Menu

Grammar for 6 th grade?

My son just finished up Growing With Grammar. Prior to that, over the years, we have done levels of FLL

Do I continue with grammar in 6th grade? He felt much of GwG was review, and easy.. However I liked that it was presented in small chunks that didnot overwhelm him...

He has dysgraphia, so writing is physically hard...

Well, after FLL4 and some time floundering about, we switched to Rod and Staff. I am really, really not a rod and staff person, but most of our floundering was due to avoiding R&S. My son also found GWG to be easy.

R&S has been workable. I started him at grade level and we skip the writing assignments (we are using WWS) and anything else that we already covered. I mostly do grammar orally with him. Or, I write out sentences on a white board and give it to him to label or diagram. There is a workbook and I have him to that only when it is applicable. I usually have him to half of the worksheet. Mostly I have him do the sheets that involve diagramming. My kid likes diagramming :001_huh:

I mostly do grammar orally with him. Or, I write out sentences on a white board and give it to him to label or diagram. There is a workbook and I have him to that only when it is applicable. I usually have him to half of the worksheet. Mostly I have him do the sheets that involve diagramming.

:iagree: OP, I think doing R&S orally would work well for you. We used R&S for 3 yrs. before switching dd to CLE LA, per her request. She just loves the workbook format of the light units. :) R&S was working well, both orally and written.

I will look into R&S... I do have 2 others schooling and a toddler..so sometimes something that can be done a bit more independently works better in the daily schedule..

as long as he isn't writing paragraphs.. he does fine with short sentences or answers.. even diagraming.. tho sometimes I have to turn my head sideways to read it.. lol

For a child with dysgraphia I suggest Winston Grammar.

Yep! dd11 has dysgraphia and she just finished Winston this year and has learned and retained a ton. I think taking the stress of the writing aspect helped her concentrate on the Grammar. We will take this year off from grammar to concentrate on writing and vocab.

Sorry for the hijack:tongue_smilie: I also posted this on the K-8 board, but I see people here that actually use this program!!

Could someone who uses the Hake/Saxon help me figure out if my daughter has to do the 5 or if she could just go into 6. I love the looks of this program and I wish I had seen it last year. My daughter will be going into 6th grade in the fall and I am wondering if she can just start with the 6th grade book. She has been doing ILL, WWE, Daily Grams, Apples Spelling Drills, McGuffey (reading, spelling, vocab, copywork, dictation, and awesome discussions:) We love our McGuffey:D) Vocabulary from Classical Roots and some Easy Grammar:tongue_smilie:

S

Could someone who uses the Hake/Saxon help me figure out if my daughter has to do the 5 or if she could just go into 6.

I haven't used Hake, yet, but I plan to put our rising 6th grade son into Hake 6 next year...skipping 5. There seems to be a lot of overlap, and with the grammar background he has, I think he will be fine.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So here's a question...If your child going into 6th grade hasn't had a strong background in grammar (will have completed R&S 4 and 1/2 of ILL), then should she start with Hake 5 or 6?

I think I'm going with Hake 5. We can either accelerate it, skip parts, or just continue grammar into 9th grade if necessary.

Sorry for the hijack:tongue_smilie: I also posted this on the K-8 board, but I see people here that actually use this program!!

Could someone who uses the Hake/Saxon help me figure out if my daughter has to do the 5 or if she could just go into 6. I love the looks of this program and I wish I had seen it last year. My daughter will be going into 6th grade in the fall and I am wondering if she can just start with the 6th grade book. She has been doing ILL, WWE, Daily Grams, Apples Spelling Drills, McGuffey (reading, spelling, vocab, copywork, dictation, and awesome discussions:) We love our McGuffey:D) Vocabulary from Classical Roots and some Easy Grammar:tongue_smilie:

My son has used Hake 5 - 7 and my dd is using Hake 5. I definitely think you could go straight to Hake 6.

My son has used Hake 5 - 7 and my dd is using Hake 5. I definitely think you could go straight to Hake 6.

I agree. Hake 5 and 6 are *very* similar. I compared the topical grammar lessons in Hake 5 and 6. Out of approximately 110 lessons, Hake 6 introduces only 8 new topical lessons that are not in Hake 5. So there is a lot of repetition between those two levels. In fact, I've read that some people spread a level of Hake over two years, due to it containing so much review, using level 6 and then skipping to level 8. HTH!