Menu

Am I crazy for thinking I might combine

tuzor

Well if you can do both of those together in 10 minutes a day, sure. That's all the grammar we've ever done over the years. Short potent lessons, especially with the pencil phobic.

He's only 7, hehe. Add some PE time into your day instead of more grammar. :)

Because I'm crazy and feeling insecure about the change. We used CLE this year and though it was fine I think I would like to see how ds fairs with a mastery approach. I ordered R&S but am feeling nervous and want to have CLE here just in case. See I told you it was craziness.

Well R&S was pretty strongly hated in our house. (No, we don't share the majority position of the board, haha.) Even if you like it, I would never ever change a child from perfectly fine option that is WORKING to something else that may or may not work. If your question is mastery, try it with something else, kwim? I would send the R&S back unopened, get your money back, and go back to the sanity of doing what was working. You change stuff when it's *not* working, not because you're curious. When you're curious and finding cool new things, that's the time you start planning the NEXT child's career.

Just my two cents, having btdt a little. :)

BTW, CLE is independent and R&S mom-driven. I wouldn't add that to your plate just as you're adding another student, not if it's not necessary. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

Pick one or the other. If R&S isn't a good fit, you can probably jump back into CLE at grade level, can't you? I know you can with most grammar programs. I don't know about CLE specifically.

Grammar is something that I don't have a problem "curriculum hopping" with, because most programs teach from the beginning every.single.year.

I do alternate grammar programs (right now it's KISS and R&S), but I wouldn't alternate CLE and R&S. That's a bit overkill of pretty much the same thing. Merge two programs that are different enough to complement each other. For example, I like the way the student has to write the exercises in R&S (but I only assign at most 4 sentences total in a day for my 2nd grader working in R&S 3). I like KISS for the use of real sentences from literature. It just doesn't involve writing and using the grammar very often (it has some, but it's down the road). So my son uses KISS to get those parts of speech down pat and solid. He really truly understands what they are and can find them in ANY sentence, not just a canned sentence made up for a grammar program with a specific pattern. ;)

Let him try R&S. If it doesn't work, THEN order CLE. Don't spend money on the same level of the same subject "just in case".

This is what I was thinking.

Well R&S was pretty strongly hated in our house. (No, we don't share the majority position of the board, haha.) Even if you like it, I would never ever change a child from perfectly fine option that is WORKING to something else that may or may not work. If your question is mastery, try it with something else, kwim? I would send the R&S back unopened, get your money back, and go back to the sanity of doing what was working. You change stuff when it's *not* working, not because you're curious. When you're curious and finding cool new things, that's the time you start planning the NEXT child's career.

Just my two cents, having btdt a little. :)

BTW, CLE is independent and R&S mom-driven. I wouldn't add that to your plate just as you're adding another student, not if it's not necessary. :)

I so agree that I should not change if the resource is working for the child. But I did open R&S already:glare:. In our house I like to teach the concept first and then let the child complete the work. With CLE if I only teach the new concept there are other things in the TM that I miss because I let the child do the work independently. This would not be the cas with R&S becaus of how the TM is laid out. I find myself having to come alongside him with LA, a lot. However he is only in first grade I don't expect him to do everything solo.

Pick one or the other. If R&S isn't a good fit, you can probably jump back into CLE at grade level, can't you? I know you can with most grammar programs. I don't know about CLE specifically.

Grammar is something that I don't have a problem "curriculum hopping" with, because most programs teach from the beginning every.single.year.

I do alternate grammar programs (right now it's KISS and R&S), but I wouldn't alternate CLE and R&S. That's a bit overkill of pretty much the same thing. Merge two programs that are different enough to complement each other. For example, I like the way the student has to write the exercises in R&S (but I only assign at most 4 sentences total in a day for my 2nd grader working in R&S 3). I like KISS for the use of real sentences from literature. It just doesn't involve writing and using the grammar very often (it has some, but it's down the road). So my son uses KISS to get those parts of speech down pat and solid. He really truly understands what they are and can find them in ANY sentence, not just a canned sentence made up for a grammar program with a specific pattern. ;)

I think I should be able to pick up CLE in the event that R&S does not work out.