Menu

horrible sore throat due to sinus drainage

it's me and my throat feels like it is on fire. I am not congested, but I can tell that I have some sinus drainage. Can anybody tell me what I can do tonight to help my throat not hurt quite so bad? I already tried warm honey, lemon water...didn't help at all. I hate to take medicine, but will a pain reliever help at all??

gargling with salt water will "clean" your throat becasue the drainage going down the back is what is making it sore.

a decongestant will help dry up the sinusus and reduce drainage that is making your throat sore. do remember some decongestants will keep you awake. (you said you weren't congested - but if there is any, mucinex is fabulous at thinning secretions to help drain the sinusus - drink LOTS of water.)

ibruprophen is an anti-inflamitory and would probably be the most appropriate analgesic.

throat coat is awesome tea. I drink it several times a day when my throat is bad. I also like the Herbitussin tea for congestion.

the herb sage in warm water makes a good gargle, it dulls the pain.

try probiotics as well. I know when I eat a LOT of plain yogurt it helps my sore throats.

I've been reading about elderberry syrup, it seems to help.