Menu

Is this a typical public high school schedule?

Dh's cousin posted a picture of her 10th graders report card on facebook so the subjects were showing with the grades. I am going to post in the order she did the names of the courses:

Business and Personal Law II

Guided Study

Novel

Guided Study

Yoga/Muscle Pump

Guided Study

Symphonic Choir

Humanities: Romanesque through Realism

Is this a common high school line up?? What is all the guided study? I know they do a block schedule so 1/2 of the classes are 1 day then the other 1/2 are the next. Is this typical??

This is the second year my dd has been in ps and high school. I think the schedules vary based on the offerings of the school and the desires of the student. According to dd's school, each student heading to college needs up to 4 years of history and science (2 sciences with labs) and 4 years of high school math, English, and a foreign language. So I would guess this student isn't college bound, unless the guided studies are for science, math, and perhaps a foreign language. My dd has taken history, math, English, chem, Spanish, and Latin this year and struggles to find classes that are challenging, interesting and honors/AP. She attends one of the top rated public schools in FL.

Edited by wilrunner

Any idea what all of the guided study is?

When I taught high school (a few years ago now), Guided Study was pull-out - either for special ed or for extreme gifted / talented.

Since I don't see any traditional math, science, or English (I see Novel, but not language arts / writing), I would *guess* that at least 1 or 2 of the Guided Studies are individually-paced core subjects. Of course, some high schools now have these weird-funky schedules where a kid can go 3 semesters without having any math or language arts, too.

When I taught high school (a few years ago now), Guided Study was pull-out - either for special ed or for extreme gifted / talented.

Since I don't see any traditional math, science, or English (I see Novel, but not language arts / writing), I would *guess* that at least 1 or 2 of the Guided Studies are individually-paced core subjects. Of course, some high schools now have these weird-funky schedules where a kid can go 3 semesters without having any math or language arts, too.

I'm guessing this is a student in the gifted-talented program. The guided studies are probably for math and science and something else.

I'm guessing this is a student in the gifted-talented program. The guided studies are probably for math and science and something else.

That was my thought, too - a non-college-bound 10th grader is unlikely to be in humanities and business law (in my limited experience).

I'm trying to be sensitive to the word "special" as it applies to general education (GT is special, too).

That was my thought, too - a non-college-bound 10th grader is unlikely to be in humanities and business law (in my limited experience).

This is exactly why I am confused. As far as I know she isn't in gifted/talented. I don't even think she has plans beyond high school other than try to become a manager of where she is currently working. Its not a bad place by any means-- don't get me wrong-- but I am just lost by this one! I asked her mom about it and she said "I don't know I'm not her counselor" :001_huh:

She is definitely not in the gifted or talented program! Actually I was surprised by the fact that her mom was so impressed with the grades that she posted them on facebook in a brag post (2D's, 3C's 2B's and an A- in choir)

Maybe she has had learning challenges which she's been working through and those grades are an accomplishment for her. I'd just be very surprised to see those courses available to someone who is in classes below honors level. Could you ask your husband's cousin? I'm curious about the program she's in.

I do know that *sometimes* schools will call a class something non-traditional to make it sound fancier than it actually is (I have no idea if this is the case in this instance or not), but it still technically fits the state transcript requirements. I currently tutor high school kids from several different school districts, and have been startled by the class lists (so much so that I now ask right away for every kid, just because I'm fascinated with it).

(Off-topic, but one particularly confusing idea is "simultaneous maths" - the kids do a section of algebra, a section of geometry, a section of trig, and then cycle back through . . . so they take "simultaneous math" as a 3-year-long course instead of taking algebra, geometry, trig. Very odd, to me, and I don't (yet) see the benefit at all; it's very confusing for (some) students.)

Where I've seen guided study classes, the student has been pulled from a standard class needed for graduation because of a D or F grade and put into a small tutorial type classroom in order to help the student raise his/her grade and graduate on time.

Dh's cousin posted a picture of her 10th graders report card on facebook so the subjects were showing with the grades. I am going to post in the order she did the names of the courses:

Business and Personal Law II

Guided Study

Novel

Guided Study

Yoga/Muscle Pump

Guided Study

Symphonic Choir

Humanities: Romanesque through Realism

Is this a common high school line up?? What is all the guided study? I know they do a block schedule so 1/2 of the classes are 1 day then the other 1/2 are the next. Is this typical??

Not typical here at all. Here, you need 4 years of science, 4 years of math, 3-4 years of foreign language, 4 years of history, 2 fine arts credits, 3 health and phys ed credits, etc.

I've never seen anything like that. My 10th grade dd has a pretty typical schedule (well, if you don't count her 4 periods of dance, lol). I'm curious where the main subjects are (math, English, history, science). Please find out more and let us know.

This is what I was wondering when I first posted. I don't see English-- unless that is the 'Novel' I have never seen an English class called that thoguh. I see no math unless there is some business math integration with the business class? History-- the Humanities??? That is a stretch. And I see no science what so ever.

When I asked her mom about it all she said to me was "I don't know I'm not her counselor" I think she is a very hands off mom when it comes to school.

I do know that *sometimes* schools will call a class something non-traditional to make it sound fancier than it actually is (I have no idea if this is the case in this instance or not), but it still technically fits the state transcript requirements. I currently tutor high school kids from several different school districts, and have been startled by the class lists (so much so that I now ask right away for every kid, just because I'm fascinated with it).

(Off-topic, but one particularly confusing idea is "simultaneous maths" - the kids do a section of algebra, a section of geometry, a section of trig, and then cycle back through . . . so they take "simultaneous math" as a 3-year-long course instead of taking algebra, geometry, trig. Very odd, to me, and I don't (yet) see the benefit at all; it's very confusing for (some) students.)

That is what math is like here in Canada. While grade 10 math may have a heavier focus on algebra everything is covered, and grade 12 math may have a heavier focus on trig but again everything is covered. Taking separate classes for each section of math was something I have not heard of before talking with American homeschoolers.

Not at all typical in my part of the world. Science? Math? And what in the world is "guided study"?

I was curious so I did some googling this morning. Guided study is for students who are receiving low grades. They are given time blocks to work with a teacher to help pull their grades up.

The other classes the OP listed appear to be for grade 11 & 12 students. The humanities class is a language arts class.

Edited by TrixieB

I was curious so I did some googling this morning. Guided study is for students who are receiving low grades. They are given time blocks to work with a teacher to help pull their grades up.

I see. And the mother is proud that her daughter is doing well in the program. Perhaps the girl is getting on track which should be celebrated.

The other classes the OP listed appear to be for grade 11 & 12 students. The humanities class is a language arts class.

I was wrong. She is 11th grade :blush: Our niece is 10th, dd is 8th, I know this :001_huh: They all used to be cute little toddlers though and they keep growing up to fast :glare: Well I feel bad now then. If she is struggling and has pulled grades up then that would be an accomplishment. I didn't post anything though thank goodness!