Menu

Question about math sequence

What math order do YOU think is best?  

1. 1. What math order do YOU think is best?

• TT v 2.0 Algebra 1, TT v2.0 Algebra 2, TT Geometry
    • TT Algebra 1, TT Geometry, TT Algebra 2

I have been getting VERY mixed messages from homescholers IRL about math sequence. Some say its best to do Algebra 1, Algebra 2 then Geometry-- they says its best to keep going with Algebra while the brain is in 'Algebra mode'. Some say you NEED to do Algebra 1, Geometry, then Algebra 2 or else Algebra 2 won't make sense. So I want to get opinions here as well!

So what do you think is best? If it makes a difference we are using TT (the new updated 2.0 version) and we do math all year long, even on school breaks. Poll to follow! There will be no other choice because its a pretty straight forward question- if you have another choice please put it in the comments ;)

I am not familiar with TT, but I voted fro Alg 1, Alg 2, then Geometry, since that's what we will be doing. Does TT has a sequence recommendation?

In my high school, most students took Alg 1, Geometry, then Alg 2. But the honors track took Alg 1, Alg 2/Trig, then Geometry. The whole school used the same texts for the algebra classes, but the honors geometry used a more advanced text. I am thinking it depends on the specific program whether the Alg 2 needs the geometry or the geometry needs the alg 2. so I'm not much help I guess. Sorry.

I am not familiar with TT, but I voted fro Alg 1, Alg 2, then Geometry, since that's what we will be doing. Does TT has a sequence recommendation?

In my high school, most students took Alg 1, Geometry, then Alg 2. But the honors track took Alg 1, Alg 2/Trig, then Geometry. The whole school used the same texts for the algebra classes, but the honors geometry used a more advanced text. I am thinking it depends on the specific program whether the Alg 2 needs the geometry or the geometry needs the alg 2. so I'm not much help I guess. Sorry.

I am going to email and ask them about the recommended order. If it is listed on the website in the recommended order it would be Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry then Pre-Calc.

What is the difference between trig and pre-calc??

I've never used TT so I can't comment on that specifically. I'm just thinking back when I was in high school, the smarter kids who took algebra I in 8th grade, took algebra II in 9th and geometry in 10th. The kids on the normal math track took algebra I in 9th, geometry in 10th, and algebra II in 11th. My dd goes to public high school and she did algebra I in 8th, and then geometry in 9th and algebra II in 10th. I'm thinking that unless the curriculum is written to be used in a specific order, it probably doesn't matter. Does TT recommend an order for the classes? The only other concern I can think of is when it comes time to take the SAT or ACT, you want to make sure you've covered the appropriate math.

Geometry and Algebra 2 are on the same level. They both require Algebra 1 as a prerequisite, but neither is a prerequisite for the other.

ETA: I took both at the same time and so have many other students.

:iagree:

Honestly, I don't think either order is superior to the other. My personal preference is to do Algebra 2 and Geometry at the same time. But I don't for a second believe that that's going to be the best sequence for every family.

Do what works for you. It really won't matter very much in the end.

FWIW, I didn't vote. I know you just want us to pick one or the other, but it really might be helpful to add an extra option or two (such as "Geometry and Algebra 2 at the same time", or "Other").

Algebra 1 needs to be done first. I usually recommend Geometry next, and then Algebra 2, especially if the student is going to go on and take Pre-Calc or Trig or whatever they call it where you are.

Neither Geometry nor Algebra 2 "needs" the other as a pre-req.

The danger in doing Algebra 2 before Geometry is that when the student goes on to take Pre-Calc or Trig, it will have been a very long time since he has used the higher Algebra skills, even if you do school year-round.

All Geometry programs I've seen (including TT) require the student to work with Algebra, so he won't be totally lost when it's time to start Algebra 2.

Another factor is the age of the student and when he will be taking the SAT or ACT. Both of those tests assume the student has had Geometry.

HTH

Students who work Geometry after Algebra 2 are at a GREAT DISADVANTAGE when they take Pre-Calc because Geometry (even honors Geometry) only requires BASIC Algebra 1 skills... no review of Algebra 2..

Pre-Calc texts jump right on in-- do not expect ANY review!!!

I am going to email and ask them about the recommended order. If it is listed on the website in the recommended order it would be Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry then Pre-Calc.

What is the difference between trig and pre-calc??

That's a really good question. I just found the teacher's manual for my old Houghton Mifflin Precalc book (Dolciani series, but she didn't author this one) and it came in the mail a few days ago, so I was glancing through it. It has a list of possible options for using the text:

A. Basic 1-year course for students with little or no trig or coordinate geometry.

B. Basic 1-year course for students with some trig and coordinate geometry.

C1. Semester course in analytic geometry and trig.

C2. Quarter course in trig.

D1. Semester course in advanced mathematics and introductory calculus for students who have studied analytic geometry and trig, but not trig addition formulas (Chapter 9).

D2. Quarter course in advanced precalculus ideas.

E. Semester course in elementary functions.

Since I had analytic geometry and some trig along with Alg 2, I assume we were using it as D1/D2, but we did spend my whole junior year on this book; then we did calculus my senior year.

I just found my high school first semester syllabus in the book. We reviewed a lot the first quarter. Besides the Trig and Intro to Calculus sections, there is a good bit of statistics, probability, and number theory: complex numbers, sequences and series, vectors, determinants, matrices...

I still have a few years till mine get that far, but I'm drooling already.

Students who work Geometry after Algebra 2 are at a GREAT DISADVANTAGE when they take Pre-Calc because Geometry (even honors Geometry) only requires BASIC Algebra 1 skills... no review of Algebra 2..

Pre-Calc texts jump right on in-- do not expect ANY review!!!

You posted while I was typing. I guess that explains why we reviewed a good bit the first quarter in precalc. But I remember thinking precalc was really easy. It was one of my favorite courses in high school (second to geometry because I loved the proofs), so I really didn't struggle with getting the concepts even after a year off from alg 2/trig.

What is the difference between coordinate geometry and analytic geometry? I assumed analytic required what was taught in alg 2/trig and that's why the school did it in that order.

I want to know too. I did not get a sense from any of the posts what the difference was. Maybe I missed it. I did math so differently when I was in high school. I remember taking Algebra in 8th grade and Geometry in 9th grade. I remember taking Calculus in 12th grade, but I don't remember what I did for 11th grade. I never remember Algebra 1 and 2 in high school. Is Algebra 2 actually another math that is being called Algebra 2.

So, what is trig and pre-calc the same or is there a difference?

Thank you so much for those who answer!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I think it's best to do Geometry in between Algebra I and Algebra II or do Geometry and Algebra II at the same time. If you are running them concurrently, you can still do them over two years by working on them on alternate days or alternate weeks or alternate chapters.

The reason why many programs put geometry in the middle is to allow for another year of maturity before moving on in algebra.