Menu

Update on my dd who decided nursing school wasn't for her

Chris in PA

Hi all,

I wanted to update everyone on my dd who dropped out of nursing school in the fall. She was accepted into the local state university and started in January. In the fall she completed her English comp class at the nursing school and received an A. I was shocked as she always struggled with writing (at least I thought so). She is finishing her finals this week and it looks like she will do very well. Her speech communications professor asked to use several of her outlines as examples for future classes. She has found her groove! She has decided to major in psychology as she wants to help people. She knows she will need at least a masters degree and she is now talking about a PhD. This from the girl who never saw the purpose for school. She is thriving and loves college! I stand in awe of it all. Homeschooling works!

Thanks so much for the update, Chris! :001_smile: I followed your earlier thread and was interested to see this one as my dd (11th grade--and a real people person) is interested in nursing--we have yet to find out if it's really for her or not.

So happy your dd has found her passion! :001_smile:

Thank you! I love to hear these updates because it is SO encouraging to look "beyond" homeschooling and see what our amazing kids accomplish.

BTW, she's getting good grades in writing. Were you one that used IEW or what did you do for jr/sr high writing for your dd?

Congrats- you should be proud!

Paula

:party:

Congrats!! It's so rewarding to see your kids find their place.

As a nurse, I hesitate to recommend the field to anyone. It has so many positive and negative variables, that it's really hard to predict who will actually fit and be happy with the profession. Often times the negatives outweigh the positives. Psychology is very rewarding too, can help tremendously, potentially it can have less stress as a profession, and definitely has less cleaning of body fluids :lol:

BTW, she's getting good grades in writing. Were you one that used IEW or what did you do for jr/sr high writing for your dd?

Paula

Yes we used IEW in 11th and 12th grades with her. I really think the structure helped her tremendously! I also worked on outline with her consistantly. Somehow she managed to pull it all together and do very well.