Menu

Book share or learning ally?

I've only used Learning Ally. It uses real people to read...sometimes they are good to excellent readers, but not always.. Sometimes it will change readers midstream, which can be disconcerting.

The other has computer voice, for better or worse, all the time. I don't use the latter because it does not come in a form that I can use via rural dial-up--the needed downloading doesn't work. Learning Ally can send out disks.

ds uses both due to the non-overlapping content. However, ds prefers bookshare because he can increase the reading speed (he likes to hear things crazy fast) and also because he finds the human readers somewhat variable in quality from LearningAlly.

After we got bookshare, he read 72 books for pleasure in 10 months using both text-to-speech when he got tired of reading alone.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait, I am trying to figure this out. Is Bookshare computerized voice only then?

Our psychologist recommended Learning Ally and we are signing up, but she didn't mention Bookshare and I am wondering if we qualify. If you qualify for LA do you automatically qualify for BS? I looked at the BS website and his disability is non-identified, so I am not sure if he is specific enough.

Dawn

The text is electronic text. You can use different applications to view and have the computer read it to you. You can use the bookshare app on the iPad, ReadOut on your computer (software that is a freely variable with your account), or on a Kindle, which is what ds does (and requires some tech know-how)

Wanted to add that if you qualify for Learning Ally, you probably also qualify for National Library Service if you are in United States. NLS has wonderful real human readers (I think they may be actors or something? They are often as good as on purchased books on CD.) It doesn't have much in the way of textbooks, but is great for literature, and it has some magazines like Spider, Cricket, and Nat Geo. (both kids and adults) available.

• 1 month later...
Wanted to add that if you qualify for Learning Ally, you probably also qualify for National Library Service if you are in United States. NLS has wonderful real human readers (I think they may be actors or something? They are often as good as on purchased books on CD.) It doesn't have much in the way of textbooks, but is great for literature, and it has some magazines like Spider, Cricket, and Nat Geo. (both kids and adults) available.

I'm perusing old threads in search for stuff. I saw this post and wanted to bump it. I didn't know about this. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody gotten Book Share to approve a pre-K student? I looked on their website and they said that if the preschool is part of a special ed SELPA then students can qualify.

Youngest DD obviously isn't old enough to read yet, but she is definitely quite delayed in her pre-literacy compared to typical kids of the same chronological age. The school psychologist at her school is super-nice and I was planning to ask her if she would sign off on the paperwork.

I haven't, but I would definitely consider whether the digitized voice would be best for her anyway. Ds doesn't like it at all because it is so robotic, and he much prefers a human audiobook. I know they are all working on improving this technology, but right now, I don't know any young kids that like listening to the computerized voices. Siri is the best so far, and that one is not available on Bookshare (although there might be some way to rig it on my phone). Especially with autism spectrum diagnoses, I wonder if audiobooks from Learning Ally or the library wouldn't be a better choice with regards to hearing and learning the proper inflection and punctuation for literacy.

Thank you for bumping this thread! I had signed my kids up for Learning Ally when it was Reading for the Blind and Dyslexic and FREE.

I thought I had to have a CSE and have Bookshare put on dd's IEP in order to get the school to download it on her laptop.

But now I know I can get it without involving the school! :hurray:

I faxed the disability verification form to the neuropsych to fill out and we should have Bookshare shortly!

Currently Bookshare is free and Learning Ally is $99/year. I think I read somewhere that which one is free flip-flops depending on which gets a government grant.

I signed my daughter up for Bookshare this spirng since it was free. She doesn't like the digital voice very much. This summer we got a year membership for Learning Ally and she loves it. She listens to school books as well as fun books on it daily. Bookshare now has an app so the books can be downloaded directly to my ipad and then carried around easily.