Menu

Math thoughts... wwyd?

LMD

]i everyone, looking for some perspectives on math for my 2nd grade DD. She is not gifted, but accelerated (she would be 1st grade at school & is finishing up singapore 2B atm). We both really like singapore and she is thriving.

We also use Miquon, Beast academy (when she asks) & recently I've been letting her play with khan academy. We also do living math books'.

Now, we've hit a little bit of a financial strain atm, and of course singapore 3A was the only one missing when I got a great bargain on singapore textbooks :lol:. I've been toying with the idea of going with MEP for a semester instead - the fact that MEP has interactive online from Y3 is a plus. I would still continue with Miquon & make Beast Academy more required, and probably add the IP/CWP books.

My worry is that MEP (being spiral) will not cover the same things singapore 3A does, and thus DD will be under-prepared when we come back to singapore for 3B. I am reluctant to jump around too much, especially with math, and would rather just stick to one spine. However I won't lie - I really do like MEP too, I would be happy to use it, and part of me would enjoy the change for a semester...

soooo, wwyd? Suck up and manage the cost to continue with singapore (do-able) or take a worry free MEP detour?

3A covers some pretty important topics (multi-digit multiplication and long division) so I wouldn't skip it entirely. A lot of 3B can be done without 3A since they are measurement topics. I would start those chapters in 3B and then save up for 3A.

My oldest did 3A/B out of order because she didn't have her times tables memorized when she started 3A. I skipped the chapters on multiplication & division and did them last.

]soooo, wwyd? Suck up and manage the cost to continue with singapore (do-able) or take a worry free MEP detour?
I love MEP, but there's not enough overlap in the single term to meet your needs. MEP 3A has only a brief review of the times tables and no pencil and paper algorithms for multiplication (it's all done mentally, using the distributive property until y3b). The big focus on y3a other than introducing vertical addition (already covered in Singapore, IIRC) is rounding and estimation.

You would do far better to purchase a few units from the Math Mammoth Blue series. The subtopics line up nicely with the Singapore S&S.

3A covers some pretty important topics (multi-digit multiplication and long division) so I wouldn't skip it entirely.
Are you sure? The S&S at Singaporemath.com shows 2-digit multiplication as being introduced in 4A.

Are you sure? The S&S at Singaporemath.com shows 2-digit multiplication as being introduced in 4A.

Sorry to be unclear- 3A covers multiplication of a 3 digit number by a one digit number. I consider that to be multi-digit multiplication because it requires the algorithm rather than just the times tables but I can see where that is an ambiguously worded statement.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone, I knew you guys would think of something!

AK_Mom4 & Crimson Wife - It didn't occur to me to do A/B out of order! That may work... I'll have a close look at B.

MomatHWTK - Thanks for this suggestion - quite a good option, will look into it closer!

nmoira -

but there's not enough overlap in the single term to meet your needs.
This was my worry, I know that MEP is spiral and likely wouldn't cover the topics fully in only a semester. Sigh, and I thought I'd found an excuse to use another curriculum :tongue_smilie: I'll have a look into MM, thanks for the suggestion.

Julie of KY - I'm not 100% about Beast Academy at this stage. I would love to continue with it, but I don't think we'll be able to order them as they come out, more likely we'll wait until there are a few levels and do a big order as their shipping to Aus. is pretty tough to swallow! I will keep it in mind though...

My main worry is jumping around too much, we'll definately be back to singapore for 3B onwards, but I don't want to mess DD around too much in between...

I'll have a look into MM, thanks for the suggestion.

You may want to do the blue topic books if you use MM for this. MM doesn't line up well with Singapore at that stage. In the grade level light blue books, MM does long division in 4B. We switched from MM to Singapore after doing the long division part of 4B, then moved to Singapore 4A and just skipped some redundant stuff. At grade 3, their scope and sequence was wildly different.

I love MEP, but there's not enough overlap in the single term to meet your needs. MEP 3A has only a brief review of the times tables and no pencil and paper algorithms for multiplication (it's all done mentally, using the distributive property until y3b).

What about the multiplication in y2? it's similar to beast academy's presentation. But why would you need any of these things if you have beast academy already? Why not use what you've got already? I don't see why you'd need something else. Beast academy covers multiplication.

What about the multiplication in y2? it's similar to beast academy's presentation. But why would you need any of these things if you have beast academy already? Why not use what you've got already? I don't see why you'd need something else. Beast academy covers multiplication.

ok, I keep forgetting that Beast Academy is a great whole program, since we use it as a supplement, and because I'm unsure about being able to get my hands on further levels. But you're right, I could put it away for now and use it for the first part of 3rd grade, this is probably the easiest way to go...