Menu

Which Shakespeare to read next?

Which Shakespeare to read next??  

1. 1. Which Shakespeare to read next??

• Much Ado About Nothing
    • Romeo and Juliet
    • Henry IV
    • something else (please mention what!) :)

Choosing for our book club for next year and having a hard time deciding! The kids are between ages of 9-14.

They have, together, through past years, read:

Macbeth

The Merchant of Venice

A Midsummer Night's Dream

My kids have read The Twelfth Night multiple times, so while we love this one, we'd probably rather read something else, lol.

So... trying to narrow it down. :) Many of these kids will be covering Medieval/Renaissance history next year.

Current possibilities are:

Much Ado About Nothing

Henry IV

Romeo and Juliet (most of the kids have seen/read some version of R&J before, but not recently, and not discussed it in depth)

Open to any suggestions, though, because I'm drawing a blank. They're all sounding like equally wonderful and equally poor choices. :gnorsi:

edited to add for context: My kids (and many of the kids in the group) will wind up reading much (most?) of Shakespeare before they've finished high school, so not reading it this year will just mean we'll get to it in a future year. Also, the group will be reading books like King Arthur, Beowulf, Arabian Nights, Robin Hood, Canterbury Tales, and others along those lines this year. It's also possible that they'll cover two Shakespeare plays (one at the tail end of the year).

Edited by orangearrow

Our Shakespeare group this year has done:

Much Ado About Nothing

Macbeth

The Taming of the Shrew

Henry V

Hamlet

The Tempest

Romeo & Juliet

A Midsummer Night's Dream

They enjoyed Much Ado (play and movie)because it happened to be one that they were already familiar with the movie. We had some lively discussions about Benedick and Beatrice, as well as Dogberry :D

Macbeth was a favorite read, but you've done it already.

Hamlet with David Tennant was their favorite movie hands down, but a difficult read for some.

We just had our Romeo & Juliet discussion/activity this past Wednesday. Though the boys in the group stated that they didn't like it, they DID say it was one of the easiest reads of the year. We had plenty of lively discussion with it as well! Most of us watched the Romeo + Juliet movie (PG-13) and so we had some compare and contrast with the movie, as well as with the other tragedies we had done this year.

So I guess from your list I would vote Much Ado or R&J.