Menu

stolen innocence, polygamy, sects, cults

I've always been very interested in sects and cults, how brainwashing occurs in smaller groups and the larger society in general. It's been years since I've read in this area and the other day, after following the FDLS polygamy raid, I saw the book Stolen Innocence on the New shelf at the library. I couldn't resist it and I have to say it was fun reading a book that didn't require a lot of thought :001_huh:

Have any of you read the book or followed what's happened after the raid? Anyone else interested in the history and events surrounding the development of sects and cults? I'm using the words by their proper definition in terms of size and mainstream religion and not trying to "put down" any particular group by using those terms.

I read the book, and have followed the information about it as much as I can - Brooke Adams on the Salt Lake Tribune has a blog about polygamy and she posts as things come up - she is very very sympathetic to the FLDS, which is a side I don't see a lot elsewhere.

I don't know why I have this fascination with FLDS, Amish, Hutterite, etc... because they are different? At this point in each of those histories, it is so little about what they were thinking and more about being raised in an alternate culture (very little conversion, almost all born into it).

I live in an area in which there are two Christian sects that used to be considered "cults" but have somehow morphed into "mainstream" over the last 30 years or so, and now have "cults" or splinter groups of their own. My mom was always interested in learning about them, not in order to follow their tenets, but just curiosity... and I think I got her genes.

Maybe I'm most interested in those who choose to leave... that takes a LOT of fight, strength, belief in something else to overcome a whole lifetime of enculturation.

I grew up near near the main compound of a cult (members live throughout the country, but they have one main central headquarters.) The people we bought our house from there has actually left to join the cult. And, years later and miles away, a woman tried to recruit us into the cult, but luckily I recognized the name of the town she told me she had moved from and recognized the recruitment method (in-home Bible studies.)

I have to admit all I know of the FLDS situation is the media coverage, for what that is worth (nothing...) What relationship to the situation does the author have? It sound interesting.

I have to admit all I know of the FLDS situation is the media coverage, for what that is worth (nothing...) What relationship to the situation does the author have? It sound interesting.

The author of the book "Stolen Lives," Elissa Wall, grew up in the FLDS in Salt Lake City and the Short Creek area of Arizona/Utah. At 14 she was forced to marry her first cousin. It was the trial of Warren Jeffs as an accomplice to her underage r@pe that finally landed him behind bars. The book is about her childhood, the time leading up to the marriage, and the effects of the marriage and the trial. It is a fascinating look inside.

Riverfront Headmistress said part of the fascination is loyalty of members... but the only books we get with "inside stories" are all former members. There is still that little piece of "why" missing in Jessop's and Wall's stories.

Sects and cults have always interested me as well. I haven't read that book but will look for it. I did pick up a fascinating text that summarized different cults of the past that I'd never heard of, including the Father Divine Movement and the Oneida Community. If you ever want an eye opener, read up on those cults (very freaky).

We have Amish around here and, to be honest, I sometime wish I could be one. I know it would be hard work, but life would be so much simpler without the distractions of the outside world (or so I think).

Browsing in one of my "Teaching Company" catalogs, I read an article about the appeal of extremely demanding religions. These are the groups that are growing while mainline Protestant churches (for example) are declining. Secular people look from the outside in and just cannot imagine why people would work so hard and give so much to their faith community.

The speaker cited the work of a philosopher of religion (whose name escapes me) who said that religions with high 'buy-in' costs are actually a logical choice. Not that this is part of the decision-making process of the members, you understand, just that there are very pragmatic reasons for joining (or staying in) a high-cost faith, besides the religious ones.

Help, for one. When you're in trouble, your faith community will swing into action to feed, clothe, nurse, and generally subsidize you, and offer you comfort. During the plague in London, William Penn, a wealthy son of a nobleman and admiral, watched as the Anglican clergy and wealthy fled the city while the Quakers stayed to nurse the sick, risking their own lives. It was impressive enough for him to eventually join the widely-despised group. The simplest kind of nursing care will increase survival rates of even horrible plagues by enormous percentages, so this kind of assistance can make huge differences in survival rates of communities in troubled times.

A sense of belonging is provided by a strong community. No need for us to belabor the misery caused by the lack of this in the wider culture.

Our little circle hug emoticon is one of the most used -- because it symbolizes what we want.

A shoulder to cry on, advice, comfort, and guidance. No small things, those.

Sects and cults have always interested me as well. I haven't read that book but will look for it. I did pick up a fascinating text that summarized different cults of the past that I'd never heard of, including the Father Divine Movement and the Oneida Community. If you ever want an eye opener, read up on those cults (very freaky).

We have Amish around here and, to be honest, I sometime wish I could be one. I know it would be hard work, but life would be so much simpler without the distractions of the outside world (or so I think).

LOL ! I had to laugh . Actually the Amish aren't really what they are cracked up to be . At least in our area . We live in a highly Amish /Mennonite area and living out in our area for 10 years we've learned they are VERY big hypocrites . They use the English ( us ) to their advantage so they don't have to pay for things . My mother in law has two Amish families that live on her road and they constantly 'use ' them whenever they can . They've racked up long distance calls on their phone ( even when she's asked them not to ) and not ever paid her for that , they try to ask for rides all of the time , and expect not to pay for the gas if they can get away from it . They've even walked into my mil's house when she wasn't HOME ! She now locks her door whenever she leaves .

We've even seen Amish buggies going down the road with radios rigged to them blaring country music out of them and see some with bumper stickers and fuzzy dice ( I kid you not ) .

The Amish family that lives at the end of their road must be a rouge Amish family . The children are mouthy and a few years ago were throwing stones at my mil's neighbor's children . They abuse their animals . Amish donot think of animals like the main stream public does and they are always getting sited for animal abuse . We see them riding ride on lawn mowers as well . We know there is a new sect of Amish called the New Order Amish where they do use some electrical stuff .

Also they don't think of their children like we do as well . They are not treated any better then their animals either . Nor are they thought of any better as if they lose a child they think " oh well . we'll have another one . " Not saying these families don't have good times . They do but there is ALOT not known to the English communities that you don't read in books or find online . They walk around with cell phones . I could go on .

Let me tell you after getting to know some of the Amish I do like their simplicity . I'm sure at the rate gas is going we'll go back to the horse and buggy . They save tons on electricity as most don't use it . And they don't go on vacations or go anywhere really like amusement parks and so on .

I don't like their beliefs. They are hypocrites in every sense of the word .

Some of the biggest, worst puppy millers are Amish. Our breed club rescued some stock from them (they were actually turned over to our rescue group when they found that BIG dogs were not selling as well as they thought they would.) The conditions of the dogs were deplorable. Sick, dirty, fearful of humans, the whole nine yards. Makes my blood boil. :mad:

I think it has something to do with trying to understand the mindset of the members and why they join.

Another good book to read is Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. It chronicles the the Mormon movement from the beginning and then goes into depth about the FLDS split up until present time. It was very enlightening!

He also wrote Into Thin Air about Mt. Everest (just to give context).

I've started watching the polygamy video, which also gives the history of the LDS. Obviously those (like Jimmy Carter) who think LDS should be considered just another Christian denomination don't know their history!