Menu

Brag Alert - PSAT Top 50,000

Dd (junior) just got the letter today telling her she was in the top 50,000 PSAT scores from this past fall. Yay!! Very proud of her for her hard work over the years, thankful to SWB for the help/structure/resources we have used over the years, and very relieved as I feel like I have confirmation that homeschooling through high school can work. :D Yes, I know it's just a test score! She prepped only minimally (I wasn't happy about that, but then again, I don't put much stock in these types of test scores, so I didn't push it), but I feel like a solid score indicates good things about her level of education.

Breathing a sigh of relief here, and feeling like this will lift my combination of hs-spring-burnout and stressed-parent-of-college-bound-junior for at least a day. :thumbup1:

I meant to mention, also, that we'll be in SWB's neck of the woods tomorrow; touring William and Mary in the morning. Great timing, as dd is now feeling buoyed for her campus visits. I just hope I can continue to keep her focused on her academics for the rest of the school year (a perpetual battle already; haha!).

Same here. I am proud of him. I know that he won't make the next cut to 16,000 but when you realize that he was the top 50,000 out of 1.5 million, that isn't too shabby. And then you realize how hard it is to actually be a semi-finalist.

Congrats to all who did well!!!

Dd is also in the 50K, which is great, but, I hate to say it, a consolation as while she got perfect in math & improved her critical thinking part, she had an off day on the writing part & so scored lower than she did in her sophomore year. Dd tends to test very well, and my second dd, who is just as bright, had a much harder time with standardized tests. However, now I know why we've been gettin postcards from the Ivies even though she didn't do as well has we'd expected. She'd never get in based on her score, of course, as I'm sure they expect higher than that plus a lot of things she just isn't willing to do.

Dd needs as many scholarships & grants as she can because we can't afford to pay for college/university, and so all of this has become much more important to us. She isn't yet capable of getting a job to save money (you'd have to know her to understand), so excelling in tests & academics are very important for her, but she doesn't ever study. I hae no idea how she's going to survive in college, but rumour has it that they do grow up and her prognosis has always been very good...