Menu

Phonics for older reader

mrshomework

I have a 2rd grader that reads well but when it comes to larger words or words she is not familiar with she has a hard time pronouncing them. I try to remind her of the phonics rules but she seems to have forgotten them. We have been doing ETC 7 and CLP Building spelling skills 2 this year and she breezes through it but I don't see it helping. What suggestions do you have? I want something with good phonics review.

We have tried AAS1 but I would like something more budget friendly.

Thanks,

Diana

I found a great set of flash cards at a teacher supply store. I used those to review the more complex vowel sounds. We spent some time going over each sound, then just flipped theough the cards for a week or two. It was cheap and easy to do.

my son is also in grade 2 and reads really well. we use HOP master reader with him. it really bridges children into more complex chapter books. the main focus in syllabication (breaking down larger words). it is computer based. it has 4 levels, 10 lessons with each level. after each lesson, the student has a reading card. after each level, they read a chapter book. each lesson and book grows in complexity. the website has great samples of the program. however i wouldn't buy it from there. i found ours used for $45. hope this helps.

Phonics Pathways by Dolores Hiske. Inexpensive and effective.

This is excellent. The companion book "Reading Pathways" explicitly teaches reading large words, via an incremental "pyramid" approach, and would probably work better for a child who already reads. We do 2 pages each day, one mastered and one newer, until they are both read well and then we drop the first and add another, and do those two until they are mastered. This takes just a few minutes but has helped enormously.

my son is also in grade 2 and reads really well. we use HOP master reader with him. it really bridges children into more complex chapter books. the main focus in syllabication (breaking down larger words). it is computer based. it has 4 levels, 10 lessons with each level. after each lesson, the student has a reading card. after each level, they read a chapter book. each lesson and book grows in complexity. the website has great samples of the program. however i wouldn't buy it from there. i found ours used for $45. hope this helps.

:iagree:I used this with my 2nd grader this year. I also bought mine used off of Ebay for much cheaper than it is new.

• 4 weeks later...