Menu

(crosspost) Classical Writing Tutorials

We used the Aesop/Homer tutorial, and it is excellent, especially for older students, who need to get through the material in Aesop and Homer and move into CW Maxim. The online lectures are geared towards the teacher. Other than buying the Homer core text, everything you need for the course is included.

I paid for CW Maxim - @ $100 I'm a little frustrated I don't have CDs I can use for the next few children. :(

I plan on DOING the courses MYSELF and have Ana do them as well. I thought that it would be useful for ME to do the courses so that I have the reassurance of teaching the upper levels myself. Unfortunately I have no reviews for you yet... Ask me again in four months!

You can save the online lectures and student workbooks for future use. Also, the Aesop/Homer tutorial was effective for our situation; i.e. condensing the material from Aesop/Homer for an older student. However, Maxim has been so easy to teach with the student workbook that we don't need a tutorial.

Edited by 1Togo

Have any of you used the Classical Writing Tutorials? I'm considering signing up for the Aesop/Homer Accelerated course. $50 isn't cheap though, so I'd like to hear some positives.

My 16 year old ds will start week three of the tutorial on Monday. I think it is great and it is keeping him on task! We slow it down when necessary as these skills are foundational and will help him tremendously throughout his academic life.

What are the computer requirements for this course? Are the tutorials downloaded and then listened to (similar to itunes) or are they streamed?

We have limited upload speed, which really affects streaming (thank you, Hughes satellite dish, grrrr.)

Curious! (and thanks, JM for posting about this)

You can save the online lectures and student workbooks for future use. Also, the Aesop/Homer tutorial was effective for our situation; i.e. condensing the material from Aesop/Homer for an older student. However, Maxim has been so easy to teach with the student workbook that we don't need a tutorial.

:iagree: After the torture of Homer Maxim is a breeze.

Parrothead, our daughter and I got a laugh out of this because we're so weird that we actually enjoyed Homer. However, I do agree that the layout of Maxim is much better. Like you, we are breezing it and will be moving into Chreia early summer. Then, we've got to wrestle with Herodotus in the fall. Why couldn't I just be satisfied with X, Y and Z?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Maxim and Chreia acclerated tutorial, and it's like the Aesop/Homer tutorial in that it does an excellent job condensing the material for students who are ready to move into Herodotus. If your student has some experience with essays and is a fairly confident writer, then it should work well. It moves quickly.