Menu

When would you rather go to Disneyworld

We are planning a trip to Disney and are trying to decide between going in mid August or at Thanksgiving. I'd appreciate pros and cons of each. We've only gone off peak times before (October or May) but can't now that oldest doesn't homeschool anymore.

The mid-August trip has the weather thing. In Florida in mid-August it is either miserably hot or raining or both. You can pretty much count on getting a storm through most afternoons. By late August/early September, things start to improve, but mid-August is likely to be unpleasant, weather-wise. And it's likely to be fairly crowded, too, with lots of other folks working in that last-minute, before-the-kids-go-back-to-school vacations.

Around Thanksgiving, though, you'll be looking at major, major crowds. The last time I checked, Thanksgiving week is one of three or four peak attendance times at the WDW parks. If you can hold off until the week after Thanksgiving (meaning beginning the Monday after the long Thanksgiving weekend), you'll be much better off: Attendance drops dramatically, and the weather is usually lovely.

I realize you said these were the only options, and I almost don't want to post this, since it's such a downer. I guess, though, really, you'll just have to decide which is better. It's likely to be crowded during both times, although the crowds will likely be more oppressive for the Thanksgiving dates. November usually has very nice weather, though, as opposed to August.

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend looking at http://www.allears.net/pl/planning.htm#when. Actually, the whole website is helpful, but this is their "When to Go" page, which has a link to some information about historic attendance levels.

Honestly, you can have a great time whenever you go, but knowing what to expect and being prepared will make all the difference.

If you can hold off until the week after Thanksgiving (meaning beginning the Monday after the long Thanksgiving weekend), you'll be much better off: Attendance drops dramatically, and the weather is usually lovely.

I have to agree with this. That was always my favorite time to go to any of the FL theme parks because the weather is so nice, and the crowds are so small. Absolutely fantastic.

But if that's not possible, I also would suggest November over August simply because of the weather. August is really hot. And humid. Yucky!

I have a friend who goes every Thanksgiving and has been since she was young and thats been over 30 some years ago, hey go as a family and enjoy it, says you get better deals, on everything no long lines and all stores half off or more. ...

To be honest, if those were the only two times I could go, I wouldn't go. But I hate heats and I hate crowds.

We just pull our kids out of school to go to Disney, but I realize that's not an option for everyone. (Our oldest is not in high school yet.)

Does you daughter have a spring break? A long weekend due to teacher inservice? I'd check out the Unofficial Guide's crowd calendar and check out crowd levels on those weeks. I'd rather have a shorter trip on a time with light crowds.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

Personally, I would rather deal with the heat than the crowds. August will be crowded but Thanksgiving will be off-the-chart crowded. I think I would feel that I was not getting my money's worth if I went at a peak season like that.

Either way, you might want to join the UG or TGM to help make a plan that maximizes your time in the parks.

I've been Thanksgiving week (2 or 3 years ago), and it didn't really start getting crowded until Wednesday. We went the weekend before T'giving through Wed., and I have very low tolerance for crowds. So yes, T'giving is crowded, but if you can go Sat.-Wed., you should be in good shape.

Terri

Our first trip was in mid-Sept and it was great. The crowds were low, there was still some heat, but not terrible. I think crowds were low because it's not a holiday time and kids all across the country are back in school by then. Don't got the week of Columbus Day. I went once then and the crowds were BAD! We did go once the 2nd week of December to see all the Christmas stuff and that was great, too.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

To be honest, if those were the only two times I could go, I wouldn't go. But I hate heats and I hate crowds.

:iagree:

A long weekend during an off-peak time, and not in the summer would be what I suggest. I'd never go in August or Thanksgiving weekend (unless it cost me absolutely nothing :tongue_smilie:)

Sorry.