really want to be efficient, pay attention to the timing of when you start a subject. If you wait until the child is absolutely ready for the topic, they'll progress much more quickly than a child who's not yet ready. I was just reminded of this today when I saw how quickly my daughter is learning to type when just a year or two before it was a struggle that we gave up on. So if you really, really want to be efficient, skip all the elementary level Latin books and start with Whelock's in middle school. Or skip elementary math books and start with Lial's Basic College Math. There are folks who'll put off teaching reading until 7 or 8... And I'm certain they all end up at the same place in the end... but with a lot more efficient use of materials.

You are talking my language!

For efficiency I usually try to combine subjects. For example, we combine handwriting, copywork, and usually another subject like latin or grammar. I also try to combine students, though sometimes it is easier to have them work separately.

We like R&S English and Latina Christiana. We read SOTW for history and use it for narrations/writing. I also like MP's States & Capitals course.

I think if you really want to be efficient, pay attention to the timing of when you start a subject. If you wait until the child is absolutely ready for the topic, they'll progress much more quickly than a child who's not yet ready. I was just reminded of this today when I saw how quickly my daughter is learning to type when just a year or two before it was a struggle that we gave up on. So if you really, really want to be efficient, skip all the elementary level Latin books and start with Whelock's in middle school. Or skip elementary math books and start with Lial's Basic College Math. There are folks who'll put off teaching reading until 7 or 8... And I'm certain they all end up at the same place in the end... but with a lot more efficient use of materials.

I agree and disagree with you. While it makes no sense to teach a child typing or Latin or algebra when a child is not developmentally ready, waiting to teach foundational skills is imo very INefficient.

What's more efficient than a child who can read? A child who can read can learn all kinds of things on his own without Mom having to spoon feed it. Too many parents equate lack of attention span or any struggle at all with "not developmentally ready." My motto for survival is: Get them reading as early as you can.

And anyone who thinks a child can just jump into Lial's BCM at any time with no foundational math skills should take a look at Jann in TX's post here.

Her post reminds me to add the Key to... books to my list of efficient curricula. We love those books.

So, sure, I agree that many subjects can and should wait, but be careful how long you hold off on the foundational skills.

Edited by Luann in ID

Using a flexible writing curriculum that requires the student to use grammar skills in spicing up their sentences by varying the sentence structure and including power words by class, can cover just about everything other than math.

If I could only keep one curriculum besides a math, it would be IEW. I can make it work for us in so many subject areas.

This is a good reminder to me to make writing across the curriculum a top priority before I go trying to squeeze in more frills.

I've drooled over some of the more interesting grammar and writing curriculums. Oh yes, and those beautiful lap books from homeschool in the woods. They would be so much FUN.

Efficient and Effective wins out here most of the time. This doesn't mean boring textbood dry though. Hands on activities that require my kids to cooperate, negotiate, and plan together are fun and meet some social skills goals to boot.

LOve hearing these ideas.

Rod and Staff English

Key to (for math)

Rainbow Science---short, sweet, and to the point!

reading, reading, and more reading! Not only do kids learn content from reading, they also learn vocabulary, grammar, writing, morals, life lessons, ect. If we have a season of life where we can't fit history or science in, I know having my kids go to the library and pick some books to read will fill in the gaps.

Ooooh I need this, DD1 does so much better with visuals.

Side Note: how hard was it to sign up with Scholastic as a homeschooler. I tried it once before but they never got back to me.

Oooh!!! Love the poster idea! Stealth!

I agree and disagree with you. While it makes no sense to teach a child typing or Latin or algebra when a child is not developmentally ready, waiting to teach foundational skills is imo very INefficient.

What's more efficient than a child who can read? A child who can read can learn all kinds of things on his own without Mom having to spoon feed it. Too many parents equate lack of attention span or any struggle at all with "not developmentally ready." My motto for survival is: Get them reading as early as you can.

And anyone who thinks a child can just jump into Lial's BCM at any time with no foundational math skills should take a look at Jann in TX's post here.

Her post reminds me to add the Key to... books to my list of efficient curricula. We love those books.

So, sure, I agree that many subjects can and should wait, but be careful how long you hold off on the foundational skills.

Yeah, I agree... I wouldn't personally wait until 8 to teach a child to read and there is plenty of developmentally appropriate math to be done in early elementary. But my point is that timing rather than materials may determine efficiency. If you truly want to be efficient... you are better off waiting until it comes really easily and do it quickly once than repeating the same basic material for 5 years and ending up in the same place.

Ooooh I need this, DD1 does so much better with visuals.

Side Note: how hard was it to sign up with Scholastic as a homeschooler. I tried it once before but they never got back to me.

It wasn't too bad. I did have to talk to a human on the phone to get it all done, but it wasn't too aggravating. That was a few years ago. I think it might be easier now, and possibly the on-line registration works well for homeschool now. I think they improved it.

I don't think you have to register to order from their Teacher Store. (Although I'm not positive. Since I am registered, it hasn't really come up.)

You are talking my language!

For efficiency I usually try to combine subjects. For example, we combine handwriting, copywork, and usually another subject like latin or grammar. I also try to combine students, though sometimes it is easier to have them work separately.

We like R&S English and Latina Christiana. We read SOTW for history and use it for narrations/writing. I also like MP's States & Capitals course.

I do a lot of subject /skill combining too. I teach writing, grammar, spelling, vocabulary etc. In the context of history or science. Latin lends itself well to vocabulary and grammar.

It wasn't too bad. I did have to talk to a human on the phone to get it all done, but it wasn't too aggravating. That was a few years ago. I think it might be easier now, and possibly the on-line registration works well for homeschool now. I think they improved it.

I don't think you have to register to order from their Teacher Store. (Although I'm not positive. Since I am registered, it hasn't really come up.)

Thanks for the info. I may have to try again.

abcteach.com offers learning center type poster printable that summarize the highlights of a topic. I like to print these out and put them on the kids' desks. Of course, getting the kids to look at them is a separate challenge.

And... at my house, two out of three have not been able/ready to read until 8. We spend the time prior to that laying the foundation.

But my point is that timing rather than materials may determine efficiency. If you truly want to be efficient... you are better off waiting until it comes really easily and do it quickly once than repeating the same basic material for 5 years and ending up in the same place.

Yes, I think you're absolutely right.:)