Menu

Wall Timelines...homemade!

Murrayshire

I want to make a Timeline Wall for my kids! I have the cd collection from homeschool in the woods for the figures. Plus, we have loads and loads of National Geo. magazines to cut from.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to make this timeline.....should I cover the wall with posterboard/bullentin board paper then draw the timeline on it with dates?? I can't aford to purchase one already prepared to smack on my wall.....so I'm left to do this.

The timeline book just isn't triggering my dc. So seeing it on the wall will be helpful and colorful!

Any suggestions of how to make this or any pictures of your own timeline wall would be soooo helpful!

Thank you!

:bigear:

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I kind of like the picture of the one on the wall on the Homeschool In the Woods website, but I havent figured out how she did it. I know she metioned something about strips of poster board? I was thinking about going and buying some fun color of masking tape? I dont know...it might not even come in fun colors?

Cant wait to hear what others think or have done!

We make our own, and they come out beautifully. Buy three--five poster board's, depending on the era. My preference is the boards with the "ghostline" grids printed lightly on them. No measuring or trying to get things straight... Just follow the preprinted graph paper type lines, and count how many squares apart to draw your lines. Adding events is easy on this paper too-- draw a line straight down from the date, then slanted down away for writing on.

We make our own, and they come out beautifully. Buy three--five poster board's, depending on the era. My preference is the boards with the "ghostline" grids printed lightly on them. No measuring or trying to get things straight... Just follow the preprinted graph paper type lines, and count how many squares apart to draw your lines. Adding events is easy on this paper too-- draw a line straight down from the date, then slanted down away for writing on.

Thank you sooo much...! This seems like it may work. :001_smile: I want Ancients all the way through Modern...so how many poster board's do you think I would need?

I LOVE this idea.

I love her blog and I've thought of this but really don't want to laminate all those cards. Plus I do want to utilize the figures cd that I already have! Thank you for helping and sharing!!:001_smile:

Do you have a picture?

Edited by fourcatmom

Were you able to download them? I cannot get it to work :sad:

You got me worried because I hadn't actually gotten around to printing them yet. I just tried and I have to admit it took me a bit to figure it out. I had to join that 4Share account that Lizards and Ladybugs links to. It didn't cost anything though. Just time. :001_smile: It took me a bit to read their screen... it seemed a bit "flashy" with all kinds of ads and stuff popping up but I was finally able to download the cards. Right now its says it's 41 pages but I think I will decrease the size so they are smaller like Satori did. I think it would be easier to manage if they are about half the size they are now.

Here are some close ups of the timeline I made for American history. It uses the posterboard with the ghost gridlines on it like a pp mentioned. I only used one posterboard and cut it in half lengthwise. Then I divided it into 12 columns, 12 "ghost" grid squares apart. We are only putting pictures on ours that have captions underneath them right now. The timeline is laminated so you could write on it if you wanted to do so, but the timeline picture are not.

I have the same CD as you do and have just started to print out my figures. I'm using the 2nd CD and sizing 2 of the images with the date and words onto an 8.5 x 11 paper. Then I'm printing them and coloring my figures while my daughter colors hers for her timeline book. We're putting them along the top of the wall in the same order as her book. Right now I'm just using tacky tape to stick them up but hanging them on a string looks pretty cute!

Here are some close ups of the timeline I made for American history. It uses the posterboard with the ghost gridlines on it like a pp mentioned. I only used one posterboard and cut it in half lengthwise. Then I divided it into 12 columns, 12 "ghost" grid squares apart. We are only putting pictures on ours that have captions underneath them right now. The timeline is laminated so you could write on it if you wanted to do so, but the timeline picture are not.

Thank you for posting these pictures!! When I get my wall ready I will show you guys! Yours looks so cool and I love the idea of laminating the poster boards, that way we can peel and stick!

Thank you for posting. It always me to actually see a picture. Great way to do a timeline.

You got me worried because I hadn't actually gotten around to printing them yet. I just tried and I have to admit it took me a bit to figure it out. I had to join that 4Share account that Lizards and Ladybugs links to. It didn't cost anything though. Just time. :001_smile: It took me a bit to read their screen... it seemed a bit "flashy" with all kinds of ads and stuff popping up but I was finally able to download the cards. Right now its says it's 41 pages but I think I will decrease the size so they are smaller like Satori did. I think it would be easier to manage if they are about half the size they are now.

Thank you. I will try that.

I have quite a few timeline resources (both homemade and purchased) on my Pinterest board...I have other History items on there too, but there are a lot of timelines as well...

http://pinterest.com/workofchildhood/history-and-timelines/

Oh my heck, I'm about to repin all of these!!!! So if you get a bazillion emails about someone repinning your links, it's just me :lol:

• 3 months later...

I think Homeschool in the Woods had a timeline help or how-to page that described how to do various types of timelines. I remember that she had it broken down in the measurements you should or could use to fit everything in without being too crowded or empty. Maybe check that out. It's my intention to try a wall time line using her helps (however, I haven't gotten that far yet! I better hurry....)