Menu

SO ANGRY.... 18+ please

Okay....so I was just watching an NBC Dateline special program with my two kids (10 and 8) and my daughter's friend (11). The program was on Stranger Danger. Although the show was geared toward parents, it was also very appropriate for children to watch. It showed how kids reacted to strangers trying to lure them to give personal information or trying to lure them into car, etc. It was informative and I was pleased....UNTIL...... a commercial came on for another NBC program (i wish I could remember the name) which, clearly, was adult in nature. It was one of those crime shows (CSI-like). BUT in the commercial...they showed a woman being raped!!!! It was a scene about a husband being forced to watch a video of his wife being raped:angry: It all happened so quickly and I (naively) wasn't expecting it so I didn't have time to change the channel. (It was on mute, but still.) It was only 6:30 pm, so I wasn't expecting that! So. Angry. Want to write a nasty letter to NBC. URGH.

I hear you . . . we used to watch the annual showing of "The Ten Commandments" around Eastertime on ABC . . . real family friendly evening, right? Until the commercials came on. A few years ago we just bought the movie as I was so disgusted with the commercials. :glare:

We DVR pretty much everything now so we can fast forward the commercials. We love a few shows on Sci-Fi, but the commercials are often for shows with ghosts/spirits/haunting and they scare my DD to death. She had nightmares for weeks after ONE of those commericals. Ugh.

We have that problem all the time with sports games. The ads during a hockey game are SO varied (grocery items, insurance, and now SCARY DRAMA with an ad that's definitely not PG). I'd love it if they could make the ads conform to the ratings of the show being aired.

We DVR pretty much everything now so we can fast forward the commercials. We love a few shows on Sci-Fi, but the commercials are often for shows with ghosts/spirits/haunting and they scare my DD to death. She had nightmares for weeks after ONE of those commericals. Ugh.

:iagree: I actually insist that the kids fast forward through commercials even on their kid shows, because I just don't like the "media hype" of whatever it is they are selling this week. We DVR everything I plan to let them watch - then we can watch it at our own convenience, stop it if needed in the middle (I told you to take care of that!! Go do it RIGHT NOW! lol), and skip commercials.

Okay....so I was just watching an NBC Dateline special program with my two kids (10 and 8) and my daughter's friend (11). The program was on Stranger Danger. Although the show was geared toward parents, it was also very appropriate for children to watch. It showed how kids reacted to strangers trying to lure them to give personal information or trying to lure them into car, etc. It was informative and I was pleased....UNTIL...... a commercial came on for another NBC program (i wish I could remember the name) which, clearly, was adult in nature. It was one of those crime shows (CSI-like). BUT in the commercial...they showed a woman being raped!!!! It was a scene about a husband being forced to watch a video of his wife being raped:angry: It all happened so quickly and I (naively) wasn't expecting it so I didn't have time to change the channel. (It was on mute, but still.) It was only 6:30 pm, so I wasn't expecting that! So. Angry. Want to write a nasty letter to NBC. URGH.

Exercise in futility.