Menu

Is there a history curriculum out there that teaches bible without religous overtunes

I know that sounds like an oxymoron but does such a curriculum exists? I want to study bible history along side ancient history next year but everything that I've come across seems to have religous opinions in it.

I have asked a question like this in the past.

The answer I pretty much got was, no.

We found one.

Secular Bible History

It's scheduled out for you and has tests and quizzes, if you want them. We used it in conjunction with the Chronological Study Bible, which has passages alongside the text to show the historical significance of different people/places. (there's a guide to go with it, too, if you prefer) When there was an episode of Digging For The Truth that fit in we used that as well.

We found one.

Secular Bible History

It's scheduled out for you and has tests and quizzes, if you want them. We used it in conjunction with the Chronological Study Bible, which has passages alongside the text to show the historical significance of different people/places. (there's a guide to go with it, too, if you prefer) When there was an episode of Digging For The Truth that fit in we used that as well.

What ages did you use this with? I'm wondering if it would be to difficult for ages 11 and 12?

Check out this link; you might find something that is suitable.

Good Luck.

Rene

Off to check this out. thanks!

What ages did you use this with? I'm wondering if it would be to difficult for ages 11 and 12?

6th and 7th grade - 12/13. We took it slow, skipped some (like we spent part of a day reading the historical blurb about the 'begats' in Genesis, and moved on).

If you try to do it every day it'll take a year. We did about twice a week, spending more time on integrating it into a study on world religions and how they compare.

We found one.

Secular Bible History

It's scheduled out for you and has tests and quizzes, if you want them.

I printed all the pages last summer for myself and my boys with the intention of working through it together as we studied Ancient History. We became bogged down with all the fill in the blanks. Read a chapter, then regurgitate it. Not for us. No an answer key either. Not that I needed one, but I couldn't discern exactly what direction the author intended the study to go in a few places. Some sort of teacher's guide would be very helpful.

JMO,

Teresa

I would get the Bible for Dummies book and read it along with the Bible. At the end you will know what is in the Bible without religious teachings. I like the Narrated Bible in Chronological Order too.

We found one.

Secular Bible History

I printed all the pages last summer for myself and my boys with the intention of working through it together as we studied Ancient History. We became bogged down with all the fill in the blanks. Read a chapter, then regurgitate it. Not for us. No an answer key either. Not that I needed one, but I couldn't discern exactly what direction the author intended the study to go in a few places. Some sort of teacher's guide would be very helpful.

JMO,

Teresa

What age or grade range would you say it was meant for?

Not a curriculum, but we've found DK Illustrated Family Bible very helpful and even-handed when we want to look up a bible story or character referenced in our other reading. I understand the production team included religious scholars from several different faiths. It also includes other useful bits of information on common interpretations, historical context, and archeology.

Honestly, I don't know what I see the bible as. I just know I want my dc to learn the history that's in the bible without having someone else's interpretations in it. I don't want my dc indoctrinated.

Does that make any sense?

First you would have to realize that the history you would find in the Bible is tangled up with myth and legend and a lot of religious politics. There actually is a lot that you could study based on the Bible.... history, science, geography, literature, poetics, linguistics, morality/ethics, philosophy, ancient culture, mythology. And then there's the impact this book has had on other areas in art and music, politics and culture, literature and ethics up to the present. And then there's all the extra challenges of translations, Biblical sources such as the Apocrypha and Gnostic texts as well as others. And even studying the various debates about the historicity of certain events, people or geography is really interesting too. It's enough to make your head spin. And if you wanted to then tread into the waters of the wide range of religious traditions and specific interpretations of each---it's really a big undertaking.

Honestly it would take even a secular scholar of this area a lifetime to untangle it all.

I studied psychology and comparative religious studies in college and my opinion is that all texts have had the same far reaching historical impacts, although the Bible seems to be at the top of the heap. Not for theology imo but definitely for influence both positive and negative. And although I am not a Christian I have the utmost respect for this book. I've looked at this site before( link below).It's geared toward high school students. And is more focused on Bible as literature than history, which is honestly the easiest way to approach it. But if you're not sure what you want from Bible added to your curriculum then I would work on self-education first before presenting it to your children.

http://www.bibleliteracy.org/site/Curriculum/index.htm

Edited by Walking-Iris
I can't spell this late at night...

• 1 month later...