Menu

1st/2nd grade reading material for adults

A bit off the homeschool track but I figured if anyone would have ideas it would be the Hive :001_smile:

My husband is teaching Adult Education at a correctional institution and has a few men reading at 1st and 2nd grade level. He asked me if I had anything from that age level. My olders are way beyond that and my little guy is still at pre-preschool levels. Aside from which anything I would have (or would know of) would be geared toward young children and not appropriate for grown men in prison.

Any ideas on reading materials or curriculums for these guys? I'm googling but google seems a bit stumped as well.

TIA!

Have you seen Harriette Treadwell's readers? They are classic stories (fables, poetry, lit) written at lower reading levels.

Haven't used this, but you might look at it.

http://www.righttrackreading.com/backtrackdetails.html

Phonics Pathways was written with remedial adults in mind. It's not babyish in the slightest.

You all are WONDEFUL!! :001_smile: Forwarding these to dh.

Most of my adult ed students are about grade 3. Let me think a bit, though.

To start, check out the Easy English Bible. It uses just a 1,200 word vocabulary.

Can they use audio resources?

Thanks! I'm sure he'd love any ideas you have. He's got two groups of about 20 men each so there are a lot of different levels in the mix. I'm not sure on the audio. Dh is going to look into audio and computer access at the prison.

I've actually interacted a bit with male prisoners a few times in my life. Once at a church that the pastor was very involved in the prison, and then welcomed the men after their releases. And when I left my marriage because of domestic abuse I fell through the cracks of the system, and my first 4 months were, well... VERY eventful to say the least.

I know you asked about reading, but I'm going to give you a bit more info than you asked for. Drawing and all forms of creativity are a big deal to incarcerated, hospitalized and homeless men. They like drill and explicit instructions to START with. Then they enjoy breaking the rules and adding their special touches.

The guys love Keyhole Ken in The Cartoon Workbook.

51KN8TMQFPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

image.php?id=13594&size=large&format=auto&rev=1

And add the "feelings" pages from Ed Emberley's funprints or fingerprints books.

thumbprint+emotions.jpg

I find that the ladies I tutor really like to draw as part of their lessons. Doodles in the margins, maps, and greeting cards/letters are all a big hit. I never TAUGHT the men, but more shared resources and showed them what I was doing. I found them to sometimes have some similar tastes, but also some different ones at times.

I need to get offline...like NOW, so I'll finish this tomorrow.

Right Track Reading and We All Can Read are both good. The nonsense words in We All Can Read should be especially helpful.

Another interesting choice is used in prisons in the UK, "Toe by Toe."

You can also use the materials on my how to tutor page. I use this to teach groups of remedial students. When I teach with mixed ability and age groups, I teach the first principles all together doing a lot of oral spelling. Then, they progress on their own through Blend Phonics and Webster's Speller. They read quietly aloud and I walk around the room and listen, correcting mistakes as I hear them. If the student is doing well, I will have them try a few of the harder words on the page.

If they have access to a computer and you can tell them about Christian materials, my free online phonics lessons are designed for older children and adults. They should also be available on DVD in a month or so, I'm working on the last 2 of 6 DVDs.