Menu

Please help me with this latin choice- LC, LL, LP?

sassenach

Here's the deal. We have never done latin. Dd is going into 6th grade and I'm structuring our year so I can really focus on subjects that we've pushed off in the past. I own LC1, teacher and student books. I've been studying it for the past week and I'm starting to really get confused. I really don't think that the TM alone has enough instruction. I am now debating whether to ditch it all together or to buy the dvd's that go with it.

On one hand, I like the simplicity of it. The clean pages, the way things are introduced. I'm thinking that the dvd's might have that needed bit of information for me to *get* it.

On the other hand, I'm tempted to just sell it and find something new. I was following the other thread about starting latin in 6th grade and I have a few questions.

Lively Latin- Looking over the website, there seems to be a large focus on history. Am I wrong about this? I don't mind a little history mixed in, but I want the primary focus to be on latin itself. We have a full history plate as it is.

Galore park- I like what I see, but there seems to be a lot in each chapter. How long should I plan to stretch out a chapter? Also, is there any US stores that I can buy this from?

On both LL and LP, would these be good choices for me to teach with ZERO latin knowledge? Would I be better off just getting the LC dvd's?

Thank you for any and all input!

Lively Latin does not have a huge emphasis on history, the main focus is on Latin language. That said, each lesson includes a story about Roman history, with a famous painting that correlates, and questions that go along with it. I find them a bonus, but not at all the focus of the program. As for LC, I have not cared for it, we tried PL and it just was not our style. I tried Latin Primer (Douglas Wilson) because someone gave it to me, but it was too much work for me, and very little practice (unless I created worksheets). So LL has beena good fit for us. It is pricey, but it is so simple to implement, and I think it covers a lot at a very good pace. I also like the way it includes dictionary skills and vocabulary exercises.

Galore park- I like what I see, but there seems to be a lot in each chapter. How long should I plan to stretch out a chapter? Also, is there any US stores that I can buy this from?

On both LL and LP, would these be good choices for me to teach with ZERO latin knowledge?

With dc#1, he does one exercise each day, along with whatever reading/explanation is associated with that exercise. Unless it is a very short, very easy exercise. Then we do two. For my dc#2, she will be adding in the workbooks, too, as she needs more practice to cement things. So, for her, she will do the text book exercise one day, then the corresponding workbook page/s on subsequent days, before moving on to the next exercise.

Ray's Horrible Books is a U.S. distributer. He bulk orders periodically through out the year, and then ships to you from California. He offers a discount on the books. If you need it quicker than he can deliver, you can order from Book Depository and get free shipping to the U.S.

The explanations in Latin Prep are so excellent, and the introduction of new information is so incremental, I would say that some one with no Latin experience could teach from them. And if you get stumped there is the Galore Park Yahoo! Group that Laura in China started. The author of the book is on that group; he and the other parents are quick to answer questions.

Good luck on your decision making!

I have no Latin experience and we really like Lively Latin. I don't think there's an emphasis on the history at all. We usually do the history from each Lesson in one sitting anyways, instead of breaking it into sections. I don't know how Lively Latin compares to Latin Prep, but it seems like it gets a lot of good reviews too.

Dd (11) did LC1 last year. She memorized all the vocab and conjugations, filled in all the blanks, and feels she hardly knows anything. It's a lot of unconnected memorizing, resulting in seemingly useless knowledge.

Fortunately, ds(16) did Henle 1 last year. Just my style, not necessarily ds's. Great explanations, lots of practice. Without the explanantions in Henle, LC1 would have made no sense at all. I didn't have the LC TE, but the student edition has vitually no explanations for any of the grammar.

A few months ago, due to extreme disinterest and lack of enthusiasm from both dc, we started Lingua Latina. Lo and behold, she could understand the first lesson! Must have learned something in LC1 after all!

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Latin Prep in a (possibly futile) effort to drum up some enthusiasm. I haven't quite talked myself into the $ though, because I also have Cambridge Latin 2, Wheelock, Jenney's 1 and 2, Our Latin Heritage 1 and 2, Lingua Latina Viva 1 and 2, Latin for the First Year, Andrew's Latin Reader and Caesar's Gallic Wars Interlinear edition on my shelves. Seems like one of them should work? :confused:

I'm seriously thinking about switching to Latin Prep in a (possibly futile) effort to drum up some enthusiasm. I haven't quite talked myself into the $ though, because I also have Cambridge Latin 2, Wheelock, Jenney's 1 and 2, Our Latin Heritage 1 and 2, Lingua Latina Viva 1 and 2, Latin for the First Year, Andrew's Latin Reader and Caesar's Gallic Wars Interlinear edition on my shelves. Seems like one of them should work? :confused:

This is a bit of a tangent, but in case it helps the OP as well:

The issue here is that there really is no self-teaching Latin textbook that will get you beyond the very beginnings of the language. Lively Latin comes close to being self-teaching, but it is an elementary program and will not take an older student very far. Henle has good, clear grammar explanations and it's what I usually recommend for middle school for parents with little or no Latin background. But most textbooks assume an experienced Latin teacher. It's not a matter of the textbook working; it's a matter of having a teacher who can work the textbook. :)

For the OP: I would consider 6th grade at the upper edge of the age range for LC. It might well be too easy. I would say the same of Lively Latin; both are really aimed at 3rd or 4th graders. I haven't used Latin Prep myself, but from the samples I've seen and the people I've talked to about it, it sounds like it might be a better match for your dc's age. Henle is another option. I know lots of kids who use it successfully starting in 5th or 6th grade. It's an older textbook and can be a bit dry, but there is an online study group to help with any questions that come up. HTH some!

I second this; for 6th grade, I'd use either Latin Prep or Henle. And the yahoogroups for both will gladly help you over the rough patches.

You could aim for about a book a year with Latin Prep - that's not too slow a pace. OTOH, if your dc pick it up easily, they could go faster. A book of year should give you time to get through the material without having to rush, with taking time to stop, review, and practice.

IMO Latin Prep is more appealing for 6th graders in general, but Henle is more thorough.

I've found that the DVD's for our Prima Latina really add more to the program then what is in the teacher manual and student book . I understand the program much more then if I just had the teacher manual , student book and CD . I don't think I could teach PL , or in this fact LC 1 pretty soon without the DVD's .

The teacher on the DVD explains the lessons in a very clear manner so that everyone understands .

One thing I disagree with is that its all unconnected memorizing . I don't agree with that at all . My daughters have no problem learning the words and applying them. Maybe its because I add other things to our learning the language such as writing the words on paper and having them draw pictures , making up word searches , and discussing the derivatives . Even tonight I was reading a story to my daughters and my 10 year old saw the word Fortunatley and said " Mom , look , fortuna ! " I stopped for a moment and she pointed to fortunatley , she said , that must mean lucky ( which fortuna means Luck ) . So I don't see that with us while using the LC series at all . Maybe we are branching things out beyond what the workbooks give us . But we do our chants every day and try to come up with fun ways or fun games to apply it to everyday life at the same time . Or just maybe Prima Latina works for my girls . I'm not sure . But there are everyday sayings in the program that can be used .

I can't tell you which is best . But I do think the DVD's add ALOT more to the program . I don't think my daughters would be this interested in learning Latin had I been teaching it myself . I think if we didn't have the DVD's we would of dropped it along time ago . But this is just all my two cents .

I'm also finding with foreign language , unless you have a foreign language thirsty kid that starting from the beginning is only going to give them more confidence in the language. I feel that with other subjects like math and reading , history and science you can up the anty and really challenge them. But with foreign language that unless you live in a family that speaks foreign languages you aren't going to get that same enthusiasm as we come from a country that doesn't emphasise learning foreign languages .

I started my 10 year old with Prima Latina which is geared towards K-2nd graders . I can honestly say that I have a VERY confident child that isn't frustrated with learning Latin at all but LOVES it . She may work faster through it then her 3rd grade and K sister . But she is SO very confident .

I've actually met some moms with 6th graders that are starting them in Prima Latina and if they blow through it fine . They just want them to enjoy it . Not dread it or hate it .

So what if your child is in 6th grade . What is more important ? His grade level or his confidence . I'm not saying to start him in PL but LC 1 would be a good start . If he goes through the program quickly , then fine .

I think one would rather do that then try to plow through Henle with a child that has not Latin experience at all .

Even I at age 32 have found that Prima Latina works at just a fine pace for me to learn Latin and its helping me feel confident teaching my daughters Latin as well . Though I'm sure I could challenge myself a little more with it .

I have a friend who just bought LfC to use with her 6th and 7th grade dc and seems to find it a good fit. At that point it's something they can use somewhat independently because of the extensive explanations in the student text. LC, which we use, is very teacher-driven and really requires you to grapple with the material. Yes, it's a lot of parts for a long time. My dd did it with a co-op class, so mercifully I didn't have to plow through the tm alone, just enough to help her drill and have a clue what she should be practicing. I probably wouldn't have bought LC if I had had to teach it all myself. :( They had the dvd's for the co-op class and didn't enjoy them, sorry. Maybe others do. Like the others said, LL seems to young in approach for a 6th grader. I'd look at either LfC or Latin Prep.