Menu

Salt dough or sugar cookie map...?

LunaLee

Am I crazy, wasn't this a project for SOTW? I though it was, but I can't find it anywhere. I think all the information I assimilated in my curriculum planning is all melding into a big pot of :confused:? Can someone please point me in the right direction.

I don't know if it is in SOTW, but it is in TOG. My family loves this project. Of course we prefer the cookie dough version, Yum, Yum! We molded our cookie dough into the shape of Africa. We used Red Licorice for rivers, blue frosting for bodies of water, green frosting for land. M&M's for cities. Maybe sprinkles for the desert. Hershey's kisses or chocolate chips for mountains. It was over two years ago that we did this, so it is a little fuzzy. We also did a 3D cell model using Jello and candy. Homeschooling is so fun!

Dorothy

Thanks everyone. I was starting to think I was losing it because I couldn't find it in the AG. :001_smile:

We also did a 3D cell model using Jello and candy. Homeschooling is so fun!

Dorothy

Ya, we are going to do the Cell-o Mold, too. DS is very excited, and today we are making Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Chocolate Bark and Incredible Edible Sculpting Clay. Hmmm...Notice a theme here?

Thanks everyone. I was starting to think I was losing it because I couldn't find it in the AG. :001_smile:

Ya, we are going to do the Cell-o Mold, too. DS is very excited, and today we are making Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Chocolate Bark and Incredible Edible Sculpting Clay. Hmmm...Notice a theme here?

Oh, please share where you got these recipes. We are looking for some fun summer ideas.

Dorothy

The year we did it in our co-op, we used a peanut butter clay for the country. I posted it on TOG years back, but they've changed the forum. We used green sprinkles for the prairie land, and cinnamon sugar for the desert. The rest was as Dorothy shared. We did the whole U.S., including 3 or so major rivers, and it was on a 9X13 cake cardboard. Some kid ate the whole thing before we left co-op!! :001_huh:

The year we did it in our co-op, we used a peanut butter clay for the country. I posted it on TOG years back, but they've changed the forum. We used green sprinkles for the prairie land, and cinnamon sugar for the desert. The rest was as Dorothy shared. We did the whole U.S., including 3 or so major rivers, and it was on a 9X13 cake cardboard. Some kid ate the whole thing before we left co-op!! :001_huh:

Actually, I think it was green sprinkles for prairie land and cinnamon sugar for the desert. Thanks for posting that way back, I did get it off of the old TOG activity list.

Dorothy

Ooooh, I'd love to see the recipe for the edible sculpting clay!

oooh, sugar cookie sounds good! But you're not crazy - there is one in SOTW 1 - on Italy, in the ancient rome section. We just did it last week and the kids LOVED it. We're in India now, and as soon as I read that there were mountains there, they were both begging to make a salt map of india :D:D:D

Okay, here's the recipe for Wonka's Incredible Edible Sculpting Dough:

12 oz. peanut butter

6tb honey

1/2-1 1/2 c. nonfat dry milk powder

Directions:

Combine all ingredients, add more dry milk if needed to keep it from being sticky.

This recipe is from the Vertias Press Comprehension Guide-I really love these guides-but, there is also a cookbook called Roald Dahls Revolting Recipes. It has recipes from all of Roald Dahls books and is illustrated by the gentlemam who did the illustrations for most of his books.

I was amazed at the cookbooks available that are tied into literature. At our library I saw one for The Secret Garden and one for Fairy Tales. That reminds me, I need to do a search for what other stories I can find cookbooks for.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the help.

Okay, here's the recipe for Wonka's Incredible Edible Sculpting Dough:

12 oz. peanut butter

6tb honey

1/2-1 1/2 c. nonfat dry milk powder

Directions:

Combine all ingredients, add more dry milk if needed to keep it from being sticky.

This recipe is from the Vertias Press Comprehension Guide-I really love these guides-but, there is also a cookbook called Roald Dahls Revolting Recipes. It has recipes from all of Roald Dahls books and is illustrated by the gentlemam who did the illustrations for most of his books.

I was amazed at the cookbooks available that are tied into literature. At our library I saw one for The Secret Garden and one for Fairy Tales. That reminds me, I need to do a search for what other stories I can find cookbooks for.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the help.

Thank you!