Menu

What are you most excited about for next year?

TOG year 1 with Classical Conversations memory work. I'm really excited to go back to TOG after a year of "what was I thinking". Ds will be taking a TOG online course also and I really think it will help pull him to the next level of dialectic discussion.

Beth

I've worked really hard on developing our plan for this next year and I am so excited that as book and supply boxes have been arriving my boys have asked again and again "can we start it right now????" :D We are done with school for this year (new baby due any day now, so we worked to finish early) so in their minds they should be able to just pick up and go with the new material. They don't understand why Mama might possibly need to take May and June off.

Curriculum wise I'm most excited about our science book list and plans for this year, but it's all looking pretty good. :)

I'm very excited to be starting American History. We bought the old Sonlight Cores D & E before they changed over, so we will spend the next two years immersed in it. We live on the east coast and will have the chance to visit tons of historical sites. I'm also tweaking the way we do artist studies and composer studies and we'll be focusing just on American artists and composers. I'm so excited!

All of our new curricula has me excited: TOG with SOTW, Elemental Science, Telling God's Story, Song School Latin, and choosing our own read-alouds. I'll also be glad to be done reviewing phonics. ODS went through phonics instruction so fast and early that I've felt the need to review.

I'm excited because nearly everything is going to be brand new next year. :D We'll stay with SequentialSpelling and Easy Grammar, HWT cursive and SOTW, but we're doing a lot of new stuff. (Oak Meadow, Saxon, WWE.)

I'm also really excited about pushing arts and music to a higher priority (HFA and Drawing With Children). We're going to jump right into Handbook of Nature Study. We're also doing a more in depth geography unit this year using Trip Around the World. He'll stay with RS4K and I'm going to add some GSA as well.

I'm excited to have my 4 year old join us. Teaching him how to read/write and do math. He loves science so this is the first time I've gathered science materials for that age. We'll use ScienceWorks and Mudpies to Magnets. He's going to join my older ds in all of the extra subjects.

Other than our tried and true favorites, the majority of the materials I've decided to use next year I've never used before. I'm also trying to make a decision about BraveWriter?

We're also going to read more!!! I think other than getting my 4 year old reading and writing I'm actually focusing less on the basic, boring 3 r's and more on content this time....history, science, writing, arts, literature

We sort of floundered in workbook land this year. My ds likes them because they get done quickly, but I'm tired of them.

I'm excited that I won't be moving OR having a baby next year, so that hopefully I can follow through on my plans for history & science instead of just getting by on the basics.

I'm excited to be going back to an Ambleside schedule.

Sounds completely weird......but I'm excited about cleaning and organizing :D

we moved into this house a year ago, and the rooms are such weird shapes that I really ended up ????? over where to put everything. Now its like everything's clicked into place and I have this perfect setup that appeared in my head.

See, the trouble is we don't really have a schoolroom, and when the kids are older that would be fine, but right now I need lots of space and places to do things. So I've figured out a way to work *with* the houses design and create special nooks/learning spaces incorporated through various areas of the house.

So I have one month till school begins (21st May) and planned on doing a deep cleaning anyway, so now have been completely emptying rooms and re-arranging every room to something completely different. The kids are actually "helping" me throughout the whole process, as they know once its done, we start school (obviously they know we're starting a certain date, but its a lot easier for them to understand the timetable with relation to the house.

So for I have converted the study, kids bedroom & lounge room (and the kids closet for which I deserve a gold star :p ) tommorrow I'm going to work a bit on the bathroom and move some stuff I'm storing in my bedroom into the other storage room. Both the kids and I are unbelievably excited to be doing this, and they were happily playing in the "unfilled" lounge nook, squealing with excitement....then my enrichment box (whole bunch of activities, games etc for history) arrived in the post....and there was even more squealing...so now I am having some quiet time :tongue_smilie:

Science Fusion

and homeschooling with the realization that I don't have to follow along with the school curriculum and expectations. I had been doing this previously in case the kids wanted to go back but have realized that a lot more learning goes on if we do things our own way.