Menu

Can't get the eggs to form stiff peaks for Resurrection cookies

What kind of bowl are you using? I find eggs and whipping cream do best in a cold metal bowl. Plastic does not work well at all, ceramic or glass is okay, but metal holds the cold and helps form peaks faster.

Also, make sure you use the highest setting on your mixer.

Unless there is something odd in the ingredients, I don't know what would cause them not to form peaks. Sorry the cookies are not working out :(

Is there anything unusual in the mix? I have done it with sugar and a bit of salt.

Guess we'll try again next year.

I don't know why this is so bumming me out! They are just cookies that you make and read scripture along with the addition of each ingredient--then you put them in the oven overnight (turn oven off) and in the morning, they have puffed and are hollow inside to symbolize the empty tomb.

I just so wanted to make these with dd, and she was excited, too.

I know you said cold metal bowl, but did but did you try setting the metal bowl down in another metal bowl filled with ice? Sometimes that helps.

Also, the bowl and beaters must be completely clean. Any trace of oil or fat from mixing something previously can cause them not to peak.

Sorry it didn't work out this year. I've never tried to make them, but I will try them next year if I remember.

Not sure if this will help, but for whipped cream I use cold ingredients and a cold bowl, but for egg whites, I've found it's better to have room temp eggs and a warm bowl. Obviously even the smallest speck of egg yolk will prevent them from foaming, but even the slightest bit of dishwashing soap in the bowl can do the same thing. I always freshly rinse the stainless steel bowl in hot water and dry it well to make sure there's no residue. Hope they work the next time you try to make them.