Menu

Best math for the summer?

ukfan78

My son will be finished with TT6 next Friday. I am looking for something to use during the summer months for reinforcement of fractions and decimals (along with multiplication and division). I will be using it June-August, but only a few days a week. I was thinking about Life of Fred or the Key to Series. What would be my best option?

I think the Keys to series is best for remediation, and Life of Fred is best for enrichment. My older daughter loves LOF and thinks that the keys to series involves a gentle persistent hammering of math into her brain. On the other hand, I've had very good success with it with remedial high school students.

I don't really want something repetitious, which is why I was thinking Life of Fred. He does great with fractions and decimals right now and completely understands them. I just don't want him to forget what he has been learning while we take a break. He will be starting 6th grade in August. I also thought about just printing some problems for him to work on every few days.

I vote Life of Fred too. That's what my DS will be reading over the summer.

BTW - I bought Fractions for him to do over the summer (he'll be starting 5th grade in the fall and is pretty advanced in math, so I thought it would be a good fit even though he has done every single thing in the Fractions book yet). But I also decided to buy a few of the Elementary books to see if my DD (entering 3rd grade) would like them. Turns out they BOTH love them and have re-read them several times. I'm probably going to buy a few more of the elementary series if I see them at our homeschool convention in a couple weeks.

Anything "fun" that keeps them thinking about math, even if it's "easy," is fine with me for summer work.

I don't really want something repetitious, which is why I was thinking Life of Fred. He does great with fractions and decimals right now and completely understands them. I just don't want him to forget what he has been learning while we take a break. He will be starting 6th grade in August. I also thought about just printing some problems for him to work on every few days.

Yes, this. We just finished the Fractions chapter, and are about to finish the Decimals chapter in MM. Miss P is going to work through LOF Fractions (and maybe Decimals if she gets to it) through the summer, and I think this will help reinforce and extend what she's learned, and keep it fresh for when we start MM 5 in August.

Why screw around with another curriculum? Just keep right on going with TT. They're going to keep going with them over and over and over and over (see my head rolling with that) well into the pre-algebra. Just keep going. If you're not wanting to get way ahead, you won't at only a couple days a week. It will be just enough and continue what's already working. If it's not working, that's another story.

Why screw around with another curriculum? Just keep right on going with TT. They're going to keep going with them over and over and over and over (see my head rolling with that) well into the pre-algebra. Just keep going. If you're not wanting to get way ahead, you won't at only a couple days a week. It will be just enough and continue what's already working. If it's not working, that's another story.

:iagree:Unless you feel the need for a lot of review, just keep going with the next level in your curriculum. We do math year round and move on to the next level whenever we complete one, regardless of the month.

:iagree:Unless you feel the need for a lot of review, just keep going with the next level in your curriculum. We do math year round and move on to the next level whenever we complete one, regardless of the month.

:iagree::iagree:

Exactly what I was going to say.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am considering starting TT7 instead of review. I was just thinking something different for a couple of months might be interesting. We really like TT and will continue to use it for math. I was thinking that doing TT only 2 days a week wouldn't work since new stuff will be introduced, but I bet the first part is all review anyway. And it would put me off schedule with him finishing TT7 before the year is over ( next May). We prefer to take a break during the summer. He does the summer reading programs and math. I will have to look at TT7 and see what the first couple chapters covers. I do think he will like LoF though and it won't feel so much like school.