Menu

The Story Of Science...

This series by Hakim is wonderful!

Dd9 is thoroughly enjoying the first book. We just received the set from Amazon and I'm reading through them also. We will read them together, take our time and keep it light and enjoyable. I will consider it an add-on to our regular science.

I'm trying to increase dd's non-fiction reading. She is a fiction hound. This, along w/ HO and others, should do the trick.

I just ordered the $8 Student's Quest for the first 2 books -- but I'll skip the Teacher's Quest for now.

Anyone else have experience with these books? Thoughts?

:bigear:

I don't know about the Student's or Teacher's Quest books, but DS also has very much enjoyed the first book in The Story of Science. He's also loving The Magic of Reality, another book I might not have bought if not for this site. They're both gorgeously made, in addition to being well written. I think National Geographic has done a wonderful job with their modern book lines.

I don't know about the Student's or Teacher's Quest books, but DS also has very much enjoyed the first book in The Story of Science. He's also loving The Magic of Reality, another book I might not have bought if not for this site. They're both gorgeously made, in addition to being well written. I think National Geographic has done a wonderful job with their modern book lines.

Who's the author for The Magic of Reality? I've just wish listed the all 3 of The Story of Science :D

I really like the part of the first book that covers ancient times but I have a *HUGE* problem with Ms. Hakim's very misleading portrayal of medieval times. She shows a major anti-Christian bias and puts forth the debunked story of St. Cyril having the Library of Alexandria burned because it fits her personal agenda. :glare:

I have refused to purchase the rest of the series because I'm sure her treatment of the Church during the Renaissance era is similarly biased.

We enjoy the text very much. Hakim expresses a lot of opinion and adds personal comments, but we recognize that as different from the factual parts of the text. We often discuss that we don't know people's motives and that one person's view of history is only one view.

We have the Student Quest. Some chapters are interesting and helpful to cement what they just heard/read. Others seem like busywork to me.

I really like the part of the first book that covers ancient times but I have a *HUGE* problem with Ms. Hakim's very misleading portrayal of medieval times. She shows a major anti-Christian bias and puts forth the debunked story of St. Cyril having the Library of Alexandria burned because it fits her personal agenda. :glare:

I have refused to purchase the rest of the series because I'm sure her treatment of the Church during the Renaissance era is similarly biased.

I've wondered a little about this, as I've seen similar comments. I have no problem with secular science, but I take issue with church bashing if that's what it's doing.

I am glad for the good review of the books, though. They do look like they cover a lot of material and I think we'd enjoy that.

I have a problem with the word "bias" because the Church did not promote scientific understanding. If a scientist is in danger of being burned alive for his findings because they go against the Church's teachings, how can one discuss science history without criticizing the position of the Church?

It took the Church over 350 years to rehabilitate Galileo who was right after all.

Edited by regentrude

I have a problem with the word "bias" because the Church did not promote scientific understanding. If a scientist is in danger of being burned alive for his findings because they go against the Church's teachings, how can one discuss science history without criticizing the position of the Church?

It took the Church over 350 years to rehabilitate Galileo who was right after all.

One can criticize particular actions of specific members of the Church hierarchy without making sweeping generalizations and stating opinions as "facts". A historian should also not put forth a story as true that has been thoroughly debunked simply because it suits her own personal agenda (as Ms. Hakim did in the first volume). :glare:

I am planning to use this book next year with my fourth grader. But I read a review that math is the highlight of the book and the kid should have a solid sixth grade math to enjoy and understand the books.

is that the case? Is it really for sixth grader and up or could anyone do it?

Thanks

I am planning to use this book next year with my fourth grader. But I read a review that math is the highlight of the book and the kid should have a solid sixth grade math to enjoy and understand the books.

Thanks

I agree that the books are most valuable with at least a basic pre algebra foundation in math. They can be enjoyed and appreciated without that foundation, but you will just miss some significant things. I have had kids as young as eight really enjoy hearing them read aloud, but I think science time at that age would be best spent more hands on if possible.

I love these brisk and have previously posted a good bit about how I used them with the quest guides, but I think they are ideal for typical middle schoolers or older. I will wait a couple more years to begin them with my youngest, even though she already has the math she needs. I just think she will get more out of them a bit later. They are perfectly appropriate for adult reading as well.

Thanks

I agree that the books are most valuable with at least a basic pre algebra foundation in math. They can be enjoyed and appreciated without that foundation, but you will just miss some significant things. I have had kids as young as eight really enjoy hearing them read aloud, but I think science time at that age would be best spent more hands on if possible.

I love these books and have previously posted a good bit about how I used them with the quest guides, but I think they are ideal for typical middle schoolers or older. I will wait a couple more years to begin them with my youngest, even though she already has the math she needs. I just think she will get more out of them a bit later. They are perfectly appropriate for adult reading as well.

What age level do you think will be able to understand these books? I can't tell from the Amazon review whether an 8 yr old would enjoy them. Any advice?

You can see a sample chapter on this website...

http://www.joyhakim.com/

What is weird is my library has the second and third book in the series, and not the first. :confused: I did ask them to order the first, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.